Fusion Coming to Flat Rock

If mazda moved out AAI today, it would take months to retool it to the Scope the 555 million dollar investment entails. These production moves take months to plan and months to execute.

The $555m also includes changeover expenses for the next gen Mustang as well.

The 6 and current Fusion are related. I would think change over to the CD4 would be relatively similar at both AAI and HAP.

Where is the CD4 Mondeo being built? With the small number of sales in Europe, is there any chance it could be built at AAI?

The 6 and current Fusion are related. I would think change over to the CD4 would be relatively similar at both AAI and HAP.

Where is the CD4 Mondeo being built? With the small number of sales in Europe, is there any chance it could be built at AAI?

Well the CD3 and the CD4 are two different animals...the CD4 an updated/modified EUCD platform. The EUCD for one has a longer wheelbase and might be slightly wider then the CD3.

I doubt that the Mondeo will be built in NA...they where going to build the Kuga in the States, but that got nixed...I guess they are expecting to sell a shit load of Escapes and the Lincoln Escape that they won't have any room for it.

Well the CD3 and the CD4 are two different animals...the CD4 an updated/modified EUCD platform. The EUCD for one has a longer wheelbase and might be slightly wider then the CD3.

I doubt that the Mondeo will be built in NA...they where going to build the Kuga in the States, but that got nixed...I guess they are expecting to sell a shit load of Escapes and the Lincoln Escape that they won't have any room for it.

I was just pointing out that both HAP and AAI are currently producing a CD3 variant. So when they change over, they will both be starting from a similar base.

Mondeo hasn't been a strong seller in Europe lately. That size car in general has been declining there. I can understand not exporting something to EU that is a strong seller there, but with limited EU sales, does it make sense to have a 3rd plant somewhere making CD4?

That could work better than the traditional stockpiling of the old car while the new car is built up. the Way I see it either way they are going to be short. If mazda moved out AAI today, it would take months to retool it to the Scope the 555 million dollar investment entails. These production moves take months to plan and months to execute. I guess We will have to wait to hear the details of the New car in a few months.

Who's to say that Ford hasn't been planning all of this for months before hand and are ready to jump once the UAW contract is ratified,

as you mentioned a few posts ago, all new Fusion is still almost a year away, so plenty of time...

The US Fiesta's 1.6 is made in Brazil.

My mistake but I suspect that Ford is also looking to invest a lot more in Mexico as well...

I was just pointing out that both HAP and AAI are currently producing a CD3 variant. So when they change over, they will both be starting from a similar base.

Mondeo hasn't been a strong seller in Europe lately. That size car in general has been declining there. I can understand not exporting something to EU that is a strong seller there, but with limited EU sales, does it make sense to have a 3rd plant somewhere making CD4?

Not a chance. Ford would have to close its Gent plant in doing so and closing a plant in Europe is next to impossible.

Also, that would require the next S-Max and Galaxy to be built in Flat Rock. Not sure if their is enough room or flexibility to carry all of them.

Also, Ford probably wants all the room at Flat Rock for the Fusion. They want to raise sales 50% here in the US. My bet the sales projections for Canada and Brazil are around the same, possibly more for Brazil.

Who's to say that Ford hasn't been planning all of this for months before hand and are ready to jump once the UAW contract is ratified,

as you mentioned a few posts ago, all new Fusion is still almost a year away, so plenty of time...

My mistake but I suspect that Ford is also looking to invest a lot more in Mexico as well...

My bet its getting the 1.6EB of course...and EcoSport.

The $555m also includes changeover expenses for the next gen Mustang as well.

they would be foolish to take the plant down for the Fusion then take it down again for the mustang.

I suspect they are going to make major changes for the Fusion and in anticipation for the 2014 mustang which is not that far away.

It would be reasonable to assume that AAI's or Flat Rock's capacity would not be needed immediately. that ford could wait until late next year, to take it down. being that the plant is so under used it Could be possible to condense 8 months of sales into 3 months of production. something HAP could not do.

They added The Scorpion to Chihuahua, and it is a global inline engine plant, So (1.8,2.0, 2.3 and 2.5) the tooling at chihuahua should be able to accommodate the 1.6, I would Also keep the options open for the 1.0 I-3 to be made on this continent, there is alot of commonality between the 1.6 and the 1.0.

It would be reasonable to assume that AAI's or Flat Rock's capacity would not be needed immediately. that ford could wait until late next year, to take it down. being that the plant is so under used it Could be possible to condense 8 months of sales into 3 months of production. something HAP could not do.

AAI will only produce 2013 models so of course it wont be coming on line right away. Hermosillo will use the next 6 months

over the relatively quiet period to build up inventories and keep well in front of next summers peak demand. During that time,

AAI could be made ready and come on line this time next year and carries the load over the end of 2012 while sales are relatively

low and old stock is run out. HAP could then re emerge in early 2013 ready for peak season.

They added The Scorpion to Chihuahua, and it is a global inline engine plant, So (1.8,2.0, 2.3 and 2.5) the tooling at chihuahua should be able to accommodate the 1.6, I would Also keep the options open for the 1.0 I-3 to be made on this continent, there is alot of commonality between the 1.6 and the 1.0.

A very logical move.

Edited by jpd80

I misread the PR Cleveland is receiving the small displacement engine family, not Hermosillo. That could mean the 1.6 EB and even the 1.0 could be made there, with the 2.0 EB going to Dearborn but more likely Mexico.

Since these motors are so critical to the performance of north America's main products the fusion, escape, focus and fiesta. In addition to the edge and explorer. There will have to be extensive capacity in north America to serve that demand.

It also looks like the next Gen HEVs will use the 1.6 or a smaller variant of it in the c-max.

Edited by Biker16

I mis read the UAW PR Cleveland is receiving the small displacement engine family, not Hermosillo. That could mean the 1.6 EB and even the 1.0 could be made there, with the 2.0 EB going to Dearborn but more likely Mexico.

Since these motors are so critical to the performance of north America's main products the ffusion, escape, focus and fiesta. In addition to the edge and explorer. There will have to be extensive capacity in north America to serve that demand.

It also looks like the next Gen HEVs will use the 1.6 or a smaller variant of it in the c-max.

Good call, it looks like several new engines will be joining the fold...

Dearborn Engine Plant:

In support of Ford's leadership in fuel economy initiatives, incremental capacity will be added to the plant for the 2.0L I4 engine.

Would addition of Ecoboost to Dearborn's 2.0 DI engine line be an "incremental" increase?

I think so..

Lima Engine Plant:

The popular Duratec 3.5/3.7L V6 continues and a new industry leading small V6 will be added to the plant at an investment of $400M.

Sounds 2.7 V6 "Nano" - possibly DI and most likely in Ecoboost version as well..

Cleveland Engine Site

The plant is awarded a new fl exible small displacement engine assembly line.

Looks like this will be 1.6 and 1.6 EB but could also include 1.0 I-3 EB as well. Edited by jpd80

Now used car buyers are going to have to be VIN decoders on these Fusions to make sure you get a mexican one. Used to be this way on the late 90's Cavaliers. The less junky ones were mexican, the real shitty ones were built in Ohio.

Create some new success on a new platform based on what made this one successful and let this one continue as is.

I sound like a hater but my business sense says this is dumb.

Now used car buyers are going to have to be VIN decoders on these Fusions to make sure you get a mexican one. Used to be this way on the late 90's Cavaliers. The less junky ones were mexican, the real shitty ones were built in Ohio.

Create some new success on a new platform based on what made this one successful and let this one continue as is.

It wasn't where they were built....the late 90's Cavaliers were all crap....for me, I am ready to trade in my 2006 Fusion for a 2013 Fusion built at a union plant in the USA :happy feet:

You don't need a vin decoder. All you have to do is look at the first number in the vin. If it is a 3 then it is built in Mexico.

:do what: :do what: :do what: