SEMA

Autoblog

Does the Cooper S have a super in it? I wonder which is better, Super or Turbo? VW makes a Twin-charger but I don't know the take rate. if the 2013 Fiesta has some more goodies, I would consider a trade-in of my 11. I don't think my family would go for it though ;)

Just don't let anyone drive the Focus or they'll find out about the 6 speed "spasmatic" transmission and the joy of having your whole car shudder for no apparent reason.

No kidding. I wonder if any vendors exhibiting at the SEMA show will debut aftermarket software recalibrations for the Ford PowerShift (similar to GIAC's offering for the VW/BorgWarner DSG)? :headscratch:

My Powershift has been fine since I had a TSB applied at the last service. If I have a complaint is there is a lag if you have to mash the pedal in a hurry. I found it perhaps a little slower then a good manual shift. I noticed the Mazda 3 uses a torque converter as well as a wet-clutch setup in their Mazda 3 MZR 20 DI/6A setup. Perhaps that helps with the issue I have.

Sorry to hear that your Powershift is acting up. When was your car built? The Powershift tranny in my 2012 Focus is one of the best things about the car.

I bought mine in early May. It hunts for gears at low speed and when it shifts from 1st to 2nd you can hear the clutches rattle. At around 35 / 40 mph the whole car starts to shudder and often shudders when pulling away from a standing stop. I took it to the Ford dealer and the maintenance shop foreman took a ride with me. The car did everything I just described and he told me that it was all normal and there was nothing they could do about it. I'm thinking "If this is normal then Ford has engineered a real POS." I have an appointment on Monday morning with the dealership. I'm going to take the car in and have them put on paper that everything the car is doing is normal. If this is "normal" I want it documented by Ford so that if later on the tranny takes a dump they can't complain that I never made an effort to have the transmission looked at.

Edited by BlackHorse

Autoblog

Does the Cooper S have a super in it? I wonder which is better, Super or Turbo? VW makes a Twin-charger but I don't know the take rate. if the 2013 Fiesta has some more goodies, I would consider a trade-in of my 11. I don't think my family would go for it though ;)

The first gen Cooper S had a supercharger, the current Cooper S has a turbo. The turbo engine is superior to the supercharged engine in every way, but that might be unique to the MINI and not a general situation.

In general, I think turbos are superior on smaller engines because of the parasitic power loss of the s/c. It might also be true that a turbo functions better with DI, but I don't know that for sure.

I bought mine in early May. It hunts for gears at low speed and when it shifts from 1st to 2nd you can hear the clutches rattle. At around 35 / 40 mph the whole car starts to shudder and often shudders when pulling away from a standing stop. I took it to the Ford dealer and the maintenance shop foreman took a ride with me. The car did everything I just described and he told me that it was all normal and there was nothing they could do about it. I'm thinking "If this is normal then Ford has engineered a real POS." I have an appointment on Monday morning with the dealership. I'm going to take the car in and have them put on paper that everything the car is doing is normal. If this is "normal" I want it documented by Ford so that if later on the tranny takes a dump they can't complain that I never made an effort to have the transmission looked at.

Mine will at a running start have a shudder as it engages, like a manual. I think that's why Mazda 3 has the TC for that purpose. The 35-40 shudder, I can't recall. I'm going to go for a cruise this weekend to see if my car does this. Have you seen the 'Powershift' demo video posted here? If this doesn't help I wish you best of luck getting this squared away.

My 2012 Focus was built in early August. For the first thousand miles or so, the tranny had the occasional rough shift, especially the 3rd to 4th gear engagement. With over 3,000 miles on the odometer now, it shifts like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission. Very smooth. I'm very impressed by this thing.

My 2012 Focus was built in early August. For the first thousand miles or so, the tranny had the occasional rough shift, especially the 3rd to 4th gear engagement. With over 3,000 miles on the odometer now, it shifts like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission. Very smooth. I'm very impressed by this thing.

I'm at 8000 miles and its worse now that it was when I bought it. I've already purchased a Toyota to replace the thing and as soon as I can trade this thing off without losing my shirt its getting traded for a 2nd Toyota. Ford has lost a customer with me.

• Like 1

I'm at 8000 miles and its worse now that it was when I bought it. I've already purchased a Toyota to replace the thing and as soon as I can trade this thing off without losing my shirt its getting traded for a 2nd Toyota. Ford has lost a customer with me.

Sorry for your troubles BlackHorse. Best of luck with your trade.

What Toyota did you get?

What Toyota did you get?

2011 Tacoma Crew Cab V6 PreRunner. It didn't take me long after I bought a house to realize that I needed a truck. What I didn't need is a fullsize truck that wouldn't fit in my garage. This is why I was one of the posters that was so vocal about getting the T6 Ranger here in the US to replace the current and might I say outdated Ranger. But Ford seems satisfied to just give the segment to Toyota and Nissan. So, Toyota it is. I like the Nissan but they are just having too many transmissions give out because of the coolant leak that gets in the tranny and ruins it. Nissan refuses to admit its a systemic problem.

The Tacoma is just small enough to be easy to drive and manuver around town, in parking lots and into parkings spaces and I'm still getting about 18 mpg around town with the V6. It is an ideal size truck for a homeowner who doesn't need the overkill of an F150 or other 1500 series truck. Being that its a Crew Cab means if I want to load up some friends and take a trip to the mountains or the beach there is more than enough room for four of us to ride in comfort and put all of our luggage in the bed. I'm really enjoying it and I switch out between it and the Focus, driving each a couple of days out of the week.

When I have enough paid down on the Focus, however, it's gone. I simply will not put up with this subpar transmission. Right now my plan is to trade it for the upcoming FT-86 that will fall under the Scion brand. But that's not set in stone and I might also look at a Camry or even an XD for the good mpg.

Edited by BlackHorse

2011 Tacoma Crew Cab V6 PreRunner. It didn't take me long after I bought a house to realize that I needed a truck. What I didn't need is a fullsize truck that wouldn't fit in my garage. This is why I was one of the posters that was so vocal about getting the T6 Ranger here in the US to replace the current and might I say outdated Ranger. But Ford seems satisfied to just give the segment to Toyota and Nissan. So, Toyota it is. I like the Nissan but they are just having too many transmissions give out because of the coolant leak that gets in the tranny and ruins it. Nissan refuses to admit its a systemic problem.

The Tacoma is just small enough to be easy to drive and manuver around town, in parking lots and into parkings spaces and I'm still getting about 18 mpg around town with the V6. It is an ideal size truck for a homeowner who doesn't need the overkill of an F150 or other 1500 series truck. Being that its a Crew Cab means if I want to load up some friends and take a trip to the mountains or the beach there is more than enough room for four of us to ride in comfort and put all of our luggage in the bed. I'm really enjoying it and I switch out between it and the Focus, driving each a couple of days out of the week.

When I have enough paid down on the Focus, however, it's gone. I simply will not put up with this subpar transmission. Right now my plan is to trade it for the upcoming FT-86 that will fall under the Scion brand. But that's not set in stone and I might also look at a Camry or even an XD for the good mpg.

Sounds to me like you need try another service department, make them let you drive another Focus and prove that the "problems" in your transmission are normal operation. It does suck that Ford has these transmission problems, perceived or real.

Sounds to me like you need try another service department, make them let you drive another Focus and prove that the "problems" in your transmission are normal operation. It does suck that Ford has these transmission problems, perceived or real.

Given that the next closest Ford dealer is twenty miles down the highway I'm not inclined to go through the hassle. If my local dealer wants to pretend like this is all normal and ok then that is there choice. My choice is to get rid of the car and become an advocate for not buying from Ford in this area. Especially when I'm getting two years of 100% free maintenance on my Toyota.

• Like 1

Given that the next closest Ford dealer is twenty miles down the highway I'm not inclined to go through the hassle. If my local dealer wants to pretend like this is all normal and ok then that is there choice. My choice is to get rid of the car and become an advocate for not buying from Ford in this area. Especially when I'm getting two years of 100% free maintenance on my Toyota.

I am sorry but given the fact that you are not in the least willing to go to another service center to get your issues looked at relinquishes you of nearly all your rights to complain. Lets face it, some dealerships and service centers are just simply terrible and this is true across all brands. But your unwillingness to at least drive a short 20 miles to another service center is simply mind boggling. If you put as much energy into complaining on here about how 'terrible' your Focus is and instead invested that time and energy to drive to this other service center you might be surprised what you could accomplish. Is it terrible that your Focus isn't performing perfectly, yes. Is it terrible that your local service center isn't willing to properly look into your issues, yes. Should you at least attempt to have another service center look at it, yes. Ultimately it is up to you what you wish to do but I don't think complaining will accomplish that much.

• Like 1

I am sorry but given the fact that you are not in the least willing to go to another service center to get your issues looked at relinquishes you of nearly all your rights to complain. Lets face it, some dealerships and service centers are just simply terrible and this is true across all brands. But your unwillingness to at least drive a short 20 miles to another service center is simply mind boggling. If you put as much energy into complaining on here about how 'terrible' your Focus is and instead invested that time and energy to drive to this other service center you might be surprised what you could accomplish. Is it terrible that your Focus isn't performing perfectly, yes. Is it terrible that your local service center isn't willing to properly look into your issues, yes. Should you at least attempt to have another service center look at it, yes. Ultimately it is up to you what you wish to do but I don't think complaining will accomplish that much.

You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that the problems with the dual clutch were not so widely known. Spend some time on just about any Focus forum and you're going to find numerous posts about the crappy performance of the dual clutch. Automotive magazines that have tested the car loved everything except the crappy performance of the dual clutch. I don't need to go to another service department for them to tell me the same thing that the local one did. That its a crappy transmission. Yes thank you I know that. Additionally I'm not "just" complaining about the car. If you've read my posts then you know that I took the extra step of buying something to replace it. No I'm not willing to go to another service department nor should I have to. The service department here called Ford directly about my car and Ford Motor Company told them that it was all normal and there is nothing that could be done about it. Driving twenty miles to another service deparment isn't gong to change that. And frankly if I feel like complaining about the car then I will. You can get upset about it if you want to I guess.

You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that the problems with the dual clutch were not so widely known. Spend some time on just about any Focus forum and you're going to find numerous posts about the crappy performance of the dual clutch. Automotive magazines that have tested the car loved everything except the crappy performance of the dual clutch. I don't need to go to another service department for them to tell me the same thing that the local one did. That its a crappy transmission. Yes thank you I know that. Additionally I'm not "just" complaining about the car. If you've read my posts then you know that I took the extra step of buying something to replace it. No I'm not willing to go to another service department nor should I have to. The service department here called Ford directly about my car and Ford Motor Company told them that it was all normal and there is nothing that could be done about it. Driving twenty miles to another service deparment isn't gong to change that. And frankly if I feel like complaining about the car then I will. You can get upset about it if you want to I guess.

Yes it is a widely known problem however there are plenty of people who have a Fiesta or Focus that have none of the issues you talk about so to pretend that everyone who has one is in the same boat as you is an over generalization. I have read about the "crappy" performance on many forums and as I already have pointed out there are people who have zero issues as well on those forums. I get that you are jaded by your experience, and understandably so. Yeah your car might have a crappy transmission but there are many people out there that have had great luck taking their car to another service department and actually getting results where their cars are fixed. I am sorry but I simply could not be happy with myself if I didn't try more to fix my car if there was something wrong with it, especially when another service department is only 20 miles down the road. You do have every right to complain but why don't you try to do more about it instead of giving up. Also I am far from upset, I could care less if you car doesn't work or even stranded you on the side of the road (not that I wish that upon you) but you keep complaining on hear as if one of us is going to fix it for you or that we should feel bad for you.

Yes it is a widely known problem however there are plenty of people who have a Fiesta or Focus that have none of the issues you talk about so to pretend that everyone who has one is in the same boat as you is an over generalization. I have read about the "crappy" performance on many forums and as I already have pointed out there are people who have zero issues as well on those forums. I get that you are jaded by your experience, and understandably so. Yeah your car might have a crappy transmission but there are many people out there that have had great luck taking their car to another service department and actually getting results where their cars are fixed. I am sorry but I simply could not be happy with myself if I didn't try more to fix my car if there was something wrong with it, especially when another service department is only 20 miles down the road. You do have every right to complain but why don't you try to do more about it instead of giving up. Also I am far from upset, I could care less if you car doesn't work or even stranded you on the side of the road (not that I wish that upon you) but you keep complaining on hear as if one of us is going to fix it for you or that we should feel bad for you.

1. I never said that "all" owners were experiencing the same problem. But more than a few are which makes it either a design or a production problem and not an isolated incident. Good for the people who aren't having trouble with their car.

2. I never asked anyone here to fix anything or in any way feel anything for me and where that out the blue nonsense ascertion came from I have no idea.

3. If its not that deep for you then why are we still discussing it?

Edited by BlackHorse

1. I never said that "all" owners were experiencing the same problem. But more than a few are which makes it either a design or a production problem and not an isolated incident. Good for the people who aren't having trouble with their car.

2. I never asked anyone here to fix anything or in any way feel anything for me and where that out the blue nonsense ascertion came from I have no idea.

3. If its not that deep for you then why are we still discussing it?

Well truth be told I just dislike people who complain for the sake of complaining