Fog Lamps Useless

flashfearless

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2012 Escape. But after having it a month, I have a couple of items to nit pick about. This is the fourth vehicle that I have had fog lamps on. And for the life of me, I can't even tell when they are on. They are so weak it is not funny. I am seriously thinking of doing something aftermarket so they are not just a piece of decoration. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Most "fog lamps" on vehicles today are not fog lights at all, but driving lights. They are there for decoration and little else. It's why a lot of automakers are abandoning them in favor of slicker looking (and probably cheaper) LED setups.

Real "driving lights" are actually very strong long distance lights used off road or for driving on dark roads at speed. They are more focused and penetrate further down the road than brights.

I think the term you were looking for is "running lights".

Real "driving lights" are actually very strong long distance lights used off road or for driving on dark roads at speed. They are more focused and penetrate further down the road than brights.

I think the term you were looking for is "running lights".

Nah. They're just really weak driving lights. :P Wouldn't running lights be on whenever the car is in gear? Most "fog light/driving light" setups will only operate when the headlights are also on.

Wouldn't running lights be on whenever the car is in gear? Most "fog light/driving light" setups will only operate when the headlights are also on.

I thought running lights (like those on big rigs) were only on when the lights were on, but I'm not really sure.

The point is they aren't very useful either way, but I do use mine on dark roads sometimes. They don't add a lot of light but every little bit helps.

I thought running lights (like those on big rigs) were only on when the lights were on, but I'm not really sure.

The point is they aren't very useful either way, but I do use mine on dark roads sometimes. They don't add a lot of light but every little bit helps.

Fog lamps are not designed to increase forward visibility as that's also impossible. Light simply reflects off the moisture of the fog. they are designed to light up the edge of the roadway and especially the painted fog line. Driving lights are a totally different item.

Most cars "driving/fog" lights are useless unlike my F-350's fog lights that does put out significant additional light.

I will admit that the best "bright/high beam lights" is on our '11 Fusion.

No, I am talking about the optional fog lamps on the Escape. Even when foggy, I don't think that they really add anything. The foggers on my 2010 Fusion, 2007 Mustang GT, and my 1997 Mountaineer were all much nicer. I think that I am going to try and see if I could swap 'em out with a third party item.

No, I am talking about the optional fog lamps on the Escape. Even when foggy, I don't think that they really add anything. The foggers on my 2010 Fusion, 2007 Mustang GT, and my 1997 Mountaineer were all much nicer. I think that I am going to try and see if I could swap 'em out with a third party item.

They may just need to be aimed.

If you don't like the light output of the current Escape fog lights you really won't like the light output of the new LED fog lights!

I don't think Ford is making any claims about the LED pieces being "fog lights". They certainly look nicer than some useless fog light that doesn't do much anyway except burn out.

• Like 2

I don't think Ford is making any claims about the LED pieces being "fog lights". They certainly look nicer than some useless fog light that doesn't do much anyway except burn out.

I agree that Ford doesn't really consider them to be anything more then decoration and they won't burn out, however I have experienced both and I would be confident in saying that the current Escape's fog lights have quite a bit more light output then the LEDs.

I agree that Ford doesn't really consider them to be anything more then decoration and they won't burn out, however I have experienced both and I would be confident in saying that the current Escape's fog lights have quite a bit more light output then the LEDs.

Quite a bit more doesn't make them any more useful though. They are both fundamentally for decoration only, to which I give the nod to the LED's in most of their applications thus far. Of course you're going to poo poo on them though, since you are going to poo poo on anything related to the new Escape.

Quite a bit more doesn't make them any more useful though. They are both fundamentally for decoration only, to which I give the nod to the LED's in most of their applications thus far. Of course you're going to poo poo on them though, since you are going to poo poo on anything related to the new Escape.

Well of course I am! LOL Anyhow after reading this the other night while driving I turned mine off and on and they do throw quite a bit of light and fill in the dark space from where the headlights hit the pavement to the front of the car. Maybe it is not useful, however it does light things up a bit more.

Well of course I am! LOL Anyhow after reading this the other night while driving I turned mine off and on and they do throw quite a bit of light and fill in the dark space from where the headlights hit the pavement to the front of the car. Maybe it is not useful, however it does light things up a bit more.

The ones on my Cobra are decent. I leave them on when I can. However, one issue I have with them (and all fog lights) is that one is currently burned out. I doubt I'll have to replace a single LED as long as I own my Edge.

The ones on my Cobra are decent. I leave them on when I can. However, one issue I have with them (and all fog lights) is that one is currently burned out. I doubt I'll have to replace a single LED as long as I own my Edge.

I have integrated fog lights on my Porsche Boxster and they work pretty well. They are not located down below, but right next to headlight. This summer I drove it down to Oxford, OH which is 250 mile trip one way and the fog was horrible that morning on I-75, and the fog lights were a great help. I've always thought that fog lights should be standard on all vehicles as they can be great safety device. I think locating fog lights so low in front fascia can lead to a lot of stones hitting lights and putting them out of action. You wouldn't think fog lights located next to headlight would work very well, but they do work well on Boxster that has rear fog lights also. Maybe it's because the vehicle sits so low already. But when you flip fog lights on it sure does help.

• 5 weeks later...

I changed my fog light bulbs (and headlights) to those Sylvannia xtravision bulbs or whatever they are called when I first bought my Mariner. The difference is so insane that the first thing I did when I bought my 11 Escape was go and grab them for that as well. The light is so bright and more "white" than that weak yellowish look they have from the factory bulbs. I highly suggest you go and grab a set. They cost like $25 I think and well worth it. If you want to talk about a vehicle that has true fog lights, go turn on the fog lights of any 2008-2010 Mercedes C-Class, they are truly brighter than even the head lights. Two of my neighbors have them and those little suckers are insane!!!!!!