Ford and Blue Bird School Bus

I heard a rumor that Ford is looking to buy Blue Bird off of Cerberus. All I can find is Blue Bird is planning on using a Roush prepped LNG V-10 engine in some busses. I would have to say the rumor sounds like a long shot, as Cerberus ownes Blue Bird and NABI, and I would think they would want to sell them together. IF they are in fact for sale. Can't imagine Ford is stupid enough to get involved in public transportation..........

I heard a rumor that Ford is looking to buy Blue Bird off of Cerberus. All I can find is Blue Bird is planning on using a Roush prepped LNG V-10 engine in some busses. I would have to say the rumor sounds like a long shot, as Cerberus ownes Blue Bird and NABI, and I would think they would want to sell them together. IF they are in fact for sale. Can't imagine Ford is stupid enough to get involved in public transportation..........

Not that I believe this at all...but Bill Ford did talk around a year ago how Ford was going to cope with traffic and the world car population leveling off over time. I guess buses would have to be included in that somehow.

Pretty much all of those are tied up with other automakers already.

NEOPLAN for instance is owned by MAN, which is owned by VW Group.

Actually I was thinking of New Flyer in Canada. They're owned by an America PE firm already, they make pretty great buses, and have an American market presence.

If buying Blue Bird included all of NABI, that would be interesting.

Check out the BlueBird web site. Not too much detail but enough to make it interesting. Look at the instrument panels. Frames-huck bolt fasteners! When people say ..."Ford can't justify the kind of expenditure on class 6/7 for such small volume"....I say look at this-how many buses do you suppose BlueBird builds a year???

Check out the BlueBird web site. Not too much detail but enough to make it interesting. Look at the instrument panels. Frames-huck bolt fasteners! When people say ..."Ford can't justify the kind of expenditure on class 6/7 for such small volume"....I say look at this-how many buses do you suppose BlueBird builds a year???

The real question is how profitable has Blue Bird been. After it was sold by the Luce family (who started the firm) it has been owned by a couple of organizations (including Henley's and Volvo Truck), spun off, and went bankrupt before Cerberus got ahold of it. Blue Bird is up against a couple of monsters in International and Thomas (Freightliner). Both can leverage school bus chassis development and manufacturing with medium duty truck.

No idea what Blue Bird makes or looses since they are a privately held firm, but Cerberus isn't known for buying winners, are they?

The real question is how profitable has Blue Bird been. After it was sold by the Luce family (who started the firm) it has been owned by a couple of organizations (including Henley's and Volvo Truck), spun off, and went bankrupt before Cerberus got ahold of it. Blue Bird is up against a couple of monsters in International and Thomas (Freightliner). Both can leverage school bus chassis development and manufacturing with medium duty truck.

No idea what Blue Bird makes or looses since they are a privately held firm, but Cerberus isn't known for buying winners, are they?

I think Cerberus buys what they think is basically sound and has potential. I was not aware of BlueBird's history, but at least looking at the website, it appears to be a company of substance.

By no means am I a BlueBird "cheerleader".