Mustang Driveshaft fails at 135mph

Interesting, Ford Racing Parts has several performance enhancing packages engineered by Ford for the '11-'12 Mustang and none of them include a new driveshaft. There is even an emission legal 624 HP supercharger kit for the GT...still does not come with a driveshaft. Why does Ford engineer and market such irresponsible parts? Dont know but sure glad they do!

I bet they don't eliminate the 112 mph speed limiter either.

Interesting, Ford Racing Parts has several performance enhancing packages engineered by Ford for the '11-'12 Mustang and none of them include a new driveshaft. There is even an emission legal 624 HP supercharger kit for the GT...still does not come with a driveshaft. Why does Ford engineer and market such irresponsible parts? Dont know but sure glad they do!

The V6 and GT do not use the same driveshaft.

Not only that but I don't think Ford makes a supercharger kit for the V6 model and if they did I just don't see them doing it and not replacing the stock drive shaft. Ford surely isn't my favorite company after the whole Focus debacle but I'm not so naive as to think they are stupid either.

Ok y'all missed the point. I'll try again.

Even a stock GT drivetrain is going to be at the limit handling an extra 70+ lbft of torque slamming through especially if racing tires are used. Like droping the clutch at high RPM with drag slicks at a track.

The point is spelled out in a statement from Ford Racing Parts:

"The use of Ford Racing parts and components may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. ... Consumers are solely and completely responsible for evaluating their vehicle to ensure that the vehicle, and each part of that vehicle is appropriate for this Ford Racing engine, part or component."

Means if you wanna play you better do your research and know what you are doing.

I'm just glad Ford doesnt take the easy way out and pull the Racing Parts program like they did in 1971. It could have happened in the dark days of the Way Forward restructure. If you wanted to build a performance Ford in the '70s you were on your own and the aftermarket was mostly Chevy focused. FRP has a very impressive catalog of quality parts and engines today from the humble restart in '82 (Ford Motorsport)

whilst I can agree with you on several notes, I can honestly disagree on others, I mod about every vehicle I own, and its for none of the reasons listed above. Cars that are stock are compromises, whether it be ride/ drive/ NVH, fuel economy etc etc....and my tweeks are aimed at areas I prefer to be less compromised, ie throttle response, firmer ride with consequent handling improvements and yes, more hp....but I do it in moderation fully knowing if i go overboard I will need to shell out additional $ to prevent catastrophic failure. That said, top speed ISNT a priority....and I think Ive grown out of showing off, but it is kinda nice knowing on the bike if I want a thrill all I need is to twist the throttle. ( Bike = de-ristricted airbox, Akropovic pipe with Akro re-mapped ECU, K @ N Filter, gearing changed and a tad more, Fiesta, Steeda cold Air, Doug thorley cat back, short shifter, and Ford Racing Suspension )

+1. You sound like the kind of salesman that I would actually like to buy my next car or truck from. :shades:

I absolutely hate boring vehicles which is why I own Fords and not Toyotas. And if I could not modify my Fords to suit my tastes and needs then I would probably buy something else. Some people modify their vehicles for other reasons besides "showing off". How about replacing the OEM tires on a 4x4 for better off-road performance? Or how about adding an aftermarket exhaust to increase power and fuel mileage for towing? Same thing for a larger throttle body? Or how about different computer programming parameters that improve on the factory settings and allow for better throttle response which can actually make a vehicle safer? I have done all of those things to my Sport Trac which makes it not only more enjoyable to drive but also increases its functionality and capability.

Idiots are guys who put peformance mods on their car and have no intention of taking it to a race track ever. There's only one reason they do that and that is because they are going to get out there and show off in traffic. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who buy performance mods are never going to take their car to a track. They do it to race people and show off out there on city streets and highways across the country. As evidence of that you could have watched the video that started this thread. Not a race track sight. But he's still doing 130 mph. Like an idiot. I couldn't care less what the "car clubs" are doing. I was in a Mustng Club once myself and the reason I quit was because every idiot in that club did nothing but spend every last dollar they could on putting performance mods on their Mustang. Almost none of them went to the track. At the end of every club meeting the cool thing to do was slam the gas when they left the parking lot. Guess what that's called. Showing off, and its dangerous. I have never actually seen a car club that stands around and preaches safety awareness. It might be in their mission statement on their website or somethiing I guess where nobody is going to see it. Not that it matters because the vast majority of idiots that do this stuff aren't even a member of a car club. I know it happens and you know it happens so quit getting all worked up about it just because you probably have some performance mods on your own car.

And you can't "show off" in a stock 1969 BOSS 429 or a stock 2012 Mustang GT?

Not that it matters because the vast majority of idiots that do this stuff aren't even a member of a car club.

Huh? You just ragged on Mustang Car Clubs, then you backtrack from your entire point.

I know it happens and you know it happens so quit getting all worked up about it just because you probably have some performance mods on your own car.

Another interesting piece of logic! So why are you getting all worked up?

"Showing Off" isn't necessarily dangerous. You've never done a burn-out? (at what, 2 MPH?) Never blipped the throttle to see how new mufflers sounds? People make mods on their cars for many reasons: to make it personal, to sound better, brake better, accelerate better, look better, and feel better. It's been happening since the first Model T rolled off the assembly line.

Does that mean performance modded cars have to be raced on a track? Of course NOT. Not if they aren't racing. If you're drag racing on the street or doing 130 MPH on a public road.........you're a moron, even in an unmodified car.

If I want to put a Borla exhaust on my Miata to gain 5 HP, does that make me a moron? It may not be the best bang for the buck performance improvement, but it could be worth the money if I cared enough about the sound. I find if annoying (and UN-American) to call someone a moron for modding, that's their personal decisions. You could put $10K in PERFORMANCE MODS on a 61 Falcon and it still wouldn't best a new Mustang GT.

Edited by timmm55

LMAO, Really? We are going to dredge up this conversation from nine days ago? You guys just gotta get over it. You like performance mods on street cars and I think they're stupid. So what. Who cares. Lets move on.

You moved on from performance........you bought a Corolla!

Isn't that what fart cans are make for?

You moved on from performance........you bought a Corolla!

Isn't that what fart cans are make for?

Uh, yeah, lets try some proof reading next time timm.

Anyway it's true the Corolla is by no means a "performance car" and never, ever, .... ever will you catch my car with one of those annoying fart cans on it. Some of us just understand that the municipal streets and highways are not your personal race track. I'm just not going to apologize for growing up. lol

That's true up to the 2010 Mustangs. From 2011 and up, the V6 uses the same components as the V8, two piece driveshaft, dual exhaust and same differential. I remember at the 2011 LA Auto Show, they had a V6 Mustang on it's side just to show off the point.

Uh, yeah, lets try some proof reading next time timm.

Anyway it's true the Corolla is by no means a "performance car" and never, ever, .... ever will you catch my car with one of those annoying fart cans on it. Some of us just understand that the municipal streets and highways are not your personal race track. I'm just not going to apologize for growing up. lol

That's your problem. Try spell checking yourself. "Mustng Club" really? Can't read? I said modding doesn't equal racing.(Something you fail to understand) Nor do I approve of racing on the street or doing 130 MPH on public roads.

That's your problem. Try spell checking yourself. "Mustng Club" really? Can't read? I said modding doesn't equal racing.(Something you fail to understand) Nor do I approve of racing on the street or doing 130 MPH on public roads.

LMAO, Oh yes I'm sure that all these clowns that are attaching superchargers, turbo chargers and all manner of go fast parts to their street cars are doing it just because the like the way it looks. I would tell you to get a clue but I already know that you are just being willfully ignorant. You know and I know what everyone who has ever spent more than twenty minutes in traffic already knows. These guys are putting go fast mods on their car and they are practicing with them out there in traffic where they put innocent lives at risk. I couldn't care less about the small percentage of guys that add mods and don't drive like a fool. I care about the vast majority that add mods and do drive like a fool.

That's the way it is. That's reality. I'm through discussing it with you. If you want to feign ingorance about it that's your problem.

Edited by BlackHorse

LMAO, Oh yes I'm sure that all these clowns that are attaching superchargers, turbo chargers and all manner of go fast parts to their street cars are doing it just because the like the way it looks.

You mean like the supercharger Ford offers right from the factory on the 550 HP Mustang GT500.

Or the twin turbochargers Ford uses to belt out 420lbft from the F150's Ecoboost.

You must also think Ford is irresponsible for offering the TracKey for the 444 HP Boss 302.

As a matter of fact who needs more than the standard GT's 412 horsepower.

I guess you think the V6 Mustang's 305 HP is really far more than anyone needs to drive safely at posted legal limits like a good citizen.

And that's ok, keep your Corolla transportation appliance safely in the right lane...Just remember " "NHTSA data indicates that in recent years there have been about 56,000 crashes annually in which driver drowsiness/fatigue was cited by police." So driving a boring car can be dangerous. :stirpot:

Edited by F250

That's true up to the 2010 Mustangs. From 2011 and up, the V6 uses the same components as the V8, two piece driveshaft, dual exhaust and same differential. I remember at the 2011 LA Auto Show, they had a V6 Mustang on it's side just to show off the point.

Wrong.

2011 V8 driveshaft:

RenderIllustration-1.jpg

2011 V6 driveshaft:

RenderIllustration.jpg

The V6 is a two piece slip tube. The V8 is two separate steel shafts with a yoke in the middle.

EDIT: Look it up on www.fordparts.com for yourself.

Edited by Pioneer

Coincidentally, this month's issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords (Feb 2012) has a tech article on driveshafts: The Straight Skinny, What a good driveshaft should be. The editor, Steve Baur, even dedicated his column to upgrading safety equipment along with performance upgrades, and calls out the driveshaft specifically. I don't know if this had anything to do with our You-Tube all star, but its likely. There is also a killer '66 coupe in the feature cars.

And that's ok, keep your Corolla transportation appliance safely in the right lane...Just remember " "NHTSA data indicates that in recent years there have been about 56,000 crashes annually in which driver drowsiness/fatigue was cited by police." So driving a boring car can be dangerous. :stirpot:

Oh man, you don't even know the half of it F250. lol When I'm out there puttin around like an old grandma in my Corolla at about 40 mph and the car is not shaking and shuddering like the Focus did and it doesn't rattle whenever the gears change like the Focus did, well, I just get a big old smile on my face knowing that I'll never have to drive that cheap POS Focus again. :D :D lmao You just can't even imagine the warm and happy feeling it gives me to not have that piece of junk in my garage anymore. In its place is a well engineered and well built Toyota that runs smooth as fine silk and it just makes me happy to drive again. You can't put a price on that kind of satisfaction. lol

You know what puts en even bigger smile on my face though. About once a week I visit focus fanatics to just see all the posts of 2012 owners who are having problem after problem with their Focus. The other night there was a guy on their with 27 separate issues. Twenty-seven! Wow! The car had 2200 miles on it. LOL Oh no my friend, you can't put a price on that kind of satisfaction. lol

Edited by BlackHorse

I already know that you are just being willfully ignorant.

You calling me ignorant is a compliment. Thank YOU! Happy New Year!

You know and I know what everyone (? really) who has ever spent more than twenty minutes in traffic already knows. These guys are putting go fast mods on their car and they are practicing with them out there in traffic where they put innocent lives at risk. I couldn't care less about the small percentage of guys that add mods and don't drive like a fool. I care about the vast majority that add mods and do drive like a fool.

You don't know SH^T, you assume.

Don't include me with "you know and I know" because I DON'T agree with your half-arsed assumptions.

There are laws for idiot drivers, regardless of their so called mods.

What you are doing is "profiling" in the worst sense. Where does it stop? A Supercharger? Headers? A muffler? "Performance" Spark plugs? A decal? Do you see hoodlums and gangsters everywhere around you? LOL Maybe you could round them all up for our safety.

Are you totally against performance cars since you bought a Corolla? I doubt your Focus could have "learned" your paranoid "Aunt Rhody" driving habits....I G N O R AUNT is you fault code.

That's the way it is. That's reality. I'm through discussing it with you. If you want to feign ingorance about it that's your problem.

ingorance
Indeed! LOL

I can feign ignorance, yours is inescapable.

When I'm out there puttin around like an old grandma in my Corolla at about 40 mph ..........well, I just get a big old smile on my face........ You can't put a price on that kind of satisfaction.

Take out the Trollish comments and this is what is left! LOL :titanic:

A smirking, smug Grandma doing 40 on the interstate in her Corolla. What a picture that paints!

Here's a "performance decal" for ya!

0adfc72b.jpg

:boring: :boring: :boring:

:unsure: What? Did someone say something? It sounded like sheep. Hello?

:boring: :boring: :boring:

Toyota....oh what a feeling! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

If you're BORING, TOYOTA has a car for you, BlackHorse! Sheep? And you you bought a Corolla!!!!!

:ohsnap: