Mustang Driveshaft fails at 135mph

I'm surprised the few RWD haters haven't used this as a reason to outlaw RWD...

Well at least if you have a drive shaft failure on a FWD car I doubt it is going to penetrate the floor pan of the car. Anyhow this person is an idiot. Doing what he did would be like hooking a 5,000 lb. trailer to an Escape then blaming Ford when the transmission fails even though the vehicle is only rated to tow 3,500 lbs.

I'm with 92merc.. I'm more interested in the fact that the six can do 135, not some idiot taking his vehicle beyond the mechanical limit(I'm looking at your Raptor-bent-frame-guys)

The 3.7 pulls hard in the Mustang. I'm not the slightest bit surprised it will do 135. It was still accelerating when the driveshaft went south.

The 3.7 pulls hard in the Mustang. I'm not the slightest bit surprised it will do 135. It was still accelerating when the driveshaft went south.

Oh I never doubted the 'Stang could reach those speeds with 305hp, just 10 shy of the 315hp V8 which was governed to ~150.

If Ford is ever in need of a good marketing campaign they could use all the oafs who took their cars beyond the limit as muse.

"Ford: May inspire stupidity" would make a great tagline in my opinion. ^_^

Where? Are you pulling this out your ass?

Start here.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/295917-2011-mustang-v6-drive-shaft-broken.html

There are plenty more if you search. People are scared to death that mod their cars. Its a wake up call for sure. Interesting that Tom said he had Z rated tires so the limiter is for the driveshaft after all.

Have not heard of problems with the Gt 2 piece.

Lesson learned here, anything above 120 on a speedometer is just decoration, don't use it! ;)

I did three parade laps at MIchigan International Speedway with the PCA club this summer, and hit about 140mph on the last lap in my Boxster and it really didn't feel like it. Some of the 911's on track with me were hitting about 160mph. After we parked our vehicles in pit area, MIS was giving rides in Mustang 5.0 and Dodge Challenger for $10/person. I talked with one of the Mustang drivers and he said he was hitting 145mph in the three laps they did with paying customers. They had to sign waivers like we did in case we killed ourselves. My Boxster is on Bridgestone Pontenzas high performance summer tires and they hopefully are safe up to Boxster's 160mph capability. Noting weird at 140mph anyway. The Mustang and Challeger looked good and sounded great at almost 150mph. They told us the PCA club to limite speeds to 70mph, but that lasted only one lap before all hell broke loose and it is scary checking up for pits at 140mph, but Porsche brakes work well and I lived another day. Believe it or not, parade laps at various race courses around country are pretty normal and good way to legally explore the performance of your sporty car. My goal next year is Mid-Ohio and Road America.

Start here.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/295917-2011-mustang-v6-drive-shaft-broken.html

There are plenty more if you search. People are scared to death that mod their cars. Its a wake up call for sure. Interesting that Tom said he had Z rated tires so the limiter is for the driveshaft after all.

Have not heard of problems with the Gt 2 piece.

I did a search of the NHTSA ODI database and there was nothing about the V6 Mustang at all much less something that would be a potential safety issue. I also haven't heard anything about it on The Mustang Source forums.

• Like 1

Apparently the cretin who uploaded the video made a feeble attempt to get the internets to forget - he removed it from YouTube! :hysterical:

It got reposted... and thanks to DownloadHelper, it is now on my hard drive as well. :lol:

A cardinal rule to remember: Once it's posted on the internet, it's no longer under your control and it never goes away.

I did a search of the NHTSA ODI database and there was nothing about the V6 Mustang at all much less something that would be a potential safety issue. I also haven't heard anything about it on The Mustang Source forums.

Its not wide spread at all Tom. I remembered it because I thought it was about of an odd part to fail as you would ever think about. Keep your speed to reasonable levels just to be safe. If your going to mod it and hammer on it get an aftermarket drive shaft. Ford cut this right to the edge it seems.

Those 3.7 cars do run dang good for what they are and deserve better parts than this imo. In fairness that car on that video was tuned I think.

• Like 2

Its not wide spread at all Tom. I remembered it because I thought it was about of an odd part to fail as you would ever think about. Keep your speed to reasonable levels just to be safe. If your going to mod it and hammer on it get an aftermarket drive shaft. Ford cut this right to the edge it seems.

Those 3.7 cars do run dang good for what they are and deserve better parts than this imo. In fairness that car on that video was tuned I think.

Good. I was worried even though I don't plan on modding mine (except for maybe K&N panel filter).

I've been very pleased with mine. My two previous Mustangs were 5.0s so I was bit worried about a V6 but the 3.7 is a gem and a performance bargain.

Ford cut this right to the edge it seems.

Those 3.7 cars do run dang good for what they are and deserve better parts than this imo

I'm sorry, but you have no right to expect your car to perform without breakage 23mph above its factory set speed limit. Ford did not cut this 'to the edge', if you are going to void your warranty, do NOT expect your car to withstand the abuse.

• Like 2

I've been very pleased with mine. My two previous Mustangs were 5.0s so I was bit worried about a V6 but the 3.7 is a gem and a performance bargain.

Yeah the V6 is great so long as you don't want to go faster than 112 mph which by the way is a slower top speed than my Corolla at 115. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I had to Richard. Couldn't resist.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I've drove and seen older Fords faster then 135 and not had one problem, a driveshaft on a performance car shouldn't fail especially with a simple mod of removing a limiter. Say what you want but a base Mustang is not a basic transportation anymore and its enginering shouldn't reflect it, not to mention the Chevy and import boys are laughing it up now.

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 2

Well at least if you have a drive shaft failure on a FWD car I doubt it is going to penetrate the floor pan of the car. Anyhow this person is an idiot. Doing what he did would be like hooking a 5,000 lb. trailer to an Escape then blaming Ford when the transmission fails even though the vehicle is only rated to tow 3,500 lbs.

Front wheel drive shaft failure can take out your steering at 135 MPH ! Yea, that's better.

Want to turn off the speed limiter and go play race driver? Ford Racing Parts offers drive shaft safety loops which are mandatory at some tracks. plus you can get a race ready shaft assy for a few hundred bucks.

FMS-M-5478-S197B.jpg

• Like 3

I'm sorry but I've drove and seen older Fords faster then 135 and not had one problem, a driveshaft on a performance car shouldn't fail especially with a simple mod of removing a limiter. Say what you want but a base Mustang is not a basic transportation anymore and its enginering shouldn't reflect it, not to mention the Chevy and import boys are laughing it up now.

I don't recall the older Fords getting 31mpg on the highway, either.

The Chevy boys don't get 31mpg either. The imports may get the mileage, but they are far from 305hp. There are tradeoffs for everything. Purposely removing a safety device (speed limiter), then pushing your stock vehicle to speeds it was not designed for (135), then not slowing down or stopping when the first vibration happened.......................... IS NOT Fords fault. It doesn't matter what Ford would design something for, some idiot would exceed it, and then it would still be fodder for internet fanbois.

Guess you never heard of cost vs benefit...why would Ford spend more money on a item that broke doing 27% more then it was spec out to do?

Yeah the V6 is great so long as you don't want to go faster than 112 mph which by the way is a slower top speed than my Corolla at 115. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I had to Richard. Couldn't resist.

Oh yeah? I bet I can hit my speed limiter MUCH faster than you and I won't have to push the car very hard! :hysterical:

• Like 2