Mustang Driveshaft fails at 135mph

Probably good advice. The factory limiter is set at 112 I believe. However, there has been quite a few driveshafts fail on these cars that were not exceeding that.

Pretty much all of the Mustang driveshaft failures I've heard about were modified GT's with the 2-piece one.

Probably good advice. The factory limiter is set at 112 I believe. However, there has been quite a few driveshafts fail on these cars that were not exceeding that.

Typically, the factory speed limiter is based on the speed rating of the vehicle's tires. Are the Mustang driveshafts now "Made as China" like the 6-speeds?

Edited by GTwannabe
  • Like 2

My 1992 Grand Marquis had no speed limiter back then. Only a rev limiter. To my knowledge, I never hit the limiter. But I did do one mile on the Interstate in 26 seconds. :-)

In retrospect, real stupid. Tires were only rated for 85 or so. I was lucky I didn't end up like the numb nutz in the video, or worse. Limiters are there for a reason people!

The factory limiter is set at 112 I believe.

I think that the driveshaft is probably supposed to hold up at 20% over its top speed....

Thoughts?

112 + (20%*112) = 134.4

Looks like the driveshaft held up as expected. As for the driver, what was he thinking?! :banghead:

• Like 1

Wow, that's pretty scary if the driveshaft penetrated the cabin. I'd like to know more about that damage from a safety perspective. I just assumed that all RWD cars now had good shielding to prevent failures from endangering occupants.

Edited by BORG

This reminds of the brand new Super Duty owner who couldn't understand why it kept going into de-rate on the interstate. Vehicle only had overspeed codes. :banghead:

The Explorer Sport Trac Adrenaline owner who had steering wheel nibble at speeds above 85 mph. She wanted Ford to buy it back. :banghead:

Typically, the factory speed limiter is based on the speed rating of the vehicle's tires. Are the Mustang driveshafts now "Made as China" like the 6-speeds?

All of Ford's RWD shafts, including the new carbon fiber one for the Shelby, are produced by a company called NEAPCO. They have a production plant a few miles away from Michigan Assembly.

Ironically, their biggest shareholder is from China.

http://www.neapco.com/nO-oem.php

I'm surprised the few RWD haters haven't used this as a reason to outlaw RWD...

What's even more amazing is how that 'pokey' little V6 Mustang is pulling between 130 and when it self destructs. I wonder what a 2011 V6 without a speed limiter and a proper driveshaft could do. 160?

• Like 1

My '11 V6 Mustang has OEM z-rated Pirelli's on it and still has the speed limiter.

Which allow it to handle very well I assume. I think the speed rating directly correlates to 1. the speed it can handle (duh) and handling (assumed). I mean...you don't have z-rated light truck tires...

I think the speed limiter is specifically because of the drive shaft. At high speeds, the drive shaft can act like a wet piece of spaghetti.

I thought I read somewhere that the police Crown Victoria had a longer transmission housing and a lighter drive shaft when compared to the other versions of the car because of that very reason.

• Like 1

V6 will do 135mph? Sweet!

I'm with 92merc.. I'm more interested in the fact that the six can do 135, not some idiot taking his vehicle beyond the mechanical limit(I'm looking at your Raptor-bent-frame-guys)

Ford is putting a one-piece CF drive shaft on the 2013 GT500. If you're going to mod your car, a 1-piece driveshaft is probably a good place to start.

Edited by GT-Keith

Pardon my ignorance, but de-rate, overspeed codes? :)

Sorry about that. I say de-rate to indicate the computer was limiting engine power. Overspeed would mean the customer went over the speed limiter. Yes, the technician can tell if you took the vehicle to the speed limiter if you haven't cleared the diagnostic trouble codes before your visit to the repair shop.

From the book:

P0297: Vehicle Overspeed Condition

Description: This DTC is set when the vehicle speed limiting conditions have been encountered which is

153 km/h (95 MPH) for F250/F350 vehicles and 130 km/h (81 MPH) for F450/F550 vehicles.

The powertrain control module (PCM) limits vehicle speed by limiting fuel when these

conditions are met. Fuel is limited only to prevent the vehicle from being operated above the

respective speeds and once the vehicle is operated below these speeds there is no limiting.

Possible Causes: • Vehicle driven at a high rate of speed

Diagnostic Aids: Indicates the vehicle has been operated above the calibrated limited vehicle speed.