Lincoln MKZ Prototype Spied with Massive, Retractable Roof

Our elite squad of spy photographers have managed to take a few quick photos of the 2013 Lincoln MKZ, and from the looks of things, the luxury sedan may have one very special trick up its sleeve when it hits the market: a large, retractable glass roof. Taking a close look at the vehicle's rear glass, we can clearly see a very squared-off window with visible tracks down both sides. That may indicate a mechanism capable of retracting and supporting the roof section as it moves back.

If that turns out to be the case, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ will boast a roof similar to what's found on the Porsche 911 Targa. Unfortunately, the spy shots don't show the roof in the retracted position, which means we'll have to use our imagination until the vehicle gets closer to an official unveil at the 2012 New York Auto Show.

LINK - Autoblog

It's nice to see how this system will work... Take a BAMR (a la MKX Vista Roof) and make the whole thing slide back over the rear glass. No folding or otherwise complicated actions required.

post-27660-0-01627300-1326408310_thumb.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Okay, I think this is my next car! One of the main reasons I own the MKX and Edge is because of the Vista roof that no other Ford has. This also bodes well for the next Edge/MKS to carry the same open-air roof structure that is absent on the D3.

Notice this prototype is still rocking the waterfall grille a'la MKS style. And paddle shifters hmm?

Edited by BORG

Okay, I think this is my next car! One of the main reasons I own the MKX and Edge is because of the Vista roof that no other Ford has. This also bodes well for the next Edge/MKS to carry the same open-air roof structure that is absent on the D3.

Notice this prototype is still rocking the waterfall grille a'la MKS style. And paddle shifters hmm?

I see its also missing the prototype's dual opening exhaust tips too. I was really hoping those might make it to production as they were so unique.

I'm with you Borg, this is looking like it may be my replacment for my LS. I admit I love the styling of the concept MKZ and I'm really hoping there aren't too many deviations with the production version.

Does anyone expect the glass roof to have the glass that can convert to opaque on command? Or will this be 'see through' 100% of the time?

If not, I would expect at least a power shade of some sort. But the electroglass would be incredible in this application... Can't imagine how expensive the damn thing would be to replace though. Watch out for hailstorms! :hysterical:

I know its optional but these over-sized glass roofs seem like a novelty. Come to think of it, Lincoln is kind of a novelty luxury brand as it has some technologies that others in its class doesn't.

I just wish Lincoln would take the competition head on instead of just being a novelty, albeit a nice one. The naming convention needs to be altered as well... Perhaps introduce #s. Instead of MKZ, it would be changed to MKZ35, MKZ27, etc

Did anyone else notice the fender mounted antenna...

Woah, didn't notice that. I'm sure that's a compromise made due to the moving glass panels. Does anybody think the glass roof actually stores in the trunk? I can't imagine it just slips over the rear window to obscure the aft view, especially since those panels are heavily tinted. Maybe the rear window also pulls down? this also explains why the CHSML is located on the trunk lid instead of on the top of the rear window.

Edited by BORG

What's easier? To bust through a wall or climb through a window?

I mean sure, Lincoln has it's own approach to Luxury. God forbid Lincoln becomes like Cadillac(*shudders*) which is just a poor[older] man's BMW so I guess there is a silver lining to Lincoln's approach.

The MKZ is competitive as it is and can only improve with this new iteration, but I would like to see Ford throw down the gauntlet and make a highly profitable, low volume 5, 6, & 7 series competitor while still retaining its..."discreteness." But of course, if we listed things we'd like to see...:shrug:

Do you not see the dichotomy in this statement?

I don't feel anything is wrong with that statement. The 5-7 series are low volume relative to the 3 series, BMW's bread and butter. The MKZ has definitely assumed the role as Lincoln's bread a butter considering its sales.

Whether or not this is feasible for Lincoln is a topic I have not enough knowledge to discuss. I think it is inevitable that any discussion regarding Lincoln will be skewed by what we already see on the market as is largely a fantasy, however sordid it may be.

Oh yeah, that slides off the tongue so much better. :unsure:

I think introducing numbers presents a great opportunity for Lincoln to canonize itself like any car that has won our hearts. Boss 302, Z06, Z28, 335, etc. Notice how they all have #s and all have storied histories? When you think of these numbers you associate them with an experience! I can't remember the term in psychology... but it is a valuable phenomenon.

MKZ37 or Z37, tell me that doesn't sound nice!

Edited by GT-Keith

I don't feel anything is wrong with that statement. The 5-7 series are low volume relative to the 3 series, BMW's bread and butter. The MKZ has definitely assumed the role as Lincoln's bread a butter considering its sales.

Whether or not this is feasible for Lincoln is a topic I have not enough knowledge to discuss. I think it is inevitable that any discussion regarding Lincoln will be skewed by what we already see on the market as is largely a fantasy, however sordid it may be.

I think introducing numbers presents a great opportunity for Lincoln to canonize itself like any car that has won our hearts. Boss 302, Z06, Z28, 335, etc. Notice how they all have #s and all have storied histories? When you think of these numbers you associate them with an experience! I can't remember the term in psychology... but it is a valuable phenomenon.

Just giving it a number doesn't give it a storied history.

500...what was that? 300? 200?

Mustang has much more history and relevance than Boss 302, or GT 500, or GT 350. Without Mustang (the car itself, not the name), those other 3 would have been nothing.

The 5 and 7 series are low volume compared to the 3 series, but are still ridiculously high volume compared to anything similar Lincoln would be able to inject into the segment. The only way Lincoln can market anything in that segment is by having higher volume platform mates to do it upon. BMW doesn't have this issue as the 5 and 7 series are already established vehicles that are marketed globally.

That doesn't sound nice at all. And Z37 is likely already owned by GM.

Just giving it a number doesn't give it a storied history.

500...what was that? 300? 200?

Mustang has much more history and relevance than Boss 302, or GT 500, or GT 350. Without Mustang (the car itself, not the name), those other 3 would have been nothing.

That's not what I said. No one says "Mustang GT500" they simply say GT500; No one says Mustang Boss 302, they simply say Boss 302. Even the vanilla Mustangs are remembered based on which engine block they came equipped with and not just by "Mustang." The numbers matter in people's mind because they correlate to an experience.

The 5 and 7 series are low volume compared to the 3 series, but are still ridiculously high volume compared to anything similar Lincoln would be able to inject into the segment. The only way Lincoln can market anything in that segment is by having higher volume platform mates to do it upon. BMW doesn't have this issue as the 5 and 7 series are already established vehicles that are marketed globally.

How do you know this?

&

How much higher?

The entry-level luxury is more competitive than the 5- to 7-series segments are yet the MKZ sits right in the middle in terms of sales. If a higher volume platform-mate is the only requisite then isn't it already satisfied in the Taurus? The fact that the '13 Fusion is similar in size to the '13 Taurus is great incentive to move that platform up in size and segment.

That doesn't sound nice at all. And Z37 is likely already owned by GM.

And I suppose having every car in your stable start with the letter F is a genius idea?(Poking fun at the Ford naming convention as a whole) Having numbers in your name at least signifies what power train is underneath like my previous examples, instead of having those boring letter monikers... MKZ37, sounds better than MKZ or Zephyr, in my opinion.

I wasn't saying "Z37" had to be an actual nomenclature, but simply a point of reference; MKZ37 is to Z37 as Chevrolet is to Chevy.

Edited by GT-Keith