Plant that built 351 Cleveland builds last engine today

That sucks! I have a 1970 4 bolt main with a large roller in it, Aussie heads, and 770 Holley...Just sitting on a stand waiting to drop in something! No smallblock

Chebby could ever run with a well sorted 351C!! Remember awesome Bill from Dawsonville? Took an 84 T-Bird an about lapped the competition at MIR..That was the

end of canted valve heads! Lol.

http://www.cleveland...and_engine.html

Engine plant No. 2 closing down. Over the years it turned out everything from the 223 six, 292 Y block, Suprt Duty Series, 351C, 351M/400, 302, to the 2.5 & 3.0 V6s.

Sad to hear, hopefully it reopens in the future

For anyone who cares, the 351 Cleveland tooling was transferred to Geelong, Australia where the 351C and short stroke 302 C lived happily on until 1984.

Edited by jpd80

This really sucks, what a name this plant has made for itself building engines that are tough as nails.

Right, that was where the Super Duty 401, 475, 477, and 534 came from.

Interesting engines. Never knew of the 475, only the other three. A few years ago, I drove a late 60s C800 with a water tank and a 477 (I was told). It seemed to maintain the same level of gutlessness no matter how much or how little it was loaded down. I couldn't believe how fast that sucker burned through gas too. Despite its shortcomings, it ran perfect, worked hard, never gave me a lick of trouble and always did what I asked it to do.

• Like 1

This really sucks, what a name this plant has made for itself building engines that are tough as nails.

Interesting engines. Never knew of the 475, only the other three. A few years ago, I drove a late 60s C800 with a water tank and a 477 (I was told). It seemed to maintain the same level of gutlessness no matter how much or how little it was loaded down. I couldn't believe how fast that sucker burned through gas too. Despite its shortcomings, it ran perfect, worked hard, never gave me a lick of trouble and always did what I asked it to do.

The '475' was a special version of the 477 for F-series medium duty trucks from about 1974 to 1979. I think it actually displaced 477 cubic inches. Not sure exactly what the differences were.

If it was a 477, it would have been a C-850

The '475' was a special version of the 477 for F-series medium duty trucks from about 1974 to 1979. I think it actually displaced 477 cubic inches. Not sure exactly what the differences were.

They were intended to counter the 427 in the C-65 Chevies and were offered in 800 series but were referred to as "880's"when equipped with that motor. I never truly knew what they were, but this post encouraged me to do a little digging. I was all set to head for my "archives" then got lazy and did a google search. Guess what-correct on the 477 displacement but they had different heads and also did not carry the Super Duty 100,000 mile warranty.

They were intended to counter the 427 in the C-65 Chevies and were offered in 800 series but were referred to as "880's"when equipped with that motor. I never truly knew what they were, but this post encouraged me to do a little digging. I was all set to head for my "archives" then got lazy and did a google search. Guess what-correct on the 477 displacement but they had different heads and also did not carry the Super Duty 100,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for the information. Looks like the 475 was an 'economy' version of the 477.

Aussie Ford LTD (P6) from '76 to '79 with 121" wheelbase and 211" long was my favorite big Aussie Ford.

By that time Australia was on US '72 emissions and the 351 was fitted with 2v open chamber heads

but FoA fited a 4V Carter Thermoquad carburettor giving 216 hp and 317 lb ft torque

50942al_20.jpeg

Edited by jpd80

Sad to hear, hopefully it reopens in the future

For anyone who cares, the 351 Cleveland tooling was transferred to Geelong, Australia where the 351C and short stroke 302 C lived happily on until 1984.

Engine plant No. 2 will be torn down, just like the casting plant on the complex. Plant No. 1 will be adding a line for 4 cyl engined though.

Engine plant No. 2 will be torn down, just like the casting plant on the complex.

Do you know if Ford, the City of Brook Park, or Cuyahoga County have any redevelopment plans defined after the facility is torn down?

From what I hear, after Ford finishes demolition and cleanup, they are going to put the property on the market. Being that it is near the airport, and there are a number of distribution facilities nearby, that may be the use.