Mystery Ford Concept

Hardly, if ford listened to people here they would of continued doing what they're doing and sonner or later go out of business. To many people here defend ford 100% on stuff that is really bad.

I disagree...if Ford listened to people here...they would never make any decisions. The reason is NOT because too many defend Ford 100% of the time. The reason they could not make them because the conversation in here does nothing but go around in circles and ends right up where it started.

Of course, then you have the crowd on here...no matter what Ford does it will NEVER be good enough. I don't know why those people even take an interest in the Company. :shrug:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Sixcav
Correct me if I'm wrong. But this thread was about guessing what the concept is or might be. I don't remember anything about it resimbles this or looks like that or what are the 3 basic shapes too designing a car.
Well since you can't remember let me help you by posting some of the very stuff that was posted on this thread ok.

The greenhouse looks like it's straight off of my T-Bird SC.

The lower body shape reminds me a bit of the Messenger concept.
Sorta GR-1 meets Mustang...

By the looks of things, I would guess that it's a Mustang platform, with a Mercury body, and my 1996 Thunderbird's greenhouse. I would also guess either a Cougar or Lincoln Mark IX.
I think Ford is utilizing the 427 grill......a little too much, IMHO.

To me it looks like a bigger reflect with a previous Tbird greenhouse.
Looks like just about every generic concept coupe since 1980 in this form.

I was thinking early 90s Lexus SC.

Maybe you remember now J2D. Noah I'm sorry if you can't understand the point I was making bud. I'm not going to draw pictures or say it in a nursery rhime so you can get it ok.

I don't know what to make of he clay model as it is... It really doesn't look like anything with Ford heritage... If it is a Lincoln quad coupe concept, just remember Ford has a track record of making Lincoln concepts that end up being Thunderbirds... It doesn't look like a Lincoln really and I don't see a market for anything like that Lincoln branded... Certainly does not look like a Cougar but I can see a little 1961 Tbird in it.. And I can also see that if the Austin Martin quad coupe concept was inspiration then you have to also remember early 60's Thunderbirds has an Austin Martin-like grille.. It may be stretching it to think it could be a Thunderbird but you never know... If the clay model is a judge, then they need to inish it and show us later...

I don't know what to make of he clay model as it is... It really doesn't look like anything with Ford heritage... If it is a Lincoln quad coupe concept, just remember Ford has a track record of making Lincoln concepts that end up being Thunderbirds... It doesn't look like a Lincoln really and I don't see a market for anything like that Lincoln branded... Certainly does not look like a Cougar but I can see a little 1961 Tbird in it.. And I can also see that if the Austin Martin quad coupe concept was inspiration then you have to also remember early 60's Thunderbirds has an Austin Martin-like grille.. It may be stretching it to think it could be a Thunderbird but you never know... If the clay model is a judge, then they need to inish it and show us later...

Now that you mention it... I do see the 1961 Thunderbird. Wouldn't that be something? A RWD, quad-coupe Thunderbird.

Maybe Ford has concocted some sort of notion that they will attempt to build a Thunderbird/ Cougar/ Mark coupe with similar lines left off from the late 90s on a version of the Mustang platform and attempt to fill a gap. A mid to large RWD quad door coupe with usable interior volume could perhaps take the place of the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car among retail customers while keeping the V8 RWD heritage.

The only thing about that is no likely interests in the fleet market, unless the Five Hundred will move to take that position with the 3.5 V6.

Far-fetched as it seems, it appears that Ford has some 'unique' thinking going on somewhere and that they feel compelled to distance themselves from thinking like DCX and GM. This clay model is very intriguing to say the least because as stated it seems like a departure from anything Ford has done in recent years.

Noah I'm sorry if you can't understand the point I was making bud. I'm not going to draw pictures or say it in a nursery rhime so you can get it ok.

That's okay, I wouldn't expect you to remember any of them from your "education". Just go on thinking your "Arts and Design Degree" lends you some stratospheric intellect that none of us mere mortals can comprehend *cough*.

What really baffles me is that I began this by pointing out that you were right. The only thing I can tell that we disagree on is that it doesn't take a farkin' mastermind to see your point. And any idiot reading this thread can tell that. Well, any idiot except for one...

Maybe Ford has concocted some sort of notion that they will attempt to build a Thunderbird/ Cougar/ Mark coupe with similar lines left off from the late 90s on a version of the Mustang platform and attempt to fill a gap. A mid to large RWD quad door coupe with usable interior volume could perhaps take the place of the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car among retail customers while keeping the V8 RWD heritage.

The only thing about that is no likely interests in the fleet market, unless the Five Hundred will move to take that position with the 3.5 V6.

Far-fetched as it seems, it appears that Ford has some 'unique' thinking going on somewhere and that they feel compelled to distance themselves from thinking like DCX and GM. This clay model is very intriguing to say the least because as stated it seems like a departure from anything Ford has done in recent years.

My only concern is that the clay concept instantly reminded me of an old Toyota Supra with quad doors... Guess we better wait to see how the clay model is finished because so much detail is missing. But the rear looks long enough to support rear seat room and there is a distinctly Mustang-like exceution of the wheel arches and lower body sculpting. But I swear this could be the next Thunderbird, especially with the projectile nose like the 1961 model. It makes a lot of sense that the next logical step for the T-bird is to go back to four seats and pick up the next logical retro styling cue in the hood lines that would be most appropriate for a car in this day and age.

I was thinking the same thing, but not really:

Mercury_Messenger.jpg

damn, I haven't seen that concept in a while...it doesnt do anything for me now..

It still does a lot for me... God that is a beautiful car!

Edited by Watchdevil

Well after looking at your photo, I just had a bit of serendipity here...

Everyone is bitching about Ford's lack of a modern RWD sedan

Ford has stated that the T-bird would come back in the Future

So how does this sound:

A new 4 Door T-bird that would replace the Crown Vic thats based on a seriously updated S197 platform that allows IRS and 2 extra doors, but you can still build a live axle Mustang off it and make money?

I think we would have a winner....maybe even throw in a 4 door converitible hardtop??

The T-bird name would be an excellent name for a sporty looking Sedan and I dont think Panther Fans would bitch too much either.

Guest Sixcav
I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, anyway. Too bad they didn't throw in any rhetoric or logic classes.

If you're gonna dish it out, be ready to take it.

Maybe you remember now J2D. Noah I'm sorry if you can't understand the point I was making bud. I'm not going to draw pictures or say it in a nursery rhime so you can get it ok.

Sorry, if I touched a NERVE with you. We humans don't want any trouble. IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS. If you seem to have a problem with designing vehicles it's not my fault. the fault only lies within ones self.

I would like to know how could one person/being design something so unique without using another vehicle for direction?

Well after looking at your photo, I just had a bit of serendipity here...

Everyone is bitching about Ford's lack of a modern RWD sedan

Ford has stated that the T-bird would come back in the Future

So how does this sound:

A new 4 Door T-bird that would replace the Crown Vic thats based on a seriously updated S197 platform that allows IRS and 2 extra doors, but you can still build a live axle Mustang off it and make money?

I think we would have a winner....maybe even throw in a 4 door converitible hardtop??

The T-bird name would be an excellent name for a sporty looking Sedan and I dont think Panther Fans would bitch too much either.

Ford said it would keep the nameplate polished on the shelf and bring it back when it is appropriate for the right car. After all, a 50 year old nameplate like Thunderbird should never die. Ford can play on past success of bringing a four seat version following the two seater, plus play on the heritage of the four seat versions that historically sold very well. They can also be a little experimental like they brought a four door version in the late 60's, just with a twist of having small quad doors to help retain coupe-like styling. The Thunderbird should return as a halo image car as top of the line with advanced features. I would buy a quad coupe Thunderbird and think nothing of it.. As long as it is sexy and looks like a Thunderbird. I can see how the clay concept could be the next Tbird which will test public reaction to a possibe quad coupe model. If people like it, then it will probably be a go.. If not, they could bring it back as a coupe. It's likely though that a convertble model is out of the question for fear of eating Mustang sales. Lincoln could use a convertble model though to compete with Cadillac and to have something in the showroom with a convertible top since there are none in any Lincoln-Mercury showroom. However, it seems that the possibility of a revived Cougar model is still up in the air.... Mrcury could use a Cougar again.. But the right Cougar.

As long as it is sexy and looks like a Thunderbird. I can see how the clay concept could be the next Tbird which will test public reaction to a possibe quad coupe model. If people like it, then it will probably be a go.. If not, they could bring it back as a coupe. It's likely though that a convertble model is out of the question for fear of eating Mustang sales. Lincoln could use a convertble model though to compete with Cadillac and to have something in the showroom with a convertible top since there are none in any Lincoln-Mercury showroom. However, it seems that the possibility of a revived Cougar model is still up in the air.... Mrcury could use a Cougar again.. But the right Cougar.

I really think that a T-bird vert wouldnt take any Mustang Sales, provided that it started at 32-35K+, which would be the sweet spot for the T-bird..not too expesive, but its luxurious.

Then add in that a Lincoln can be built off the same car and well we have a very good business model for Ford that will make $$$ for them too. Have to figure that Ford could sell about 100-125K of these cars between a T-bird Sedan/convert/Lincoln

Hmm. I wonder how well an updated MN12 Thunderbird would do in this day and age. If technology progressed as it did, my own car (a 1996 that stickered for 20k new), would cost about $25,000, with leather and a V8.

It was always a very sleek design. I think the next step would be a return to the segment the Thunderbird pioneered in the late 60's... the 4-door coupe. Mustang platform. Long hood, very short deck. 4-places, with a flow-through center console. Styling inspired by the Shelby GR-1. V8 and V6 choices. The curves and sleekness would be a VERY sexy design, unlike the 300C or its hopefuly 427 conventional 4-door sister. I was going to suggest doing a Shelby GR-1 inspired Thunderbird to hit the Corvette where it hurts, but Ford needs volume at the moment.

THAT would be a low cost bold move.

<< I really think that a T-bird vert wouldnt take any Mustang Sales, provided that it started at 32-35K+, which would be the sweet spot for the T-bird..not too expesive, but its luxurious. >>

That would be more expensive than top of the line Fusions and Five Hundreds -- I say it should be priced at about 20k.

People who buy the Mustang want power and image.

People who bought the 1990s T-Bird wanted a basic 2-door (SC sales aside). In fact, the Fusion 2-door could well be the "rennaissance" T-Bird for some.

<< I really think that a T-bird vert wouldnt take any Mustang Sales, provided that it started at 32-35K+, which would be the sweet spot for the T-bird..not too expesive, but its luxurious. >>

That would be more expensive than top of the line Fusions and Five Hundreds -- I say it should be priced at about 20k.

Why not charge a preium for a 4 door T-bird? Why cause more pressure on the 500 and Fusion by starting a RWD sedan at the same price as those? I thought Ford was in the business to make money, not give away cars to the public. The only reason the LX cars are selling well is that their C/D cars sized suck donkey nuts.

Developing and selling a brand-new (or even heavily modified) RWD sedan isn't going to put any kind of pressure on Five-Hundred or Fusion that isn't already present due to what they were created for. Fusion isn't effected by Five-Hundred and I don't think Five-Hundred would be threatened by a RWD V8 sedan, simply because most buyers who are going to consider a car like an Accord or Camry will be more interested in the Five-Hundred...hopefully, for Ford's sake. The benefits of having that additional edge of a RWD sedan, gives Ford a secondary option that the others do not offer and AT THE SAME TIME appeasing the RWD Ford loyalists.

Really the smartest thing for Ford would have been to have developed a platform that could go FWD, RWD or AWD depending on the needs of the individual model. Chrysler, it is said, developed the LH platform years ago to do that very thing, but failed to follow up on the RWD or AWD because during its usage, the SUV and truck market was booming from popularity and lower gas prices. Remember the Charger that was built in 1999? What is being thrown out there for this 'mystery' concept was actually built by Chrysler as the Dodge Charger concept. It had two larger front doors and two smaller rear doors. The popularity was immense and it was built on the LH platform, but by the time the concept was on the circuit, the LX platform was in development. Viewers craved the Charger concept and were more than disappointed initially when they just basically got a coupe-like roof on a 300 and a Charger badge with a crosshair Dodge grille.

Investing heavily into one extremely versatile large platform would have alleviated these problems. I don't really think Panther owners are so dedicated to body on frame so much as they are to the notion of having a competent RWD V8 car that can take its place admirably...whether a rigid unibody or BOF. Perhaps Ford has studied the 99 Dodge Charger concept and the popularity it enjoyed and imagined that they could possibly build something like this that would be a well-rounded coupe-like sedan that could fill a niche market. If so, that would be a bold move for Ford.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, the Mustang didn't see production...nor the GT500 version...

...the "Triton" and "Tonka" truck concepts haven't related to production models at all (cough)...

...the Ford GT concept didn't go anywhere...

...the Freestyle didn't happen...

...and the 427 (which is underwhelming in person, IMO) hasn't affected the styling of anything, particularly the Fusion.

I guess I should clarify that the above is sarcasm...it's obvious some might be confused.

Yeah, the Mustang didn't see production...nor the GT500 version...

...the "Triton" and "Tonka" truck concepts haven't related to production models at all (cough)...

...the Ford GT concept didn't go anywhere...

...the Freestyle didn't happen...

...and the 427 (which is underwhelming in person, IMO) hasn't affected the styling of anything, particularly the Fusion.

I guess I should clarify that the above is sarcasm...it's obvious some might be confused.

I live very near Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant. I can tell you the Tonka concept is just weeks away from being introduced on the heavy duty F series. I see them driving by all the time in their "camo" decor that reallyl doesn't hide the true styling. Let's just hope Ford can last long enough to see these vehicles make them some money.