Ford teases 2013 F-150 Limited ahead of Tuesday debut

2013-Ford-F-150-Limited-teaser-photo-623x389.jpg

This teaser image is our first look at the most glamorous trim level yet of the 2013 Ford F-150. Ford will reveal the Limited trim level on Tuesday, but for now, we can make some educated guesses on its contents based on this image and previous updates to Ford trucks.

Ford promises us that the Limited will be the “most refined and luxurious” version of the F-150 to date, and it’s clear that this red leather will headline the interior upgrades. Ford recently refreshed the 2013 F-150 (pictured below) with changes like new front grilles, the introduction of the MyFord Touch infotainment system, and optional HID headlights. The FX4 trim level of the 2013 F-150 even paced a NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway.

Wouldn't it be better if Ford used the same name to designate the top-of-the-line trim level across its line-up? Why not call this the F-150 Titanium? Same with the Taurus.

Limited is used already across the truck/SUV lineup. Thus far, Titanium is only used on cars. Could likely see them combined one way or the other in the future, but I don't see much problem with it.

Really? The VIN #? Has it come to this that we are just looking for ridiculous things to get an extra buck out of someone?

I'm sure the truck is luxurious and exemplary in every other way, but I find that badge utterly foolish.

Eh, I'm okay with a badge, but that location is idiotic. It's right where you'd be resting your arm. :headscratch:

• Like 1

It seems inset enough to not be much of a bother (except on super hot days...and super cold days).

Actually looking at it --- that's right where my wrist would be on my truck when I'm on long trips. I do like the armrest though it looks softer than the one in my truck. The badge is dumb though.

You guys new to this? Its not the first time a badge has been in that spot. Harley anyone?

The V.I.N. and Number show the low volume/limited run for that model.

2010-harley-f150-console.jpg

OK, that settles it. People will buy anything.

My prediction? The Siri button doubles the yearly automotive sales for North America in 2013.

• Like 1

Platinum sounds more exclusive and unique to the F-Series than "Limited".

Ford's naming scheme is pretty messy and nonsensical, but they do their research. The F-150 in particularly sells on it's individuality so creating a vast array of configurations and special nameplates means something to it's customers. F-150 is a brand within a brand, kinda like Mustang, it needs to diversify to reach more customers. With the other cars, you have people cross shopping so they have to have some consistency.

Edited by BORG

The naming confusion reminds me a bit of when Ford used to sell Limited and Eddie Bauer version of the Explorer. There was a mish mash of options available on one version and not the other, making neither one of them truly a "top tier" trim in the lineup.

It was more about image than a ladder-theory of trims... Eddie Bauer was the old-school, two tone Ford SUV look, while the Limited was monochrome.

Limited is used already across the truck/SUV lineup. Thus far, Titanium is only used on cars. Could likely see them combined one way or the other in the future, but I don't see much problem with it.

I keep hoping Ford will bring back the old "Ghia" designation for top-of-the line models.

It was more about image than a ladder-theory of trims... Eddie Bauer was the old-school, two tone Ford SUV look, while the Limited was monochrome.

Yes, they looked different, but they both also offered options that the other did not. It was confusing as heck for customers and sales staff alike.

Coming soon F-Series Limitanium. Each console lid is hand signed by Alan Mulally in Gold Leaf.

'Irregardless' of any opprobrium for being a fabrication, "Limitanium" actually kinda works IMHO, and most North Americans'll look at it and go, "Ay-yup, Limitanium, alright. Looks real nice." Maybe Ford could do a deal with Coach leather, and offer a Limitanium Coach Series. Pile it higher and deeper.

Edit: on reflection, getting Al and maybe Bill Ford to sign, say 100 truly limited-edition F-150's is also an interesting idea. Maybe for the launch of the next one? Imagine if GM tried that with the chooch they have running it?

:)

Edited by Edstock
  • Like 1

'Irregardless' of any opprobrium for being a fabrication, "Limitanium" actually kinda works IMHO, and most North Americans'll look at it and go, "Ay-yup, Limitanium, alright. Looks real nice." Maybe Ford could do a deal with Coach leather, and offer a Limitanium Coach Series. Pile it higher and deeper.

Edit: on reflection, getting Al and maybe Bill Ford to sign, say 100 truly limited-edition F-150's is also an interesting idea. Maybe for the launch of the next one? Imagine if GM tried that with the chooch they have running it?

:)

Excellent idea, just use UNobtainium in lieu of Limitanium. Connotation of 'you can't get it' and a signature is worth at least another $2K in F150 ATP.

Edited by Consult1

It's not confusing to people who buy F-150's. XL, STX, XLT, FX, LARIAT, KING RANCH, PLATINUM, LIMITED.

With Titanium you think of cars so that won't work on truck buyers.

Raptor is in a category all by itself.

There is no Harley this year.

The badges with build/vin numbers are at least 10 years old.

1vinplaque.jpg

Edited by Bryan1