Ford delays new Mondeo

GHENT, Belgium -- Ford Motor Co. has delayed the production start of its new Mondeo midsized car.

Mondeo production was scheduled to start at Ford's factory in Genk, Belgium, on April 6 next year, but has been postponed for up to three months, according to local media reports which cited union sources.

Ford Belgium spokesman Arnaud Henckaerts confirmed the delay to Automotive News Europe. "It is caused by problems related to homologation and specification levels. We do not want to go too much into the details, because it is an internal problem," he said.

Fusion-1_2103788b.jpg

Ford Belgium spokesman Arnaud Henckaerts confirmed the delay to Automotive News Europe. "It is caused by problems related to homologation and specification levels. We do not want to go too much into the details, because it is an internal problem," he said.

Some of the American design isn't working so well in the European versions?

Ah well, that was to be expected with Mondeo also having a 5-door hatch, Station wagon and diesel variants

Found some more news from What Car UK

Production of the 2013

Ford Mondeo

has been delayed by three months, meaning it isn't due on sale in the UK until September 2013 at the earliest. The most recent on-sale date was said to be June.

There are changes for the European model, which will be built at the company's plant in Genk, Belgium. The delay, said Ford’ spokesman, is down to resolving quality issues for the European market.‘We have a complex global vehicle programme, and we have to sort issues with the vehicle’s robustness and quality that would not be met with the original timings,’ he continued.

http://www.whatcar.c...-delayed/263469

Edited by MKII

There are changes for the European model, which will be built at the company's plant in Genk, Belgium. The delay, said Ford’ spokesman, is down to resolving quality issues for the European market.‘We have a complex global vehicle programme, and we have to sort issues with the vehicle’s robustness and quality that would not be met with the original timings,’

So what does this gobbly gook mean? At first glance, it sounds like the US Fusion doesn't have the "chops" for handling the EU market?!

If anything, this doesn't speak too well for One Ford to a point, from what I understand, Ford NA was the lead for the Fusion, but it doesn't sound like the car they designed can cut it in the EU market. I guess its easier to go from "high" class EU product like the Focus and "cheapen" it for the NA market?

Oh well might be a blessing anyways with the way the EU car market is going anyways....

So what does this gobbly gook mean? At first glance, it sounds like the US Fusion doesn't have the "chops" for handling the EU market?!

If anything, this doesn't speak too well for One Ford to a point, from what I understand, Ford NA was the lead for the Fusion, but it doesn't sound like the car they designed can cut it in the EU market. I guess its easier to go from "high" class EU product like the Focus and "cheapen" it for the NA market?

Oh well might be a blessing anyways with the way the EU car market is going anyways....

Or it could mean that FoE's production quality woes are far worse than North America's, which seems quite possible too.

Some of the American design isn't working so well in the European versions?

Yep, I can believe that . . . you see, One Ford requires that the EU Ford operations learn to build cars properly, and for them, it's a learning curve. Eventually Ford EU will get it right. :)

• Like 1

AFAIK, there's only one launch team for a vehicle, and that launch team rotates from site to site.

This could mean a delay in getting the Fusion team to Genk, or it could mean a longer than expected stay in Genk. It's probably not prudent to assert that the delay is due to previous poor quality at FoE.

After all, much of the improvement in quality comes from processes and tools, and little from retraining line workers, therefore it seems unlikely that the workers will need another 3 months of remedial training....

Reading that, I should clarify what I mean by processes:

1 - better final assembly workflow, that is, pieces that are easier to install

2 - batch and hold shipping and inspections.

3 - assembly of plant-based workgroups that receive and investigate customer quality complaints.

As well as replacement of pneumatic tools with programmed electric tools that tighten exactly to spec and are tied into the plant IT infrastructure.

Edited by RichardJensen

Reading that, I should clarify what I mean by processes:

1 - better final assembly workflow, that is, pieces that are easier to install

2 - batch and hold shipping and inspections.

3 - assembly of plant-based workgroups that receive and investigate customer quality complaints.

As well as replacement of pneumatic tools with programmed electric tools that tighten exactly to spec and are tied into the plant IT infrastructure.

there are different ways to build high quality cars..

Americans like tools and processes to improve quality and less reliance on human quality control, think 6 sigma, laser measurement systems used in FNA plants.

Japanese are more about precision, using precision and control of parts entering the plant and the processes within the plants to ensure quality.

germans are more about craftsmanship, using better trained labor to improve quality. they don;t use machines to improve quality but add more people to improve the product.

each style has it's advantages and disadvantages and in the global industry we have today it is harder and harder to categorize each style.

the issue IMO with FoE is that their plants can deliver good quality from their own designs, but FoE Designs can struggle in FNA plants. things like the size of a bolt hole in a door FOE uses a larger hole for adjustment than FNA would with Regional customs. In Germany unions are guild of highly train trained workers that enforce their own apprenticeship programs and have a legacy of quality workmanship and worker can be placing into the guild at a young age, while here you can be hired off the street with little or no experience in manufacturing.

with the fusion being built to FNA standards and to an extent Mazda Japanese standards with like Richard said an emphasis on process and procedure, which is good for and less trained workforce, but until now not required for FOE.

In the end as ford become one ford, the US procedures for manufacturing will become the standard for the entire company.

the issue with the focus and other cars, is the fact that Ford NA and other US makes become too obsessed with short term incentives like labor contracts and make bad decisions, like turning off those expensive laser machines to make the production quota. the lesson seem to be learned form the escapes I have seen much closer panel gaps than the early focuses. but going forward these mistake cannot be repeated if there were issues with the translation of the Focus to NA ford should have done what they are doing to the Mondeo wait. Ford broke it's own rules by rampping up production so fast, and losing control of the launch.

I am not looking for an argument Just wanted to express what i think is going on.

the issue IMO with FoE is that their plants can deliver good quality from their own designs

Don't you realize that all the Fusion is a rebodied Mondeo? which has been been built in the EU for how long now?

Quit trying to pull nonsensical arguments out of your ass by pulling information from a magazine or the internet.

Don't you realize that all the Fusion is a rebodied Mondeo? which has been been built in the EU for how long now?

Quit trying to pull nonsensical arguments out of your ass by pulling information from a magazine or the internet.

It alot more than a rebodied Mondeo, form a Product development POV they are the same car it is the details of How they are assembled which separate it from the mondeo. like the focus moved to new supplier network, the european fusion is moving to new supplier netwrok that blends FNA and FOE Tech and sense FNA took the lead It looks like they have made changes.

the analogy Is Mondeo shell and all the expensive Crash strutures and Powerpacks were carried over, but everything else was redone.

I.E. it like remodleing a 125 year old house, by taking everything down to the studs, and replace the exterior and and interior with all new.stuff.

while it save alot of money keeping the bones of the house replacing everything else means those old fuses will not fit that brand new breaker box.

the new Fusion blends the old FoE archtechtures with new one Ford philsophies. thus there is an period where the old is replaced with the new for ford

NA this was C2 for FOE this is CD4.

My Arguments in this case is comppletely out of my Ass nothing to do with any magzine.

Don't you realize that the old Mondeo was FWD only for how long now? So the AWD Fusion can't be a "rebodied Mondeo". Different floorpan. :)

Don't you realize that the old Mondeo was FWD only for how long now? So the AWD Fusion can't be a "rebodied Mondeo". Different floorpan. :)

I was looking for something more substantial than appearance. Thanks for that.

BTW, a quick look at Wikipedia shows that the last appearance of an AWD Mondeo was in '96 (Mk2 = our Contour and Mystique).

But the EUCD platform has been used in AWD applications, like Volvo...or Range Rover etc...its not like it was an all new thing to add to the platform.

I question the notion that FOE did well building their own designs, based on years of subpar JDP scores.

But to your point, the Tier 1 components (think dash, stereo, HVAC, etc.)--much of the stuff that is assembled in final assembly--are very different on the new Fusion/Mondeo.

Ford has also used virtual manufacturing and other advanced manufacturing engineering tools to make the assembly process easier:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27948

http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2011/05/fords-global-expansion-starts-with-a-hollywood-avatar-working-on-virtual-assembly-lines

This change in process, suppliers, and sequencing means that final assembly on the new Mondeo is likely quite different than the old one.

For those who think that 2013 Fusion is just a 2012 Mondeo with a quick nose job and US switch gear think again,

the Fusion actually has nearly an inch more shoulder room front and back and around an inch more rear leg room.

Edited by jpd80

But the EUCD platform has been used in AWD applications, like Volvo...or Range Rover etc...its not like it was an all new thing to add to the platform.

platform doe snot equal floor pan. the Mondeo is different form the AWD variants of the platform the s80/S60 because it had to share major part of it floor pan with the MPvs, Galaxy and S-max, to make the entire program viable.

while the S80 and S60 share IRs modules with the mondeo the AWD module may not fit in the existing floor pan,because of the clearance for the Diff. basically the same issue the focus has with AWD.

I question the notion that FOE did well building their own designs, based on years of subpar JDP scores.

JDP measures in the US are not comparable to those in Europe the builds are more complex, TGW for Europeans are not always the same TGW for Americans. From eprsonal Experience the assemgbly quality of a 1st gen European focus was far superior to that of 1st gen US focus.

I will leave it at that.