'13 Escape Extended Warranty Pricing?

rk2112

I've read on several forums that www.zeiglerfordesp.com has the best price. I did a quick quote for a 2013 Escape, FWD, Premium +, 6 year/100000 mile, 0-12000 miles driven a year, $50 deductable and the price was $1455. My opinion is to wait until you've had your car for at least a year before considering an ESP. The price stays the same or only increases slightly if the mileage is still under 12000 miles.

Edited by transitman

There's no reason to purchase an ESP for at least three years and five years if it's only the drive train you're concern about. The cost may be a little more, but you'll still have the original amount in your pocket. Keep your money, use it another way, or invest it in a fund that's going to make you at least $1500.00 over the next three to five years, then you can purchase the ESP basically for free. I purchased an ESP on my Fusion and in hindsight it was a waste of my money, mainly because I sold the car before the manufacturers warranty had expired and the company I purchased it from made it a PITA to get a refund.

There's no reason to purchase an ESP for at least three years and five years if it's only the drive train you're concern about. The cost may be a little more, but you'll still have the original amount in your pocket. Keep your money, use it another way, or invest it in a fund that's going to make you at least $1500.00 over the next three to five years, then you can purchase the ESP basically for free. I purchased an ESP on my Fusion and in hindsight it was a waste of my money, mainly because I sold the car before the manufacturers warranty had expired and the company I purchased it from made it a PITA to get a refund.

I agree with you...no need to purchase it early in the warranty period, but if you do purchase it, you need to purchase it BEFORE then end of the original warranty, so you can't wait "at least" 3 years, it has to be "at most" 3 years and "at most" 36,000 miles if you are looking for a full-coverage warranty.

I agree with you...no need to purchase it early in the warranty period, but if you do purchase it, you need to purchase it BEFORE then end of the original warranty, so you can't wait "at least" 3 years, it has to be "at most" 3 years and "at most" 36,000 miles if you are looking for a full-coverage warranty.

Correct. It must be purchased before the end of the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty so you can't wait 5 years.

Correct. It must be purchased before the end of the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty so you can't wait 5 years.

Probably the only benefit to buying when you purchase the vehicle is you can have the cost rolled into your payment.

You are correct and I knew that. It must have pushed out of my overloaded memory bank after I watched another episode of Family Guy.

The ESP questionaire usually asks, how many miles and is the car still under the manufacturers warranty. Still, why pay for something you won't use.

Probably the only benefit to buying when you purchase the vehicle is you can have the cost rolled into your payment.

Exactly. That's the only time I recommend someone purchase an ESP - when they can't afford to pay for any big repairs. If you roll it into the payment then it's only a few dollars per month.

My experience in the past is I can get a better deal online for an ESP than I can get from dealer, so I can't roll it into my payment. On my truck in 2008, the difference was substantial, like $600. My dealer was not happy when I told him. Some of those online dealers must be selling them at a loss, or my dealer is trying to make a lot of money on ESP?

My experience in the past is I can get a better deal online for an ESP than I can get from dealer, so I can't roll it into my payment. On my truck in 2008, the difference was substantial, like $600. My dealer was not happy when I told him. Some of those online dealers must be selling them at a loss, or my dealer is trying to make a lot of money on ESP?

The latter. ESPs and other post-sale add-ons are very profitable for the dealer. Why would an online dealer sell something below cost when they don't have any way to make it up somewhere? It would be more likely for the dealer selling the vehicle to do that to close the deal. Except they don't like to do that because they can make big profits in most cases.

The dealer can add the cost to the new loan and give it back to you in cash if they want to, but they probably wouldn't go to that much trouble if you aren't buying it from them.

At first I was thinking that wasn't a bad price, but given the incremental coverage over the factory warranty is only 24K miles, ah, not so good. Heck, the powertrain portion of the factory warranty covers 5yrs/60K. With some internet searching, you can find much better deals, and I'm talking about the same Ford warranty program. You were wise to decline the purchase at the time.

• 1 month later...

Price is definitely better online for ESP but good luck if you sell the vehicle early. The contract states you can cancel it anytime and get a partial refund. When I opted to trade my '04 Sport Trac for an '06 Escape I spent three months and multiple calls trying to get the contract canceled by the dealership I had ordered it from online. The good old the check is in the mail routine. I contacted Ford customer service and provided documentation of their lies. Ford Customer Service contacted the stealership and I got the check in the mail within one week. A check for $600 on an ESP warranty that cost $950 and the vehicle was still under the bumper to bumper Ford warranty.

Edited by dtorres

Yes, that is my plan. Skip paying for the ESP for now. Because this is my first American vehicle since 1983. My last two vehicles lasted well over 200,000 miles(I've only had 3 since then). If my new Escape gives me lots of problems by 36,000 miles I will not hesitate to sell it. So why pay for something I might not need. If I'm happy with it by 36,000, then I will purchase the ESP before 36,000 or 3 years. Some folks tell me its a gamble, but at this moment in time I think its important to help America. And Ford didn't take any government bailout money.