Will Nissan beat FORD to 30M MPG Truck ??

gafry

Cummins is a diesel engine manufacturer. They will sell engines to whomever will buy them. Ford offers a Cummins engine in the F650/F750.All Cummins is doing is finding a customer for their light duty diesel. If this supposed 4 cylinder diesel was any good, I'm sure it would be going into a Ram. But instead, Chrysler is talking about using the same Fiat diesel from the Jeep GC in the Ram 1500. Sounds like Nissan is still trying to make their POS Titan relevant.

• Like 1

First of all Ford has had a 30 MPG truck since the early 90's my dad owns a 94 2wd Ranger 4 cyclinder that has been getting 30 mpg since he bought it used 12 years ago. It's not really clear what you are asking, really. Honestly I don't care, I've owned Nissan's before and with a more limited dealer network getting them fixed is very expensive and parts are always hard to find. Sure the Nissan Titan is a capable vehicle, but if you lose a CV joint in one out in the middle of nowhere likely your truck will be sitting for 2-3 weeks while the part is ordered in.

If the part of the solution of a 30 mpg truck involves hybrid technology, count me out, now that the hybrid's are reaching 10 years of age owners are learning that replacing the battery costs them anywhere from $5k plus to about $2k, in other words every penny saved is spent on the replacing the battery.

Looks like Cummins is working with Nissian to make a 4 cylinder Diesel that will get 30 MPG.

What does Ford have going or will it bet left behind ??

Ford has a much lighter F150 coming for 2014, while others diddle around fudging CAFE numbers with 8-speed autos,

Ford is actually doing something about reducing the energy requirements to move the truck in the first place.

• Like 1

Ford has a much lighter F150 coming for 2014, while others diddle around fudging CAFE numbers with 8-speed autos,

Ford is actually doing something about reducing the energy requirements to move the truck in the first place.

Really? So at that point will the Expedition resume sharing the F150's platform? They no longer sell enough of them to justify a dedicated platform, so will they do away with IRS in the Expedition or will IRS become an option for the F150? I heard from a dealer that Ford considered putting IRS on the current generation F150. I suppose they could just have a custom rear section of the frame to provide IRS for the Expedition.

Really? So at that point will the Expedition resume sharing the F150's platform? They no longer sell enough of them to justify a dedicated platform, so will they do away with IRS in the Expedition or will IRS become an option for the F150? I heard from a dealer that Ford considered putting IRS on the current generation F150. I suppose they could just have a custom rear section of the frame to provide IRS for the Expedition.

We discussed this at length a few weeks ago. It seems a foregone conclusion that the next Expy will share most of the new F150. It may or may not get IRS. It all comes down to cost.

• 1 month later...