Ford weight savings....where?

Increased use of HSS and AHSS (e.g., HSLA, dual phase, martensitic, etc.) in automobile body structures should result in decreased mass. World Steel Association estimates a 25% mass reduction potential to the body in white and 9% reduction potential to overall vehicle mass if AHSS is used in place of conventional (ferritic) mild steel.

HSS, AHSS, meh. I'm holding out for Rearden metal.

• Like 1

Anyone notice that the new bigger international Mazda 6 starts out at around 1360Kg - just under 3,000 lbs - significantly lighter than most mid sized competition.

This is an example of what can happen when manufacturers really concentrate on getting weight out of vehicles.

Hypothetical, a new CD4 Taurus based on a longer and wider fusion arrives but is barely 150 lbs heavier than the Fusion,

selection of platforms has as more to do with lighter vehicles than trying to slim down existing vehicle types..

Edited by jpd80

Anyone notice that the new bigger international Mazda 6 starts out at around 1360Kg - just under 3,000 lbs - significantly lighter than most mid sized competition.

This is an example of what can happen when manufacturers really concentrate on getting weight out of vehicles.

It remains to be seen, however, just how well the new bigger international Mazda 6 survives repeated encounters with the good ol' American pothole.

The good news is that with advanced materials as they emerge to be practical, things will get lighter and stronger. :)

The flip side of this is the embarrassment Ford middle management had to go through when the current Explorer that is so heavy, the 2.0L EcoBoost was held back a full year trying to squeak out a few more horsepower. Target weight for that vehicle should have been 4,000 with a "stretch objective" of 3,800.

I'll bet very few of those 2.0L EcoBoost engine were sold in Explorers in 2012MY. I heard they were rather "anemic".

The flip side of this is the embarrassment Ford middle management had to go through when the current Explorer that is so heavy, the 2.0L EcoBoost was held back a full year trying to squeak out a few more horsepower. Target weight for that vehicle should have been 4,000 with a "stretch objective" of 3,800.

I'll bet very few of those 2.0L EcoBoost engine were sold in Explorers in 2012MY. I heard they were rather "anemic".

Ford release --LINK

Since their introduction for the 2012 model year, sales of 2.0-liter EcoBoost®-equipped Explorer and Edge are running at 15 percent

The 2.0 EB is an honest trier but is found wanting in HEAVY vehicles. Just my opinion but something like an Ecoboost 2.7-3.0 V6 would have probably

suited Ford's purposes better and probably had wider use in FWD/AWD applications..Maybe a new series of engines will bring this to fruition...

Cadillac did a good job getting the weight out of its new ATS and Subaru with its new BRZ and Scion with FRwhatever. So it can be done without going to super expensive carbon fibler throughout and super high sticker prices. You just have to look at every part of car for weight savings and shave a pound here and there. It can add up to a couple hundred pounds on mid sizer and 500 pounds on big truck.

Cadillac did a good job getting the weight out of its new ATS and Subaru with its new BRZ and Scion with FRwhatever. So it can be done without going to super expensive carbon fibler throughout and super high sticker prices. You just have to look at every part of car for weight savings and shave a pound here and there. It can add up to a couple hundred pounds on mid sizer and 500 pounds on big truck.

and in a lot of cases road and Engine noise......Hondas are notorious....

And if you hear the piffling amounts of weight saved by GM going to 12mm bolts you'd wonder why bother...

Not to be little GM's efforts but ATS is not a good example of weight saving in a Compact sedan, we know that the Alpha

platform has engineering preservation to allow growth to large mid size and therefore still has more weight than desirable.

Edited by jpd80