Shipping ETA - TBD

expresspotato

Sigh, I placed my order with the dealer way back in May. I am afraid I have one of the early ones that seems to just keep getting held and held for "quality" and "inspection" purposes. My dealer told me it would be on the truck coming in Oct 26, but it didn't show. Since then all I get from the dealer is "no new news". All I got from Ford customer relations was the unhelpful following:

Hi Jordan!

Your Fusion has a VIN, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. It’s currently awaiting shipment while we do quality checks and inspections. Please know, we aim to deliver as quickly as possible; we want you to have it almost as bad as you do. The status date was updated recently, which means it’s had a bit of movement in the right direction! Check back with me next week and I’ll look for the latest news.

My Etis updated on a Tuesday, so don't think there's a specific day.

Also, I test drove a Passat TDI, tonight. Was way more impressed with it than the Jetta TDI and it's moving towards the top of the list quickly. It was fun to drive, has plenty of torque, plenty of room (holy crap that backseat is roomy) and it of course comes with that economical TDI. I'll still be disappointed if this is the direction I have to take, but won't be as disappointed.

*Added: The DSG automatic is quite nice, too.

Edited by GammaRae

Mine was built on 11/17 and it already had the 3.5.1 update. I drove it home tonight, but i only live a mile from the dealer and I didn't get a chance to check out the MFT yet.

Weird, mine was built 11/17 and has 3.2.2. The dealer did not install the update, so I'll have to take it in next week and have them do it. I'm also a bit disappointed that they drive the car from Wilmington, so it had 140 miles on it last night. :( Not a huge deal, but I was excited to get a car with <10 miles on it.

..............Also, I test drove a Passat TDI, tonight. Was way more impressed with it than the Jetta TDI and it's moving towards the top of the list quickly. It was fun to drive, has plenty of torque, plenty of room (holy crap that backseat is roomy) and it of course comes with that economical TDI. I'll still be disappointed if this is the direction I have to take, but won't be as disappointed.

*Added: The DSG automatic is quite nice, too.

It is a nice vehicle. Fun part about a diesel is you can "drive it like you stole it" and still return good mpg. Odds are very high you'll get over the EPA rating. Over 50 highway is common. My Jetta (not tuned as much for mpg) returned a lifetime 40mpg combined (90% commuting).There are some quirks, some particular to the vehicle & some to VW (it's just how they do things). Support community is superb, site dedicated to just the TDI. You can get an OBD connected dongle/software that allows you to mod a great many things (Vag-Com).

Depending on model it does have some quirks. The SEL comes with an RNS-510 nav unit - quirky @ best. Put it in reverse......wait for it.......ah, there's the camera. No voice integration, VW is pretty far behind in this area.

Some don't like it but the DSG spoiled me rotten. It's a manual transmission shifted by computer = you'll never find anything or anyone that can shift that fast. It uses two clutches to operate which means it's always ready to shift (it's like you working two shifters). Example - it's in first & second @ the same time. 1st is engaged, second has the clutch in.....time to shift it throw the clutch in for 1st & out for 2nd......now it shifts 1st to third & is ready (clutch in) - it does this in milliseconds....next shift comes up & the process is repeated. 2nd goes in, 3rd clutch out, 2nd is shifted to 4th......beat that :lol: And yes, it actually works that way - a computer using two clutches to shift what is a manual transmission (no torque converter). It does have some quirks but once you adapt it is superb. One chief complaint is the service......$400 - $500 every 40,000 mile which the first is beyond the 3yr/36,000 free service you get with VW. But come on, really? It's every 40,000 miles???

Overall you won't be sorry if you decide to go this route - it's a solid ride. Rated the #1 mid-sized sedan by MotorTrend:

http://autos.yahoo.c...s.html?page=all

FWIW - the Passat came in second for my recent purchase.......and it was very close......just liked the looks of the Fusion, certainly wouldn't be disappointed with either (though I do miss the mpg).

Edited by Bailey151

Passat has some nice qualities. Interior? Hope you like plastic. Style? Not even close. I could neve own anything that plain.

I own a VW now. I've owned two others. My current VW is the least favorite of them all and why I looked elsewhere. I was excited to give Ford a shot with this tremendously stylish and handsome vehicle. Here's the problem - I can't get it and the engine I wanted has had way too many problems. I know what I'm getting into with the Passat. Your plain comment is valid and understandable - I looked shortly at them before ordering my FF, but what you see as plain others view as practical and functional. As well, it wasn't nearly as plain as I expected it to be. The exterior certainly isn't as sexy, but it makes up in other ways.

It is a nice vehicle. Fun part about a diesel is you can "drive it like you stole it" and still return good mpg. Odds are very high you'll get over the EPA rating. Over 50 highway is common. My Jetta (not tuned as much for mpg) returned a lifetime 40mpg combined (90% commuting).There are some quirks, some particular to the vehicle & some to VW (it's just how they do things). Support community is superb, site dedicated to just the TDI. You can get an OBD connected dongle/software that allows you to mod a great many things (Vag-Com).

Depending on model it does have some quirks. The SEL comes with an RNS-510 nav unit - quirky @ best. Put it in reverse......wait for it.......ah, there's the camera. No voice integration, VW is pretty far behind in this area.

Some don't like it but the DSG spoiled me rotten. It's a manual transmission shifted by computer = you'll never find anything or anyone that can shift that fast. It uses two clutches to operate which means it's always ready to shift (it's like you working two shifters). Example - it's in first & second @ the same time. 1st is engaged, second has the clutch in.....time to shift it throw the clutch in for 1st & out for 2nd......now it shifts 1st to third & is ready (clutch in) - it does this in milliseconds....next shift comes up & the process is repeated. 2nd goes in, 3rd clutch out, 2nd is shifted to 4th......beat that :lol: And yes, it actually works that way - a computer using two clutches to shift what is a manual transmission (no torque converter). It does have some quirks but once you adapt it is superb. One chief complaint is the service......$400 - $500 every 40,000 mile which the first is beyond the 3yr/36,000 free service you get with VW. But come on, really? It's every 40,000 miles???

Overall you won't be sorry if you decide to go this route - it's a solid ride. Rated the #1 mid-sized sedan by MotorTrend:

http://autos.yahoo.c...s.html?page=all

FWIW - the Passat came in second for my recent purchase.......and it was very close......just liked the looks of the Fusion, certainly wouldn't be disappointed with either (though I do miss the mpg).

Pretty sure I'd be going with an SE w/Sunroof (no Nav). I don't need that crap. Just more stuff to go wrong and I would never use it. The interior additions to the SEL are nice, but eh. Not worth the extra $4000 to me.

The 40,000 service doesn't bother me in the least and neither does putting cat piss in it. ;) We're actually dealing with the urea issue on our large marine engines and the EPA regs, so it's not a new subject.

Re DSG: It is smooth and sport mode was fun. Didn't play with the tiptronic at all, but I'm sure it's very similar to all the others.

I was excited to give Ford a shot with this tremendously stylish and handsome vehicle. Here's the problem - I can't get it and the engine I wanted has had way too many problems.

I feel the same way. I thought give Ford a try - boy was I wrong! 1.6 EB engine FIRES are you serious? The whole car is going to catch fire because of this recall? That's nuts... Production delays, shipping delays.

I don't even have my car yet!

Good luck everyone with your Fusions. I'm out. TDI it is.

Probably a good idea Ford doesn't seem to be taking any of the TBD stuff seriously as its been MONTHS since production and most cars have still not shipped and anyone with a 1.6 EB engine is now on that list too.

To recap you can be TBD's for 3 reasons now:

- Body panel issues

- Headlamp issues / now a service (recall)

- Having a 1.6 Eco Boost engine

That's a lot of issues out the door for any brand and this is what Ford didn't need right now.

• Like 1

That sucks, but you'll be happy with the Passat. A friend of mine has a 2013 TDI and he is really happy with his. The dual clutch trans is simply awesome. I like the car personally, I just don't love it. I briefly considered getting one but the styling just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry to hear that you are now officially out, Gamma

I suspect that you will not be alone, though.

I am also thinking of pulling out of my order. (Ordered July 14th....stuck in TBD/Awaiting Shipment +....1.6L Recall)

Be sure to come back and let us know how you enjoy the new VW!

Good luck,

Finally got confirmation that my FFH took a trip to Michigan this past week. I guess they weren't repairing the cars in Mexico, they were just waiting until room was made at Flat Rock to make the repairs. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Why couldn't they make repairs at both facilities? I guess I will see the car at the very end of December now. Beyond frustrating. Ordered on September 7 and built on October 19.

Finally got confirmation that my FFH took a trip to Michigan this past week. I guess they weren't repairing the cars in Mexico, they were just waiting until room was made at Flat Rock to make the repairs. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Why couldn't they make repairs at both facilities? I guess I will see the car at the very end of December now. Beyond frustrating. Ordered on September 7 and built on October 19.

Well glad to see you're car has at least left Mexico. Mine still hasn't despite being ordered much earlier and being produced earlier on August 30th / October 8th respectively.

Sorry to hear that you are now officially out, Gamma

I suspect that you will not be alone, though.

I am also thinking of pulling out of my order. (Ordered July 14th....stuck in TBD/Awaiting Shipment +....1.6L Recall)

Be sure to come back and let us know how you enjoy the new VW!

Good luck,

I'm loving it. Should have driven it instead of the Jetta in the summer. It suits me very well. Again, the exterior is not as sexy as the Fusion, but it's much better in person than the marketing photos, IMO. The interior is as practical and functional as you'd expect from a German car and it is definitely quite a step-up from the older VWs.

First 20.7 mile run down the interstate (including getting on and off) netted exactly 45.0 mpg and in these parts we do not have long, flat straight highways. It's up, down and around.

So yeah, not nearly as disappointed with going in this direction as I would have thought a month ago. Very happy with it.

And this is not in anyway meant to demean the Fusion one bit. The VW TDI isn't for everyone.

Edited by GammaRae

It is the same thing we were talking about, actually has nothing to do with overheating. Apparently the batch of headlights weren't cured properly during the manufacturing process, and the heat from the bulbs can cause some hazing of the lens, which may reduce visibility. Not as serious as it's made out to be.

Ha and you got your VW Passat just like that!? What's it been like two days? I've ordered from Ford MONTHS ago and still nothing...

Different strokes for different folks...........I'll have to admit if I hadn't stumbled on a Titanium in the color I wanted on the dealer lot I'd likely be driving one myself. It's a good choice, car of the year in 2012 & best mid-size in 2012-2013 (MotorTrend) = not too shabby.