Navigation - yes or no

Pers69

When nav first came out in cars, it was a $1000-$2000 option. I couldn't afford a new car, let alone one with nav. 10-15 years later, I got my first Garmin, a Nuvi 350. Portable, I could take it on walks or use it in my car. Plays music, stores photo albums. A few years back, I got a Nuvi 765. Bigger screen, with lifetime life traffic updates. Couple years back, I got my android, with real satellitte images. Voice search for destinations and phone numbers. So no, I don't need one in the car, I could just use my phone. But I wanted to at least once get a car with one in the dash. I do use nav to help me get around to new locations and it has been very helpful. The one in the Fusion has a large screen and gets the job done, but the graphics are about equal to my 350 of years ago. But to me it's still worth it. Everyone has their own price/value level.

First consider that you have lots of options how to get directions:

• If you have a smartphone it probably has navigation and I've read it can speak the directions via the Sync system
  • The Sync services offer navigation with turn-by-turn directions
  • Standalone unit
  • The build-in unit

Standalone unit's are cheap and have lots of features, usually more than your build-in unit. Map updates are reasonably prices. However as turbo923 said - they are cumbersome to handle. Also people may break your window to snatch the unit. Which is sad 'cause it costs less than a new window.

Maps on smartphones are also quite economical choice. On iPhone the Garmin and Navteq offerings are in the $30-$80 range. There are also free maps. So the issue is finding one that works for you and making it work via the sync system, If you decide to go that route you should probably experiment at the dealership if you are comfortable with it.

I'm not familiar with the navigation offered by sync services - it requires a subscription of some sort. I think it also requires the "Technology" package, but I'm not 100% sure. Best ask the dealer.

For me the build-in unit offers the most convenience. The only huge drawback is that updating the maps on these things costs and arm and a leg - usually in the $150-$200 range per update depending on the car.

Now that you can get a large touch screen without navigation, it really comes down to the convenience of having it built in and always available and the integration into the vehicle with voice commands, etc. A smartphone app is probably the cheapest (assuming you already own a smartphone). Portable units are great if you switch vehicles a lot and for rental cars.

I have a portable unit, well actually two. But, I chose to buy it built in for the convenience of having it there, and not having to worry about charging cords and suction cups on the windshield. I don't use navigation very much, but it's a great feature to have included for when you do need it. I can now designate the portable unit to my 1988 for summer road trips, car tours and other lengthy travelling.

• Like 1

My wife and I both have navigation in our cars.

I thought they would be best around town, but I find they are most useful on a long road trip, set your destination and drive!

You never miss a turn and if you do the nav will reroute you back to the proper highway.

I was an avid map reader before and now seldom use one.

Get the nav in the vehicle!!

Carrying a handheld is a pain, you have to mount it, hide it each time you get out of the car or risk having your car broken into and stolen.

I would never purchase a car that is to be my primary vehicle without navigation installed.

Just my two cents........

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 2

I will continue to use my phone and I'll probably grab that Scout app so that I can display the directions on the screen. I personally do not think the $800 is worth it, but I can see why others would want it for ease of use and simplicity.

What is the scout app? Do you mean there is a way to display the iPhone's screen on the fusion's touchscreen like AirPlay?

I got the navigation system in my fusion simply to have the larger screen for maps. I'd probably dump my ford sync and built in navigation in a heartbeat for the tomtom or apple maps which I already have, if I could scale up and display the iPhone to the built in screen. If someone made an iPad quality screen that retained the other fusion functions like backup camera and climate control and such I'd swap out and upgrade in a heartbeat.

I've usually used my phone for navigation in the past, but for about $700 on X-plan, the built-in Nav option seemed like it would be worth it. Using a phone can be annoying because you have to find someplace to put it so you can see the screen, and if your car doesn't have bluetooth, you have to keep your music turned down so you can hear the voice prompts.

deadman64 posted this link a while back, this is a demonstration of the Scout app:

$25/yr (not per month like some have reported). It looks like a solid app and it will display everything on the 8" touchscreen in the center. I do not believe it will show up in the 4" screen though. To me that's not a big deal, I'm fine with it just being on the main screen.

I actually just went ahead and bought it. I'm going to try it out just on my phone first so I can get used to it.

Edited by Camride

Just went to telenav's site, seems scout is built in to MFT already:

"Telenav provides three navigation products — beamed-in (SYNC Services), brought-in (Ford SYNC AppLink) and built-in (MyFord Ford Touch) — to Ford Motor Company. The collaboration between Ford and Telenav delivers high-quality, user-friendly experiences that are touted by technologists and consumers alike."

Just went to telenav's site, seems scout is built in to MFT already:

"Telenav provides three navigation products — beamed-in (SYNC Services), brought-in (Ford SYNC AppLink) and built-in (MyFord Ford Touch) — to Ford Motor Company. The collaboration between Ford and Telenav delivers high-quality, user-friendly experiences that are touted by technologists and consumers alike."

That's interesting... I wonder if the Nav you buy from Ford for $800 is built by Telenav? Either way, I'm much happier spending $25/year on the phone app than $800 on the integrated Nav.

That's interesting... I wonder if the Nav you buy from Ford for $800 is built by Telenav? Either way, I'm much happier spending $25/year on the phone app than $800 on the integrated Nav.

The maps you buy for $795 is also made by Telenav (or whoever their parent company is), so I think that's why they also offer this partnered with Ford.

Some important things to note: if your an iPhone user, the SCOUT APP is currently not supported. I posted on the support website and they say they have "no information and no plans" for applink with scout to be supported on iPhone. Seems to work on Android ok though (from what I see on youtube).

If you didn't get the maps option upfront the scout app is the way to go.

I called my dealer right before my order got accepted and got the Navigation added. I was concerned the scout app would never be supported on iPhone and I was worried with every iOS/iPhone update it would break compatibility and then I'd have to wait for Ford to support the latest iPhone release. I didn't think they would keep up fast enough.

But speaking on the $795 navigation upgrade, its pretty awesome. It's obviously integrated with voice, etc. but it also has the real time traffic (not sure if this is only for a limited time?) and when I set a destination it started with the fastest route but then let me know that a part of the route was undergoing construction/delays so it advised a new route. Pretty cool, although I think smartphones can also do this. I'm personally glad I got it (although it was a tough choice for me). I really wanted to utilize all the screens I paid for that came with MFT.

But speaking on the $795 navigation upgrade, its pretty awesome. It's obviously integrated with voice, etc. but it also has the real time traffic (not sure if this is only for a limited time?) and when I set a destination it started with the fastest route but then let me know that a part of the route was undergoing construction/delays so it advised a new route. Pretty cool, although I think smartphones can also do this. I'm personally glad I got it (although it was a tough choice for me). I really wanted to utilize all the screens I paid for that came with MFT.

The traffic feature is linked with Satellite Radio. If you don't renew the 6 months subscription you will loose the real time traffic.

I have had factory NAV in my last 4 cars. Didn't order it on my FFH. IMO $800 is alot of money

for me to spend on a feature I only use about once a month. Ya, it's cool to have the built in NAV

and not have to deal with putting up my Garmin or phone dock but from my experience the actual navigation

on the Garmins or the free google map app on my Galaxy S3 work just as good or better than factory.

The other plus is that upgrading the software is soooo much cheaper than factory. Not sure about the

Ford Nav but the last time I updated my Honda NAV software was >$250 (more than I paid totally for my

Garmin or S3).