2013 Fusion - Getting Tint

nmadole

Guest auser99
Looks really sharp. That's the sterling gray? That's what I ordered. Really like the look. I may go as low as 25%, which is the legal limit in TX

Thanks. Yep, its Sterling Gray. I love that color. I didn't want to risk going down to 25%, the black interior already makes the 35% look illegal.

When you guys write about a percentage of tint, is that the amount of light blocked or the amount let through?

I just checked NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law and it states, "No person shall operate any motor vehicle...covered by or treated by any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent...". It is the same percentage for all windows.

So it seems New York State is much more restrictive than other states. I'll have to investigate to determine if it is worth getting the windows tinted at all if I can only go to 70%.

I am in NY and just did mine at 35% all around (except for the front of course). Looks great. I would call it "respectfully tinted". :-) Here's hoping I don't get stopped too many times.

One of the guys at the place I did the tinting from did his at 5% all around. I asked him how many times, if ever he was pulled over. He said 3 times in 5 years. Of course, he then said his Dad was a cop, so he got off every time.

I think you are reading the rule backwards...the 70% in the rule should equate to 30% tint...but I will leave that to you to sort out...here are some pics of mine with 35% n the sides and 20% in the back...the legal limit here in WA state...

By the way, if you are concerned, just ask the local tint shop to tell you what the legal limit is...they know for sure. Then you can decide if you want to risk it and try anything darker. For my money, i would not go darker than what I have...it is an excellent blend of privacy and visibility...imho

8235173917_b6d3f73749.jpg
image by texastenor, on Flickr

8235174069_df02d38d7f.jpg

8235173965_a4c64997d0.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On the bottom right side of the windows, they say 70% on them which means they let 70% of the light through. That is pretty much standard on all cars. It isn't much tint at all. 20% means that 20% of the light gets through. I just had 20% tint installed on my Fusion and it is pretty dark. It is technically illegal in PA but I will take my chances. Never had any issues with my previous TL and I drive more conservatively now.

When you guys write about a percentage of tint, is that the amount of light blocked or the amount let through? I just checked NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law and it states, "No person shall operate any motor vehicle...covered by or treated by any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent...". It is the same percentage for all windows.

I know this is old, but I think you just got your car. As someone who did this for a living up until a year ago, the "light transmittance" in New York being at 70% means it has to allow 70 through, as other posters indicate. I can also tell you that a meter applied to my current FFH comes out right at 70% with NO tint. Most factory windows today are right at 70%, meaning you can't add any without being in violation.

Something else you should/can consider is how this is handled where you live. MOST LE in New York only will bother cars that are distinctively dark. (not all, obviously). Also, there is an opinion from the courts that says that you can't be found guilty unless they actually measure with a meter, unless somehow the officer can establish himself as an expert witness on tinting. (Which wouldn't actually be hard to do). That being said, the officers will not likely write the ticket unless they have a meter, and since they are about $200, you won't find one in every police car.

Lastly, don't forget the dark tint would be probable cause for a stop regardless if they were going to write the ticket. Me being an otherwise law abiding citizen, that isn't an issue. For some people, it is. :shift:

I would REALLY like to get light tint on mine when it comes in, but I am a "chronic rule follower" (so I have been told), so no tint for me.

I did a little more digging on the codes on the windows. What I learned is the following:

AS1 - clear - always found on the windshield and sometimes elsewhere

AS2 - 70% or greater light transmittance. Usually found on all windows forward of the C Pillar.

AS3 - less that 70% light transmittance. May be used on windows aft of the C Pillar.

There are other AS ratings in the ANSI standard, but they aren't usually used on motor vehicles.

Also, for cars with a tinted band on the top of the windshield, there has to be a vertical line where the dark tint officially stops, with an indicator of the AS rating and an arrow. So what this comes down to is if your car has AS2 windows and your state law is 70%, you can't legally tint them at all.

In HyTiFusions case, you could add light tint so that both combined don't go over the limit, but I agree, sounds like a pain.

And FYI - every car I've looked at made in the past many years has AS2 windows at least for every window except the windshield. I think you'd only find clear side and back windows on old cars.

Edited by jcg1005

I am so pissed, tint guy did a terrible job on my car.. scratches in the tint, uneven rear window lines... What should I do? He did so bad I dont even want him to fix it....

nmadole...who did your tint originally? My platinum white is due in next week and I just spoke to Love Your Car about tinting my windows...just want to make sure this isn't who you had a negative experience with.

Thanks to all for posting the pics it's help me decide which tint to go with. I'm thinking the 35% as I don't want it to looked pimped out just a nice classy tinted look.

nmadole...who did your tint originally? My platinum white is due in next week and I just spoke to Love Your Car about tinting my windows...just want to make sure this isn't who you had a negative experience with.

Thanks to all for posting the pics it's help me decide which tint to go with. I'm thinking the 35% as I don't want it to looked pimped out just a nice classy tinted look.

I went to solar solutions orginally, it was terrible!!!!!! I got a quote from Love Your Car, but it was over 100$ more than the place I trust in Grand Rapids (Extreme Car Audio on 28th street).... I was going to GR anyways so I had extreme car audio do it (Took them 1 hour and 45 minutes) for alot less money :)

Congrats on the new car

I went to solar solutions orginally, it was terrible!!!!!! I got a quote from Love Your Car, but it was over 100$ more than the place I trust in Grand Rapids (Extreme Car Audio on 28th street).... I was going to GR anyways so I had extreme car audio do it (Took them 1 hour and 45 minutes) for alot less money :)

Congrats on the new car

Hmmmm....interesting. They quoted me $216 (rear, 2 back, and partial on front sides) which I didn't think was too bad. I'm originally from Wyoming and still have family down there so I could check into Extreme as well. Thanks for the info. I ordered the 1.6 ecoboost manual...can't wait to get it! Your car looks sharp. I test drove a black one and it is sweet looking. I currently have a black Pathfinder so I was looking to do something different thus the metallic white. I love dark windows on a dark vehicle. My Pathfinder has dark rear windows. But I'm a little afraid of going too dark on a pearl white car.

Hmmmm....interesting. They quoted me $216 (rear, 2 back, and partial on front sides) which I didn't think was too bad. I'm originally from Wyoming and still have family down there so I could check into Extreme as well. Thanks for the info. I ordered the 1.6 ecoboost manual...can't wait to get it! Your car looks sharp. I test drove a black one and it is sweet looking. I currently have a black Pathfinder so I was looking to do something different thus the metallic white. I love dark windows on a dark vehicle. My Pathfinder has dark rear windows. But I'm a little afraid of going too dark on a pearl white car.

WTF... Love Your Car quoted me over 300$ back in November!!! I think Xtreme was 219$

I'd certainly stick to the law, but just because you can't legally add tint to the windshield doesn't mean you can't add it to the sides and rear. You basically want to keep out light that makes the interior hot and stresses the AC, so putting it in those places may help a lot, especially on the large rear window. There's a beautiful summary of the laws for each state here.

I just had my car tinted with Huper Optik ceramic tint and I like it. This tint actually blocks more heat but let's in more visible light so it isn't as dark as some other tints. I also talked to them about doing the windshield. Apparently 3M crystalline 90 is legal on the windshield. They said they also do a lot of 3M crystalline 70 which is illegal because it blocks too much light. They said though that because it is essentially clear that it is hard to tell it is even tinted and cops usually don't mess with it. They said its usually only a problem if they check it with a meter in vehicle inspections.

I just had my car tinted with Huper Optik ceramic tint and I like it. This tint actually blocks more heat but let's in more visible light so it isn't as dark as some other tints. I also talked to them about doing the windshield. Apparently 3M crystalline 90 is legal on the windshield. They said they also do a lot of 3M crystalline 70 which is illegal because it blocks too much light. They said though that because it is essentially clear that it is hard to tell it is even tinted and cops usually don't mess with it. They said its usually only a problem if they check it with a meter in vehicle inspections.

Do you mind sharing where you went and the cost? I'm over in Dallas and looking for a good shop based on referral.