My MPG Tracking Blog

nmadole

I did not say anything about cold weather for a reason... The ford rep said the fuel ALONE will cause an expected 6-8 MPG loss which I think is crazy plus more for the cold temp. She said even in warmer temps the fuel blend will reduced your mpg by 6-8 mpg ... This coming from the regional customer service manager of Michigan

I understand but I think it's just semantics. You can't get winter blend fuel without also getting colder temps at the same time (generally speaking).

This is just my $0.02 and on this subject that may be a high estimate of the value. Winter blend relates to season. Ethanol content is dictated by EPA policies. Sticker mileage is also dictated by the EPA. To paraphrase: You will perform a test following these rules, using this procedure and this fuel and you will post the results and will mention that mileage will vary. Yes Ford may have been able to "game" the tests, but result of your operating the car in ANY manner OR conditions other than the test dictates means...........YMMV. The stickers are for comparison only. Are some cars screwed up? Yes they are. Are all of the cars ripping us off HELL NO.

• Like 1

I give up. You're right and everyone else is wrong. You obviously won't accept any other rational explanation.

I am trying to tell you what Ford is telling me, I think it's bullshit also...

I am not dumb, I understand there are ALOT of factors that effect milage... I am trying to point out that Ford is making up excuses that simply do not jive...

I do not think your wrong, I am trying to point out the facts as there were presented to me. I do apoligize if I came of a brash

Edited by nmadole

I am trying to tell you what Ford is telling me, I think it's bullshit also...

I am not dumb, I understand there are ALOT of factors that effect milage... I am trying to point out that Ford is making up excuses that simply do not jive...

I do not think your wrong, I am trying to point out the facts as there were presented to me. I do apoligize if I came of a brash

And I think most everyone understands that you don't put too much faith in what a customer service rep says (from any company). I agree there should be better information and a more detailed explanation of what to expect and why.

There has to be something wrong with your car. I'm sorry to hear this, but you must have a lemon. Your mileage just doesn't make sense...

I had a fuel economy test done by the ford dealership. The regional customer service rep. Said that my car is showing "normal" mpg for cars in the winter months.... Ford sent me an email saying nothing is wrong .... Email is posted on my blog

I had a fuel economy test done by the ford dealership. The regional customer service rep. Said that my car is showing "normal" mpg for cars in the winter months.... Ford sent me an email saying nothing is wrong .... Email is posted on my blog

I've been getting 42mpg with the temperature between 5 - 10 degrees Farenheit this past week. What was the temperature during your 37mpg best case scenario?

I've been getting 42mpg with the temperature between 5 - 10 degrees Farenheit this past week. What was the temperature during your 37mpg best case scenario?

I was getting between 35 and 40 when the temps were around 30F. Since we dropped to between 5-15F, I've dropped to around 30-35mpg. I'm on my 2nd tank full, with an avg 33.5. It's better than the 24-26 avg over 12 years on my non hybrid Monty but I was sold on this car by the 47 mpg. If I don't start getting that in the summer I will be very disappointed.

• Like 1

I was getting between 35 and 40 when the temps were around 30F. Since we dropped to between 5-15F, I've dropped to around 30-35mpg. I'm on my 2nd tank full, with an avg 33.5. It's better than the 24-26 avg over 12 years on my non hybrid Monty but I was sold on this car by the 47 mpg. If I don't start getting that in the summer I will be very disappointed.

Do you drive exactly like the EPA test cycle?

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what I can get with my Fusion Hybrid (ordered it 12/8) but before that I had an 2008 Altima (Sandy subsequently pissed on it). It was rated 35 city/33hwy but I often averaged 38-40 on the way to work in the morning going 25-30 miles, mostly on highways (and 30-35 going a lot faster on the way home). I had that car for almost 5 years. Lots of Hybrid practice.

I've learned to consider the sticker MPG as worst case scenario because I often got better with my Altima, especially in bad weather when you're going slower and EV mode can kick in more often.

• 1 month later...

I will be resuming my MPG Blog after a 1.5 month hiatus... I have still been getting the same terrible MPG (around 30MPG). The weather is now getting into the 40's so I have been driving without my heat on and my MPG is going up to around 33-35MPG... I will start posting my daily trips starting again tonight.

• 1 month later...
I will be resuming my MPG Blog after a 1.5 month hiatus... I have still been getting the same terrible MPG (around 30MPG). The weather is now getting into the 40's so I have been driving without my heat on and my MPG is going up to around 33-35MPG... I will start posting my daily trips starting again tonight.

I have to say, I agree that something MUST be wrong. I have 2,500 on the 1.6L Manual and my lifetime MPG is at 35 and depending on how fast (duh) I go on the highway I can easily get an average of 47MPG for an entire tank of Fuel. My lifetime would be better if I didn't live on a twisty road with no traffic... ;) I am up North in NH with Winter fuel and cold weather until recently. Not a hypermiler either.