Diesels (any) ?

mtberman

• 2 weeks later...
2015 F150 is slated to get a diesel I'm at DTP and rumors are flying.

I would love to have a F150 4x4 diesel. That makes so much sense it's not funny. I know guys that feel that the F250 is overkill for what they need but really want the diesel. Any guesses to what the mpg would be?

I'm sure the BIG 3 bean counters have a thousand reasons why they can't sell diesel in the US

Funny that when the cord was cut from Mazda BOOM diesel on the way.

We're ready to trade our MKX, might wait for the Mazda.

We wont but I bet the BIG 3 lose sales when it gets here!

ab

Diesels in the US have been rendered irrelevant for non-commercial use by a combination of modifications required to meet tighter emissions standards which has lead to lower efficiency along with high fuel prices when compared to gas. The extra vehicle purchase price associated with a diesel engine also limits its practicality for non-commercial use. In the F-150 the V-6 EcoBoost makes more sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I too appreciate a good diesel. Is a compression engine, just seems natural to turbocharge, all else being equal 30% more efficient (more BTU in diesel than benzine (gas). Great everyday performance with direct injection and turbocharger. Emission controls have been somewhat of a challenge, now have bluetec and similar means to meet requirements. Time will tell, but I feel a 2 liter diesel in a small car... scale up appropriately for lite truck and SUV. Is a better option than gas or hybrid (except dense urban areas).

What is in the way?

Cost of diesel, fuel tax structure plays a lot into this. Some states have eliminated fuel taxes and are going to a straight sales tax, if this is flat tax... diesel should be more affordable. Current refining process yields less diesel, this is a half truth. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/oil-refining5.htmhttp://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/oil-refining5.htm

If we did not go to extraordinary measures to squeeze every drop of gasoline from a barrel of oil, we would likely have more diesel, and possibly lower price. With some movement of the trucking fleet moving to natural gas, this may lessen demand for diesel... more supply

Emissions: not so much of a problem, we have low sulfur diesel in the US now, so higher efficiency diesels are available, to meet the emissions, add a little urea to a tank. Or look at soon to be released (US) Mazda 6 diesel, no urea needed to meet emissions also a timing chain, no belt replacement every 60K

Diesel engine cost: ok, not cheap, but still a better deal than the cost and complexity of a hybrid. Also well built engine... lasts, adds to residual value, and overall life of the auto.

Diesel engine cost: ok, not cheap, but still a better deal than the cost and complexity of a hybrid. Also well built engine... lasts, adds to residual value, and overall life of the auto.

Why are you arguing about life of the engine when a gas engine can go 150K miles (15K a year over 10 years) without a major failure? After 10 years, the value of the car or truck is going to be so low that its pointless to argue this...Not many people keep cars more than 10 years if they can...because everything else on them starts crapping out on them.

Why are you arguing about life of the engine when a gas engine can go 150K miles (15K a year over 10 years) without a major failure? After 10 years, the value of the car or truck is going to be so low that its pointless to argue this...Not many people keep cars more than 10 years if they can...because everything else on them starts crapping out on them.

While I agree with you for the most part, you should try checking prices on diesel trucks with 150k miles. It's crazy what people get for diesel trucks with bunches of miles...

• 3 weeks later...

Value of Diesels, I can not state how all models hold their value. For Jetta TDI's they hold their value better than any other vehicle in their segment, well after 100,000 miles.. Insurance company recommended that I get liability only, then they checked the value of the vehicle and changed their mind. My Jetta is being passed to my son, will likely go 300,000 or 400,000 miles. Yes some parts do fail, but their seems to be a plethora of VW A4 platform vehicles that have met an early demise (accidents). So many good miscellaneous parts are easily available. I expect Mazda 6 diesel to hold value as well. Trucks are a different beast, have not been able to buy mid size SUV... although a Jeep may be in my future. Hope you all have a great week.

• 2 months later...
Not sure of timing, but Nissan is set to launch a diesel in their pickups.Supposed to be the 5.0L V8 Cummins that was developed for the Dodge 1500 RAM. If true, this should shake up the market.

I think Ram's EcoDiesel will prove out to be a better diesel for 1/2 tons than the 5.0L Nissan is going to use from Cummins. I think that's why Ram passed on it. From what I can tell is that's too big for 1/2 tons and and too small for 3/4 or 1 tons. But I guess we'll see. If they both do well, Ford has a couple of diesels they could stick in the F150, the 3.2L I5 and the 4.4L V8.

If the Mustang gets a diesel option, it's likely to be only available in Europe.

Doesn't that sort of go against the OneFord plan?

I know people in the states that would consider a diesel Mustang.

I'd like to see them eliminate as much differentiation as possible across regions.

Doesn't that sort of go against the OneFord plan?

No, One Ford doesn't mean that everything will be the exact same everywhere, nor does it mean that all engines will be offered in all regions. You still

I know people in the states that would consider a diesel Mustang.

And if half of those 10 people in the states that would consider a diesel Mustang actually buy one, that's 5 sales. Do you realize how much it cost to certify an engine for emissions? Do you know how much it costs to make a diesel engine meet emissions compliance? I don't, but I do know this: it takes a lot of sales to pay for those costs!

I'd like to see them eliminate as much differentiation as possible across regions.

I think that is Ford's plan, but there still has to be difference across regions to fit with the desires of each area. For instance, Europeans like diesels, American's don't (typically), and emissions are stricter for diesels here in the US, so it costs a lot to meet those regs. Not to mention, in EU, diesel is cheaper than gas, whereas here in the US, it's more expensive.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...