Hybrid mileage so far

elle

Pretty early yet to be thinking about mileage, but I'm definitely learning more about coaxing mpg out of the Fusion. Whoever drove it around before I did must have really had a heavy foot, because the average on it when I got it at about 20 miles in was horrible, and that was really my only concern about the car. Today, however, I switched active cruise control over to eco mode, and was able to get 40mpg during the last trip. Not stellar, but I will take it. It's certainly no worse than my Prius was.

I also still think I have room for improvement, so we'll see. This car is an adventure, for sure. Very happy so far.

Keep in mind that you wont realize the true gas mileage until you have 2-3k miles on the car. Even the owner's manual warns against calculating it for the first 1k miles due to "break in".

If you're getting 40mpg with a couple hundred miles on the odometer, I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

Those initial tens of miles might affect your "lifetime average" for a surprisingly long time, even though they are otherwise irrelevant.

I picked my '11 FFH with 78 miles and a lifetime mpg of 13-14.

I reset one of the counters (the "average mpg") at around mile 100. And kept that for a while to track "my" lifetime mpg with the car.

They only converged somewhere between miles 5000 and 10000.

Similarly with the new one - picked up with 22 miles and lifetime mpg 13-14.

This time I reset the counter immediately, at the dealer.

1000 miles later, the "average" mpg(i..e. since I picked up the car) is 39.2. The "lifetime" is still catching up at 37.4

So you can do that (or dedicate one of the trip computers) if at all interested in have an easy way look at "your" lieftime average with the car, in the first few k miles.

More importantly, you seem to be off to a great start, so enjoy the car!

I know am enjoying mine. Somehow I've been piling up miles quicker than usual :-)

• Like 1

More importantly, you seem to be off to a great start, so enjoy the car!

I know am enjoying mine. Somehow I've been piling up miles quicker than usual :-)

Ha, I know what you mean. My husband and I went out for a spin last night -- we just put jackets over our pajamas and off we went. No particular place to go, we both just wanted to experience the car one more time before we went to bed :) I'm sure the novelty will wear off but we'll enjoy it while we have it!

• Like 2

When i took delivery of mine, there was 7 miles on the car (2-3 of them were mine ), and the avg was just under 8 mpg :-O lol

Mine came with 25 miles on it. I wonder if they went to the drive-in movie in Mexico. The lifetime mileage at that time was 11 mpg.

Jackets over your PJs to go for a ride....I love it.

Edited by hermans

Keep in mind that you wont realize the true gas mileage until you have 2-3k miles on the car. Even the owner's manual warns against calculating it for the first 1k miles due to "break in".

I keep hearing this but really think its a myth. Just like the many myths in the audio world. I am 4K in with my fusion and I am getting no better mileage than the very first mile i drove. Still averaging around 18.5 mpg. In fact its gotten a little worse lately. I have heard a million excuses, but bottom line is my thinks ford fudged the numbers. How does a 4 cylinder family car only manage 18.5 mpg???

I keep hearing this but really think its a myth. Just like the many myths in the audio world. I am 4K in with my fusion and I am getting no better mileage than the very first mile i drove. Still averaging around 18.5 mpg. In fact its gotten a little worse lately. I have heard a million excuses, but bottom line is my thinks ford fudged the numbers. How does a 4 cylinder family car only manage 18.5 mpg???

I still think your car is a lemon. Not that they're all getting the mileage advertised, but yours is really falling short of expectations :( I feel bad for you.

I think hey may have been talking about hybrid. Surely you're not getting 18.5 on the hybrid engine, are you? If so, that's definitely a lemon.

Ha, I know what you mean. My husband and I went out for a spin last night -- we just put jackets over our pajamas and off we went. No particular place to go, we both just wanted to experience the car one more time before we went to bed :) I'm sure the novelty will wear off but we'll enjoy it while we have it!

Don't count on it wearing off.........a couple months in & still look forward to getting into the car in the morning. Especially with the crappy weather we've had - like a cocoon - heated seats, auto climate, comfortable seats, quiet ride.................... :hysterical:

• Like 1

Yeah I really hope you are NOT talking about a hybrid with the figure of 18.5. My MPG is very good as is the case for many others, so if yours is really that bad I have to think there's something wrong with your car.

I had to keep driving my '10 for longer than desired waiting on my '13 delivery and they act very much the same in my driving:

Retired so mostly short local trips with a couple drives over 20 miles since delivery.

Cold weather

Winter gas blend

Both cars provided trips <20mpg and both achieved their EPA figures on other trips.

I expect this particular FFH to work as advertised.

Most recent trip was 43.6, so still not bad. I'm stil sorting out what works and what doesn't, but it's slowly getting up there.

if you're getting 43.6mpg now you shouldn't have any issues once the weather warms up and the winter gas has been changed.

Edited by JSKershaw

I think hey may have been talking about hybrid. Surely you're not getting 18.5 on the hybrid engine, are you? If so, that's definitely a lemon.

Marjen has the 2.0L Ecoboost, not a hybrid.

I haven't been terribly impressed with my mileage either, but it's not as bad as marjen's:

163656.png

That's ~60% highway (70-75mph). That is with me trying relatively hard to get good mileage, including lots of coasting. I got similar mileage out of my poorly tuned (extremely rich) 1.8L turbo Audi (bigger turbo, bigger injectors, front mount intercooler, blah blah blah).

Marjen has the 2.0L Ecoboost, not a hybrid.

I haven't been terribly impressed with my mileage either, but it's not as bad as marjen's:

That's ~60% highway (70-75mph). That is with me trying relatively hard to get good mileage, including lots of coasting. I got similar mileage out of my poorly tuned (extremely rich) 1.8L turbo Audi (bigger turbo, bigger injectors, front mount intercooler, blah blah blah).

Past couple of tanks I've been getting 22.5+ on my 2.0 ecoboost. You have AWD? 19s? I'm wondering if they would really make that much of a difference in the end....

Until my Fusion Hybrid comes I'll be driving a Prius. Last night I was able to get about 5.1 L/ 100 KM (55 MPG) with relative ease... From the numbers I've seen online here 55 MPG isn't likely hopefully I can hit at least 45 MPG :)

I think you're using the UK Imperial MPG figures to get 55MPG. 5.1L/100km is actually 46 MPG US

The projected fuel economy on these cars in Canada doesn't seem achievable from what people are posting here. The figures for Canada is 4.0L/100km City and 4.1L/100km Hwy which converted to US MPG = 58.8 MPG city and 57MPG Hwy. Only time will tell...

I think you're using the UK Imperial MPG figures to get 55MPG. 5.1L/100km is actually 46 MPG US

The projected fuel economy on these cars in Canada doesn't seem achievable from what people are posting here. The figures for Canada is 4.0L/100km City and 4.1L/100km Hwy which converted to US MPG = 58.8 MPG city and 57MPG Hwy. Only time will tell...

Just remember the cold weather tends to put a real damper on things... I am one of those getting very good MPG, and a couple days last week it was a bit warmer in the morning so my commute was 48 and 49MPG... this morning was 20F (not what you would call cold, but colder than I had last week when we had a nice warm spell or 45-50F), and instead of 48-49 I got 42MPG, which I think is about a 15% drop, same 60 mile route with same driving conditions/behavior.

Added: PM commute last Thursday (when it was 30 degrees warmer than today) was 52.2, today 45.7.

Edited by jeff_h

Just remember the cold weather tends to put a real damper on things... I am one of those getting very good MPG, and a couple days last week it was a bit warmer in the morning so my commute was 48 and 49MPG... this morning was 20F (not what you would call cold, but colder than I had last week when we had a nice warm spell or 45-50F), and instead of 48-49 I got 42MPG, which I think is about a 15% drop, same 60 mile route with same driving conditions/behavior.

Yeah, when the air warms up it reduces drag at highway speeds, and you don't run the heated seats etc. Around here where it almost never gets below 40 for a high (S.F. Bay Area) just the winter gas makes a 10% difference in MPG. I made a trip (S.F. to L.A.) in my V6 Mustang that I normally got 25mpg in summer, when the temperature was in around 30, on winter gas and got 18mpg driving 70-75mph. I almost ran out of gas as I hadn't ever gotten worse than 22mpg on the highway even in winter and hadn't expected to need fuel till I got to L.A. Just the cold made a huge difference.

Past couple of tanks I've been getting 22.5+ on my 2.0 ecoboost. You have AWD? 19s? I'm wondering if they would really make that much of a difference in the end....

I have neither, I'm FWD with the stock 18" wheels. I'm also in NC and whilte we've had some cold days it's mostly been in the 40-60 degree range with occasional 30 degree weather.