Did Ford show the next generation Edge in January Conference Powerpoint Slides?

It might be cheaper to send the inspectors to Hermosillo (but maybe not, depending on personnel and transport contracts), but that doesn't do as much to speed up production as shipping the cars off to Michigan. I'm betting their calculus was that it's better to have the MKZs awaiting final QC at an underutilized plant in Michigan rather than holding up an assembly line that's running at (or above) capacity trying to clear the backlog.

I think it comes down to having space to store the vehicles while they're awaiting inspection. Hermosillo was already backlogged from the Fusion fiasco and if you look at the satellite pictures there isn't a lot of extra space.

I think it comes down to having space to store the vehicles while they're awaiting inspection. Hermosillo was already backlogged from the Fusion fiasco and if you look at the satellite pictures there isn't a lot of extra space.

That's (part of) what I was getting at--it eases the flow if you just take the car off the line and roll it onto a train, then do the final QC at another plant, not only because that's less time the car is on the line but also because it opens up more space in the holding lot for completed Fusions. I'm not sure that the MKZ production is a high enough percentage (compared to the Fusion) for the space recovered to be all that much, but I guess every slot counts when you're trying to make up for lost time.

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to the CD4 Edge, I have a hunch that it will be like comparing the Mazda CX-7 to the Ford Edge, they are similar sizes and widths but the Edge

is a lot heavier vehicle, I have a feeling that the next CD4 Edge will have a significant weight reduction enabling greater use of the 2.0 Ecoboost engine...

Edited by jpd80

With regards to the CD4 Edge, I have a hunch that it will be like comparing the Mazda CX-7 to the Ford Edge, they are similar sizes and widths but the Edge

is a lot heavier vehicle, I have a feeling that the next CD4 Edge will have a significant weight reduction enabling greater use of the 2.0 Ecoboost engine...

They won't be making that comparison anymore. The CX-7 is gone. The CX-5 is the new CUV and I believe it is more Escape sized as they don't have the Mazda Tribute anymore.

They won't be making that comparison anymore. The CX-7 is gone. The CX-5 is the new CUV and I believe it is more Escape sized as they don't have the Mazda Tribute anymore.

I know that, the comparison I was making was with the CD3S based Edge becoming a CD4 Edge which is on much lighter architecture.

As long as it doesn't result in the vehicle feeling lighter. One thing I really enjoy about my Edge is that it feels like it's put together like a bank vault. Everything about feels substantial.

As long as it doesn't result in the vehicle feeling lighter. One thing I really enjoy about my Edge is that it feels like it's put together like a bank vault. Everything about feels substantial.

Many complain about Fords being heavy, but that "bank vault" feel is worth it's weight in, well, weight. Our Flex is the same way, and it really gives the vehicle a much more isolated, "expensive-car" feeling that I really like.

I know what you mean, I had the pleasure of extensive seat time in a 2010 when last in the USA. My wife subsequently bought a CX-7 in Australia

as the Edge is not available here and so our memories of Ford's Mazda based product are still there... the similarity in feel is remarkable

but I do miss the 3.5 V6 and 6-speed auto, something I hope Ford continues in the next Edge, they can't all be EB I-4s....

Edited by jpd80

As somone posted earlier, the front does kinda look like the new Sant Fe. It looks nice, but I like the current Edge better because it stands out from others on the road.

With pixel print I have in my office, I know there isn't much you can tell except the obvious comparison to the Santa Fe. However, this is not the first Hyundai/Ford design paradox argument on the interwebs.

Edited by Hugh