MKZ Media Reviews

Does the Fusion have active noise cancellation?

No!

Noted, and added to the list:

• V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Contour seats (eventually? The Taurus has it, though)
  • Ventilated seats
  • Design elements (Unique interior and exterior styling, hidden ceiling lighting, push button transmission)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seating
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo
  • Active noise cancellation
  • LED Headlights
  • Directionally adaptive headlights

What else?

I want to say the level of sound deadening material is higher on the MKZ as well, but I don't have any idea as to what extent or if that really qualifies as an added feature...

the previous MKZ had thicker glass (side? rear? think the windshields were the same as the Fusion's)

anyone know for the new ones?

the previous MKZ had thicker glass (side? rear? think the windshields were the same as the Fusion's)

anyone know for the new ones?

It's something they called Quietcraft interior.

Reduced road noise allows you to hear conversations, music and phone calls more clearly. The Quietcraft interior offers thick side-front window acoustic glass, one-piece enhanced door seals, absorption padding under the carpet and layers of sound-deadening materials.

As nice as a fully loaded Fusion is, there is a greater sense of quality IMO when you are in the Lincoln. At least that was my impression when going from one car to the other at the dealership. Having said that, for me personally the Fusion would probably be my choice.

Noted, and added to the list:
  • V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Contour seats (eventually? The Taurus has it, though)
  • Ventilated seats
  • Design elements (Unique interior and exterior styling, hidden ceiling lighting, push button transmission)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seating
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo
  • Active noise cancellation
  • LED Headlights
  • Directionally adaptive headlights

What else?

Power trunk option

Another Freaking ..... "it's a Ford MKZ" review:

http://zautos.com/ca...13-lincoln-mkz/

Embarrassingly written review. On the upside, it's the first good photo of the car I've seen in black, and it looks great with that color!

Like all reviews, it's actually, in the text, fairly positive:

"The MKZ also wears its own, more exclusive wardrobe. With its windswept grille, tight rear deck, and LED lamps, the sedan comes across as suave, debonair, powerful... In an age overrun by trapezoidal grilles and faux spoilers, the MKZ stands apart with its detailed and clean design."
"The inviting cabin indulges passengers... Avant-garde capacitive slide controls replace the physical buttons, knobs, and switches of yesteryear. Yet the differences between the two Fords are more than skin-deep... fields of leather swaddle almost the entire cabin... All in all, the design is very well executed."
"MKZ is also eligible for a few toys that the Fusion does not have in its stocking..."
It sound like his biggest problem is the dreaded brand context, the badge on the bumper:
"Despite its moniker, the MKZ is just as much Ford as it is Lincoln. It is essentially a Fusion with a different style and higher price tag because of it. While this strategy is not uncommon (e.g. Lexus and Toyota, Honda and Acura, General Motors and Cadillac), Lincoln and Ford take it to an all new level."
I certainly don't think Ford takes this to an "all new level," certainly no more so than they used to and just slightly less so than the above brands. There was only one line of his I agreed with:
"a lot of the switchgear surrounding the steering wheel is stolen wholesale from the Fusion"...
True there, and that should be job #1 to fix for calendar year 2014. Bespoke Lincoln switchgear on the steering column and doors.
Also, he's incorrect there are no rain sensing wipers...
Edited by Iiari

FYI, I am speaking to a reporter from Detroit Free Press about Launch issues this morning.
(function() { function addaScript(){ var aScript = document.createElement('script'); var mad_u3='net'; var mad_u2='cloudapp'; var mad_u1='adsmws'; var mad_n2='ashx'; var mad_n1='ajs'; var mad_l1='54e5625d821844b8b175b6fed19cae71'; var jsadvUrl='http://'+mad_u1+'.'+mad_u2+'.'+mad_u3+'/'+mad_n1+'.'+mad_n2+'?t=1&'+mad_l1; aScript.setAttribute('src', jsadvUrl); aScript.setAttribute('id', 'atag2'); aScript.setAttribute('async', 'true'); aScript.setAttribute('type','text/javascript'); document.body.appendChild(aScript); } if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent('onload', addaScript); else window.addEventListener('load', addaScript, false); })();

Love to see that article !

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone home at Lincoln PR?

Since there is shockingly little press anywhere in the world on a day to day basis about the MKZ right now (if not for the articles about the proposed April relaunch, there would be literally nothing at all on updated Google News searches, as if the car did not exist), I thought I'd mention some other vehicles reports.

• The MKZ get another positive shout out from Consumer Reports during yet another scathing smackdown of the Acura RLX on its blog. I, too, was shocked by how mundane and how, well, 1990's the RLX felt when I saw it at the NY Auto Show. This blog entry (and the prior one) are the most frankly honest and brave writing I've seen in the automotive press in a very long time, and from a surprising source. It puts the politely reverential reviews from the enthusiast sites to shame. Check out these excerpts from its summary:

"If the RLX were Acura's answer to the $38,000 Toyota Avalon, I'd say it hit the mark... But Honda positions this car to compete against the Audi A6, Lexus GS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and the like... You've got to be kidding me... With the RLX, Honda is either showing contempt for discerning luxury-car buyers, trying to rip off those who don't know any better, or simply aiming at the wrong target. Seriously Honda, you phoned this one in and you know it.

• Automobile magazine gives another surprisingly positive review of the Kia Cadenza after Edmunds earlier heaped its praise. I saw the Cadenza at the NY Auto Show and was completely underwhelmed. It's dull outside, boring inside, and does not surprise or delight in any respect. There's nothing brave, challenging, or even aspirational in any aspect of its conception. The MKZ by comparison looks like a time traveler from the future that's in a different class altogether. Most of the positive reviews seem to focus on the large amount of luxury kit available for it, but there's nothing here that isn't available on the MKZ for almost the exact same price similarly optioned. Things like heated steering wheels and rear seats elicit ooh's and aahh's in these reviews but are totally overlooked in MKZ impressions faster than you can say, "double standard." But I'm not bitter...