Ford's 2015 Mustang Is Risky

mettech

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/03/29/fords-2015-mustang-is-risky.aspx

"...

Global or bust
The driver in me cringes when I imagine the style change that the Mustang would need to attract a much different European consumer. It just wouldn't be the same bold, iconic muscle car, because that strategy doesn't work outside of the U.S. market. It would likely take the muscle car and make it smaller and more modern -- the opposite of the retro look it has now. Ford also has to make sure its model isn't too different so that it can take back the sales lead in the U.S. market from GM's Camaro. If it goes with a more European style in its design, it risks losing even more ground. As an investor I cringe at the thought of alienating the cult following that the Mustang has had for decades.

I cringe even more at the idea of alienating both markets by creating something too big and inefficient for Europe, and too Euro-inspired for the U.S. market. Martin Smith, chief of Ford Europe design, admitted that the challenge represents a fine line to walk. "That is a really interesting challenge," Smith said at the Geneva auto show. "What will emerge from that whole process is one of the best sports cars in the world and one that is still affordable."

Evolution
The current retro look is appealing to the Baby Boomers and the Generation X crowd, but the millennials have taken to it less enthusiastically. I guess that makes me an oddity, but that's the market information Ford has collected and it has to act on it. If they ignore the millennial generation, they risk giving the Mustang a slow but sure death. The millennial generation will soon be the top-spending age group -- the 2015 Mustang will have the difficult job of attracting all three generations with its design..."

Here's the message that I just posted a few moments ago to the similar thread...

Actually, I'm surprised that it's taken Ford this long to take the Mustang global on a sales basis. Ford's totally messed up the design and marketing of other long established models (Thunderbird, Lincoln Mark, etc.) but they've done a pretty good and consistent job with the Mustang over the years. They fully understand it being an iconic model, with important market and marketing roles.

Sure the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang the past few years but consider the pent up demand for the Camaro which was shown at the car shows for nearly 5 years before the car finally went into production. Ford re-established the Mustang with the 1st next generation "Retro" version with the 2005 Model Year and has continued to refine the car further every year since. When Ford announced that the all-new next generation 2015 Mustang would be sold globally they stated that they would be getting away from the "Retro" styling in order to make the car more appealing to the global market. The market has changed and the buyer demographic along with it. As such, Ford's faced with the dilemma of recreating an iconic model that will appeal to a wider demographic and on a global basis.

Ford is not going to mess up with the 2015 Mustang. They'll provide the V6 & GT powertrains that are established and expected and add an EcoBoost option to help with the global markets as well as EPA and/or CAFE requirements. What's most important to anyone that understands and appreciates the Mustang's iconic status is that the next generation have enough styling clues to identify it as a Ford Mustang, no matter where it's seen!

It's time for an all-new, next generation Mustang that will move the model into the future, still be instantly recognizable as a Mustang and appeal to a wider audience!

• 1 month later...

The millennial generation is simple to understand - they are stat driven, Mustang is losing sales to the Camaro for one reason and one reason only; no IRS. Sure the first couple of years out the Camaro was going to win, but after that it came down to check boxes, and there is no "IRS" box to check for the current gen Mustang.

When the 2015 Mustang comes out with IRS, and a double wish bone front suspension (why not do it?) the stat checkers are going to start focusing on the push-rod V-8 under the hood of the Camaro, and that'll be the end of it...

Edited by meyeste

The millennial generation is simple to understand - they are stat driven, Mustang is losing sales to the Camaro for one reason and one reason only; no IRS. Sure the first couple of years out the Camaro was going to win, but after that it came down to check boxes, and there is no "IRS" box to check for the current gen Mustang.

More likely than the lack of IRS, I think people are just tired of the Mustang's design. Even with the refreshes, you're talking about the same fundamental car that will have been in production for 10 years when its replacement finally comes out.

When the 2015 Mustang comes out with IRS, and a double wish bone front suspension (why not do it?) the stat checkers are going to start focusing on the push-rod V-8 under the hood of the Camaro, and that'll be the end of it...

I would say there's a 98% chance that the MacPherson strut front suspension remains, and there's little reason to change it. It's easy to produce and it simplifies underhood packaging considerably. It's not like there are huge inherent weaknesses with the design if it's engineered properly. BMW continues to get away with it just fine.

As for the pushrods hurting the Camaro...if the efficiency and power is there, nobody will (or should) care what the valve configuration is.

Don't believe a word that there will be a:

4 cylinder?

6 cylinder?

8 cylinder?

I can buy into that. The rumor mill runs rampant everytime a new Mustang comes about. I will say this. Ford has sit on information like never before. They have done an excellent job of keeping all of us confused. lol I keep thinking if they can drop 200 lbs out of them the engines will stay the same and there may be a small turbo 4 in the lineup. But what 4 banger? And can you justify it over the 3.7. That is a pretty efficient engine to say the least especially in a light car. I cant figure how you could position the turbo 4 in the lineup unless its below the 3.7. What am I missing?

I can buy into that. The rumor mill runs rampant everytime a new Mustang comes about. I will say this. Ford has sit on information like never before. They have done an excellent job of keeping all of us confused. lol I keep thinking if they can drop 200 lbs out of them the engines will stay the same and there may be a small turbo 4 in the lineup. But what 4 banger? And can you justify it over the 3.7. That is a pretty efficient engine to say the least especially in a light car. I cant figure how you could position the turbo 4 in the lineup unless its below the 3.7. What am I missing?

I would guess the 4 banger would be the rumored 2.7EB. And "under the 3.7" depends on what metric you are using. I don't think the 2.7EB will quite match the 3.7 in HP. But in fuel economy and torque, I bet it'll best the 3.7.

And rumors are that there may be a small engine available for Europe that the Americans wouldn't like. So they may not even sell that engine here.

I would guess the 4 banger would be the rumored 2.7EB. And "under the 3.7" depends on what metric you are using. I don't think the 2.7EB will quite match the 3.7 in HP. But in fuel economy and torque, I bet it'll best the 3.7.

And rumors are that there may be a small engine available for Europe that the Americans wouldn't like. So they may not even sell that engine here.

Isn't the 2.7EB a V6? I would guess the 2.3EB will be the I4.

I keep thinking if they can drop 200 lbs out of them the engines will stay the same and there may be a small turbo 4 in the lineup. But what 4 banger? And can you justify it over the 3.7. That is a pretty efficient engine to say the least especially in a light car. I cant figure how you could position the turbo 4 in the lineup unless its below the 3.7. What am I missing?

Ford is already offering such a lineup in the Edge, and Lincoln is offering the same already in the MKZ. :shrug:

In both cases, the 3.7 is an upcharge over the EB.

Edited by NickF1011

Isn't the 2.7EB a V6? I would guess the 2.3EB will be the I4.

I could be wrong. Nothing has been released on it, so we're all guessing.

I would agree the new EB will be a price premium over the 3.7. But if it does return better FE and torque, it would be worth it to me. Not that I'm a potential Mustang buyer anyway.

I thought the rumored 2.7 Eb was a V6. :shrug: