GM Launching TWO New Mid Sized Pickups in 2014

FordBuyer

I'm confused - is this the new Colorado/Canyon imports? Or is this another truck in between those and the Silverado/Sierra?

Bigger than a Tacoma? What's the freakin' point? Sounds like another GM boondoggle in their neverending search to sell more vehicles than anyone else regardless of profit margin.

I'm confused - is this the new Colorado/Canyon imports? Or is this another truck in between those and the Silverado/Sierra?

Bigger than a Tacoma? What's the freakin' point? Sounds like another GM boondoggle in their neverending search to sell more vehicles than anyone else regardless of profit margin.

I don't know, but for a company that supposedly is going bankrupt again, they cetainly have lots of money to come out with 13 new or improved Chevy products this year alone, 8 new products for Cadillac over next couple years with 3 announced so far, and a slew of new products for Buick and GMC, two divisions that should have been shed. It really is hard to keep up with all that they have coming out. Simply amazing.

I don't know, but for a company that supposedly is going bankrupt again, they cetainly have lots of money to come out with 13 new or improved Chevy products this year alone, 8 new products for Cadillac over next couple years with 3 announced so far, and a slew of new products for Buick and GMC, two divisions that should have been shed. It really is hard to keep up with all that they have coming out. Simply amazing.

Just imagine how much better those new or improved products would be if they didn't have to keep reloading 4 brands.

Just imagine how much better those new or improved products would be if they didn't have to keep reloading 4 brands.

Phew, we finally agree on something. GM should have shed Buick and GMC here during the managed bankruptcy. And Ford with hindsight should have dumped Lincoln along with Mercury. Now we have Regal and LaCrosse floundering for sustainability, GMC is redundant offering projector headlights over Silverado and squared wheel openings on Terrain over Equinox, and Lincoln is a bigger basket case. Be consistent Nick...if it's bad for Buick, it's even worse for Lincoln with far worse sales and no sustainability either as in no chance to be Top Tier luxury company. So we will have Buick and Lincoln battling it out for irrelevance. Hmmmm...which do I like better...new MKZ or new Buick LaCrosse. Or which do I like better, new Enclave or new MKT. Such a hard decision.

And Ford with hindsight should have dumped Lincoln along with Mercury.

You can't possibly make an argument that Ford should dump Lincoln while in the same breath saying that GM is entirely justified in keeping Cadillac. They both are intended to fill the same roles to their parent companies. GM simply started before Ford did. If Lincoln isn't on its way to recovery after the current plan actually takes hold, then yes, maybe things should be reviewed, but geez. Enough. There's a limit to what Ford can accomplish with the Ford brand alone. Either Ford would have to decide to simply not go above that limit or continue to invest in a luxury brand in order to compete in that market. The Ford brand wasn't, won't, and can't do it itself. Or do you honestly think people would pay $50,000 for a Fusion?

Edited by NickF1011

I'm a little baffled by this:

“This is going to be a new truck — a new size of truck with a new set of powertrains in those trucks,” Reuss said. “It will be a little bigger than a Tacoma.”

The Toyota Tacomas I see aren't exactly small trucks. So these new GM "mid-size" trucks will be bigger than a Tacoma. That puts them uncomfortably close in size to the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra. Most people would probably spend the extra money to buy the Silverado or Sierra. Or else the new trucks will steal sales from the (more profitable) Silverado and Sierra.

I'm a little baffled by this:

“This is going to be a new truck — a new size of truck with a new set of powertrains in those trucks,” Reuss said. “It will be a little bigger than a Tacoma.”

The Toyota Tacomas I see aren't exactly small trucks. So these new GM "mid-size" trucks will be bigger than a Tacoma. That puts them uncomfortably close in size to the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra. Most people would probably spend the extra money to buy the Silverado or Sierra. Or else the new trucks will steal sales from the (more profitable) Silverado and Sierra.

In other words, GM has made a business case out of something Ford found was not a sound business decision (offering the T6 Ranger in the US) and GM is going to be fragmenting sales of their pickups into smaller sections.

Edited by fordmantpw

In other words, GM has made a business case out of something Ford found was not a sound business decision (offering the T6 Ranger in the US) and GM is going to be fragmenting sales of their pickups into smaller sections.

I'm convinced that GM does not do business cases. They just sit around and come up with ways to build more vehicles.

• Like 4