Finally checked out an MKZ in person.

It's a red example, the only one here at my local Ford/Lincoln dealer. The salesman said their promised supply is finally en route, but they have the one example to show customers. It's red, tan interior, and seemingly loaded (I won't pretend I play with the option lists on these).

I'm too tall, right off the bat, to get comfortable in this car. Awkward for the poor sales guy. In the morning, I nudge 6'5", and this car can't accomodate me without the seat reclined to an almost ridiculous degree. I'm disappointed by that, but not all that much; most tall folks are pretty used to having vehicles not fit. This is the smallest of the current Lincolns, and I'm of sports athlete height (if not quite condition). I can forgive this.

On the other hand...the interior is, well, stark. The lack of anything mechanical to interact with beyond the wheel, paddles, and pedals is off-putting to me. Yes, I know, people will continue assuming I'm hacking on the car, but it's the simple truth-all the smooth surfaces (which felt kinda cheap in the console) just make it seem cold to me.

I can't give a road report, I didn't feel like I could drive it comfortably enough to make that worthwhile. This one has the V6, and stickered for $49K (the dealer price is about 2K cheaper). Everything I felt about it at car shows still holds, though, especially my liking for the "1970 Torino GT" rear of the car. The 19" rims look good, and I'm slowly warming to the nose...but I find it a bit plain compared to the other end.

All in all, not for me. I'm pretty analog and the car's pretty digital. Plus, I could use another couple inches of roof height, which would spoil its appearance. Pics to follow later.

• Like 1

The lack of anything mechanical to interact with beyond the wheel, paddles, and pedals is off-putting to me.

Well, I don't get why people think Jay-Z's music is good. I can't stand it. But it's not about what I like, it's about what sells.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 3

Today I also took a trip out to a suburban Lincoln dealer to check out the MKZ. The exterior is gorgeous from top to bottom, tip to tail. All the lines flow beautifully without any sudden and awkward terminations. I was a little surprised by the minimalist approach to the dash and center stack. After sitting in the car for a few minutes I decided I liked it. There aren't any visual distractions, everything is clean, tidy and flows nicely. I thought it was more like modern contemporary architecture, rather than like Donald Trump's bathroom which is cluttered, gaudy and over done.

The two-tone treatment of the interior is nice, but...gaaah, it's a gizmo car. I find much of the same fault in various luxury cars of late in that the interface with the computer(s) has become more important than the interface with the actual elements of going, stopping, and turning.

To me, it's very cold. At least Jag gives you a dial to shift with. The buttons will always remind me of the Edsel push-button tranny...and that means a connection with Edsels.

Just as I have found recent BMWs too techy and many Benzes the same way, the MKZ isn't something I'd likely buy for myself. For basically 50 large, you can get a truly ridiculous Mustang like the one in the showroom today. It wouldn't have nearly the level of luxury, but it would have over twice the power and be much more in line with my automotive priorities.

Again, full admission that I'm the kind of guy that thinks the 3-knob climate control setup is perfect...and even the simple pushbutton climate control my TBird SC had was simple and quick to use. I prefer buttons, knobs, and keys to touchscreens, I'd likely only want MFT for Bluetooth and Nav capabilities, and I don't see why "submenus" should ever be required for something that took a simple press of a button before now.

My faults with the MKZ are, basically, that it's not the right car for me...but I don't claim that it's a bad car.

Yes, because there aren't millions of used vehicles to choose from that offer the more mechanical experience. (cough)

Also, modern Mustangs and trucks that aren't over-optioned manage to feel less...digital.

On behalf of those of us that don't need a computer to launch a car well, to feel and adjust to traction changes, and haven't had our wrist strength whither away to where turning a knob is "work"...we don't have to whine about the reaction times of MFT, we don't need digital nannies to control a vehicle, and we can actually fold a map.

Diluting the driving experience isn't progress. I'm hardly alone (especially among Ford-o-philes) in feeling that the interface between driver and various systems isn't necessarily getting better. Overcomplication is often followed by a better, simpler, way of doing things...and I believe that will be the case again.

ZanatWork, until you, Mr. Peabody and Sherman finish building your Way Back machine, you'll have to learn to live with the gizmos because buttons knobs and keys are a thing of the past. Without the gizmos you can't see, the car wouldn't go, stop or turn.

Diluting the driving experience isn't progress. I'm hardly alone (especially among Ford-o-philes) in feeling that the interface between driver and various systems isn't necessarily getting better. Overcomplication is often followed by a better, simpler, way of doing things...and I believe that will be the case again.

The problem is that how many times do you really truly interact with those controls? If your touching your climate controls more then once a day or car trip, you seriously have something wrong with yourself.

I went from the dinosaur age with my Mustang to space age MFT with my SHO and I much prefer the SHO way of doing things...because it gives me the option to do things that my Mustang could never do like tell me where the cheapest gas prices are in the area. Once I got the climate control set on the SHO, all I have to do is decide if I want it on or off, and maybe turn on the heated/cooled seats or steering wheel.

I still don't get the grinding of teeth that MFT gives car reviews...I had most of it figured out prior to me getting my car and the stuff I didn't figure out, took 5-10 minutes of interacting with the system to do. Hell my parents got a Escape Ti this past week and it has a different MFT setup and I had it figured out in few minutes of playing with it. I thing the issue here when it comes to reviewers is that the old way of doing things is so ingrained that they don't even want to put any sort of effort with it.

There's pretty much gonna be a learning curve every time you step into a different car.

Like getting used to the clutch let-up or the throw lengths.

Or getting used to the turning radius.

Or figuring out the controls to the new radio.

They all take time. This is not endemic to MFT/MLT.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

My earlier post was a little tongue in cheek, but the reality is within in 5 years or so, all cars and trucks, regardless of model will have electronics that diagnose issues, run systems, control entertainment, climate, speed, following distance, direction, going and stopping without touching any buttons or knobs. My employer and the University of MN are working on transit buses that follow designated paths on a transitway. It follows magnetic sensors in the pavement that controls its path, speed and stops. Granted, this technology is a few years off, but it's in development. There may be a day that you get into your car, program where you want to go, manually drive to a designated road that's designed for hands free travel and the direction sensors will take over and guide your car to the destination. Technology like this could eliminate congestion and accidents. In the short term, the driver's interface with a cars systems is made easier and safer with hands free, voice activated controls. Ford is out front with MFT, and with Governments wanting to control driver distractions such as phone use, it's inevitably in the cards. Like silvrsvt, I knew more about MFT before my car was delivered than the salesman or service department at my dealership. MFT is simplistic technology compared to what's coming in the future. I rarely use the knob controls on the center stack after touching the screen to turn on the entertainment, or touching one of the corner quadrants, I use the steering controls or voice activation. When voice activated controls are more advanced, you will get into your car with the keyless fob in your pocket, instruct the car to start, instruct it to shift to drive and all you'll do is steer the car and press the accelerator. Once on the road you will instruct the car to activate a preset following distance and that will control your speed. Climate and everything else that doesn't require physical control will be controled by voice. All cars will have Active City Stop and at slower speeds will stop on its own if it detects you're going to strike an object in front of you, it will sense the terrain and control the accelerator position for maximum fuel or battery efficiency utilizing the fuel shut off or battery cut off and all cars will have stop start technology. I also hope for a day when fossil fueled engines will be the secondary power source. With continuing advancements in battery technology, reduced size, on the go recharging technology and longer driving distances, all cars will have at the least a supplemental electric drivetrain and hopefully the gasoline powered engine will be the supplemental power and the term Hybrid will become obsolete.

Edited by transitman

Yes, because there aren't millions of used vehicles to choose from that offer the more mechanical experience. (cough)

That's not what this discussion is about. Of course there are cars out there without advanced electronic technology, I saw a fellow in my neighborhood driving his GTO the other day. I'm 57, I remember the old days, my first car was a 68 Bonneville, the only electronics in that car was the radio and the starter, I also had a 49 Plymouth coupe for a couple of years, that didn't even have a radio. If you're talking about, or planning to purchase a new vehicle in 2013, be prepared to embrace the present.

My faults with the MKZ are, basically, that it's not the right car for me...but I don't claim that it's a bad car.

This is the problem with many posters here. You can't seem to comprehend that what YOU like or dislike isn't necessarily what other buyers like or dislike. If Lincoln doesn't build the car YOU want them to build they're doomed to failure.

The Lexus ES and RX are probably the last vehicle you'd be interested in but they sell like gangbusters. And that's the kind of vehicle Lincoln needs right now to build volume and profits and THEN they can afford to build niche vehicles.

• Like 1

I went by the local Lincoln dealer today (paired with Volvo and Mazda) and it is slim pickings for Lincoln new inventory. There were no '13 MKZs to be found, three MKS's, and two MKTs. I think there might have been one MKX. To make it worse, two of three MKS's were the Ginger Ale color, which looks nothing like the Ginger Ale on Lincoln's website (more of a metallic pea soup, IMO).

I'd like to sit in an MKZ since I am also quite tall (6'-4") and am curious how comfortable I would be. I have no problems with legroom or headroom in my LS, but the seats also seem to be much lower.

Interestingly, I noticed a couple dozen Chevys from the nearby Chevy dealer parked in the lot behind the Lincoln dealer where new arrivals or trade ins are usually parked, which was odd since the Chevy dealer is about a block down the street and not owned by the same group. After driving there to check it out, I found out why. They are overflowing with inventory. They had the cars packed so tightly on the lot that even my somewhat slim frame was struggling to pass between. It was so tight that it was almost too much of a hassle to maneuver in to check out the window sticker. There were maybe 18 inches between each car, and the place was overflowing with Malibus, Impalas, and Silverados.

Edited by mustang84isu

I'm a "Normal" height of 5'10".....5'11" on a good day LOL. No problem at all fitting in the MKZ (no moon roof or panorama). My only quibble was the console. I liked the way it opened and felt, but it looked inexpensive with the exposed inside plastic as it opened. It needs to be trimmed out like the glove box flocking, the glove box door is weighted nicely btw. The console reminded me...in a very good way, of the '63 Thunderbird. Elegant and expansive.

I absolutely love the MKZ's interior design and the way it uses technology to clean things up. The MKZ is the first car to break the mold and actually leverage modern technology to create a vastly different experience. The MKZ is like the first iPhone while everything else is just a variation of a Blackberry, it's so groundbreaking that it's hard to imagine it won't influence all design going forward...but I'm not sure Lincoln is popular enough to set any trends. Now the big handicap remains the MLT system which is probably the weakest system among the Detroit 3. The MKZ dash looks good, it just doesn't work good. Now I do prefer having MLT over not having it, but once you've used CUE, MyLink, IntelliLink, and UConnect, the Ford system feels inferior. Ford has a great looking and easy to use UI, but the hardware and software performance is just miserable and inexcusable and a LONG way from acceptable. And I'm still waiting on Siri integration, which CUE is now offering.

And I agree, the design and material simplicity means the MKZ cabin feels clinical compared to most luxury cars. I think part of the problem is the materials, textures, and finishes used on the center console which is the most dominating feature. Caddy has addressed this by using glossy/glassy plastics, while Lincoln prefers a matte texture which doesn't look as rich, but certainly solves a big problem with finger prints and glare. And Caddy (and Ford actually) prefer to fill their interiors with a huge variety of materials and textures while Lincoln is much simpler (and for some it looks cheaper). I personally prefer what the MKZ is doing, but there is something missing in Lincoln's execution and could use improvement. I think the Caddy CTS is probably the best medium between the elegance of the tech and the conventions of luxury, but ideologically I prefer the design honesty of the MKZ over the stodginess of the Caddy.

Edited by BORG

Cluttered, gaudy and overdone seems to be the styling craze right now (see Buick Lacrosse).

For me, that just looks cluttered, gaudy and overdone. LOL

That seems to be the style of all Buicks, too much clutter. There are so many buttons on the center stack of the Encore it looks like the inside of a cockpit.

This is the problem with many posters here. You can't seem to comprehend that what YOU like or dislike isn't necessarily what other buyers like or dislike. If Lincoln doesn't build the car YOU want them to build they're doomed to failure.

The Lexus ES and RX are probably the last vehicle you'd be interested in but they sell like gangbusters. And that's the kind of vehicle Lincoln needs right now to build volume and profits and THEN they can afford to build niche vehicles.

Ummm...so you borrow my point, then accuse me of not comprehending it?

Think before posting next time. I said it wasn't for ME. Trying to get on me for making the point is just the latest in your fascinating behaviors around here.

On the other hand, Lincoln is having horrible sales, and no amount of "Lincoln Motor Company" babble kept that from happening. Nothing inspires talk like exciting product, and Lincoln is dealing with a selection that's not making the needed waves.

Audi has years of Quattro history, which was richened by some very successful rally cars and beasts like the R8. Lexus kept drivers interested with its initial SC, then various "F" models. BMW built a driver's car reputation and pumped various "M" models into it to cement it. Benz kept the SL going, bought AMG as a performance brand, and is now assaulting BMW's throne for drivers' cars. Jaguar is doing well because all of its current lineup are tuned for the discerning driver. Acura had the original Legend coupe (very handsome in its day) and the NSX. Without them, they seem lost and doomed lately.

I can't give a great report card to any car too cramped for me to drive, obviously. Likewise, I'm not going to pretend that Lincoln is doing "great" with its stable of "safe" products when the whole division is lucky to outsell Ford's "niche" car, the Mustang...a vehicle, I may add, with the very ingredients that you often insist Lincolns don't need.

Our little exchanges are always fascinating...!

Edited by ZanatWork

I was referring to your many previous musings declaring Lincoln dead because they aren't building the kinds of cars you want to buy. You've done it repeatedly. Just because you throw in one "not the vehicle for ME" doesn't undo months of bemoaning the brand and their strategy.

And if you honestly think that Lexus EX and RX buyers buy them because Lexus made/makes a handful of sporty cars you're simply delusional.

I absolutely love the MKZ's interior design and the way it uses technology to clean things up. The MKZ is the first car to break the mold and actually leverage modern technology to create a vastly different experience. The MKZ is like the first iPhone while everything else is just a variation of a Blackberry, it's so groundbreaking that it's hard to imagine it won't influence all design going forward...but I'm not sure Lincoln is popular enough to set any trends. Now the big handicap remains the MLT system which is probably the weakest system among the Detroit 3. The MKZ dash looks good, it just doesn't work good. Now I do prefer having MLT over not having it, but once you've used CUE, MyLink, IntelliLink, and UConnect, the Ford system feels inferior. Ford has a great looking and easy to use UI, but the hardware and software performance is just miserable and inexcusable and a LONG way from acceptable. And I'm still waiting on Siri integration, which CUE is now offering.

And I agree, the design and material simplicity means the MKZ cabin feels clinical compared to most luxury cars. I think part of the problem is the materials, textures, and finishes used on the center console which is the most dominating feature. Caddy has addressed this by using glossy/glassy plastics, while Lincoln prefers a matte texture which doesn't look as rich, but certainly solves a big problem with finger prints and glare. And Caddy (and Ford actually) prefer to fill their interiors with a huge variety of materials and textures while Lincoln is much simpler (and for some it looks cheaper). I personally prefer what the MKZ is doing, but there is something missing in Lincoln's execution and could use improvement. I think the Caddy CTS is probably the best medium between the elegance of the tech and the conventions of luxury, but ideologically I prefer the design honesty of the MKZ over the stodginess of the Caddy.

Yet every review of Cue has stated that it is easily as "bad" as MFT is. While they like the idea of the tablet wannabe, the execution is terrible, and the lag in the system makes the current MFT/MLT look fast by comparison.

I think you just like it because it isn't Ford.

I was referring to your many previous musings declaring Lincoln dead because they aren't building the kinds of cars you want to buy. You've done it repeatedly. Just because you throw in one "not the vehicle for ME" doesn't undo months of bemoaning the brand and their strategy.

And if you honestly think that Lexus EX and RX buyers buy them because Lexus made/makes a handful of sporty cars you're simply delusional.

Actually, I generally said that the reasons I'd state were my "concerns"...look 'em up. You don't tend to quote me correctly very often.

Have I cited the lack of niche or performance products for hurting Lincoln? Yes, like most analysts I've seen. Have I ever said "don't build that MKS, it doesn't excite me!" Ummm...no.

DId I say the MKZ would have a lot to live up to? Yep. Have I said that the delays and resulting bad press would make it harder? Yep.

Didn't I also directly say that Lincoln needed to do more to separate itself from its donor Ford origins...something that Lincoln's own representatives talk about?

Yep.

I've railed on Lincoln because it was being a less-interesting Mercury with its stable of barely-upgraded Fords...and I'm right to do so. I never, ever say to NOT build an MKZ or MKS (and I've been pretty clear that I'm impressed by the MKC concept).

You're only comprehending what you choose to. Whether it's because you're determined to remain in a snit with me, or because the words get too big for you, only you can answer. Please do so honestly.

Yet every review of Cue has stated that it is easily as "bad" as MFT is. While they like the idea of the tablet wannabe, the execution is terrible, and the lag in the system makes the current MFT/MLT look fast by comparison.

I think you just like it because it isn't Ford.

Well, I've used both (obviously I live with one of them) and the CUE is laggy, but nothing like MLT. And you have to remember that the software on MLT is much more primitive; it doesn't have multi-touch, kinetic scrolling, pinch-to-zoom, and is still using a smaller low quality, lower resolution resistive touch screen. And despite the lack of modern UI features and screen resolution, it's the buggiest and slowest system on the market. And Ford continues to produce one of the worst touchscreens I've ever used in a car.

I'm sorry, but you will never convince me Ford is doing this right with the current system. The only thing I'll concede is the design of the UI which I think is one of the best, but the hardware and software underpinning it is absolutely garbage. Don't get my started on entering a navigation destination with MFT/MLT, ....the rage....oh my God the RAGE! I set aside a half hour to sort that out each time, the system is so freakking incapable with voice or text entry. I can get the same job done in 2 seconds with Siri on my iPhone and that's ultimately what it comes down to, using my iPhone or Android phone infront of my MLT screen (nice little ledge there for that)

Edited by BORG

Um. "Pinch to zoom"

What setting on your touch panel should require zooming. Or mutli-touch gestures?

Aside from GPS, under the most limited of situations (where you're basically using the GPS as you would a paper map), I can't imagine a need to zoom anything.

In fact, I would argue that excess complexity (multi-touch gestures and pinch-to-zoom) makes a system less useful and less safe to use.

Everything you need to do should be doable with nothing more than taps and swipes/drags.

Edited by RichardJensen