Finally checked out an MKZ in person.

I've railed on Lincoln because it was being a less-interesting Mercury with its stable of barely-upgraded Fords...and I'm right to do so. I never, ever say to NOT build an MKZ or MKS (and I've been pretty clear that I'm impressed by the MKC concept).

You're only comprehending what you choose to.

You railed about the 2012 MKZ and totally ignored the 2013 MKZ after the 2013 MKZ was already in production and about to start shipping. You ignore the success of the ES and RX or the Caddy SRX. You ignore things when they don't fit your desires or when they're convenient for your arguments. Or maybe you're so delusional that you don't even remember what you type.

Edited by akirby

And, as alway, point-by-point:

1. Yes, because it was so like the Fusion that the story about the car was, indeed, just how much it shared with its sibling rather than any identity it could eke out for itself. It was still better than the similar-in-many-ways Lexus ES, something I also said clearly among my "railings". I doubt you chose to pay attention.

2. Given how many topics I've been on regarding the MKZ, saying I "totally ignored" it is pretty bizarre, even for you. You insisted that I should discern all its qualities from concept photos, which I've happily reminded you of time and again. I said, correctly, that the "current" MKZ was the one people could actually drive and purchase at the dealership, because...oh, yeah, the new MKZ was having issues so dire that the dealership I visited YESTERDAY sitll only has received one example.

3. I don't recall the SRX ever being brought up, and I've cited the Camry and the ES as very boring "me too" vehicles for many years on BON. I've kinda been here over a decade, I do know what I've posted. I've also cited how much I hate the nannified nature of those Toyota products, as I had to drive examples for my employer a few years back.

Given that I've also been quite happy to discuss the success of the new Fusion and Escape in other threads, both of which are quite mainstream, I'd say the evidence is overwhelming that YOU ignore what you don't care to deal with in arguments...and as a result, your points are often bizarre and possibly "delusional". How many senses do YOU get information from when viewing a concept photo, again?

I'm aware of far more than you seem inclined to read or comprehend. I've discussed most of Ford's offerings here for a good many years, and have actually written for the site previously. I'd also point out that when I've discussed anything positive from Caddy, Richard is quite quick to describe their ongoing financial woes.

I'm straight about what I say. You're bizarre about it, even when quoting things that contradict your very point. Give up, walk away. I've already proven that I don't go looking for your posts; if you can't deal with mine and how often you end up looking foolish in the threads, please feel free to avoid them.

You railed about the 2012 MKZ and totally ignored the 2013 MKZ after the 2013 MKZ was already in production and about to start shipping. You ignore the success of the ES and RX or the Caddy SRX. You ignore things when they don't fit your desires or when they're convenient for your arguments. Or maybe you're so delusional that you don't even remember what you type.

Um. "Pinch to zoom"

What setting on your touch panel should require zooming. Or mutli-touch gestures?

Aside from GPS, under the most limited of situations (where you're basically using the GPS as you would a paper map), I can't imagine a need to zoom anything.

In fact, I would argue that excess complexity (multi-touch gestures and pinch-to-zoom) makes a system less useful and less safe to use.

Everything you need to do should be doable with nothing more than taps and swipes/drags.

Nope, I'd rather spend much more time tapping points on a map to scroll through it than flicking and pinching. Or tapping patiently on an arrow button to advance to the next page of a phone book instead of flicking through it quickly. Yep, sounds safer to me. Because you know, when you're driving, you have nothing but time to focus on the display while you're waiting for it to inch slowly to your desired point. When you have a touch screen, the best way to use it is to act like it's not a touch screen.

Edited by BORG

Actually, I generally see you making little hacks at anyone who disagrees with you...

...and please, next time decide to spare me any of your inability to defend your points by simply avoiding my threads. Thanks for playing, and losing, again.

Everybody else seems to understand my points just fine (even if they don't always agree with them), so I'll save my typing for those that can comprehend it and I won't waste any more of it on you.
  • Like 1

Nope, I'd rather spend much more time tapping points on a map to scroll through it than flicking and pinching. Or tapping patiently on an arrow button to advance to the next page of a phone book instead of flicking through it quickly. Yep, sounds safer to me. Because you know, when you're driving, you have nothing but time to focus on the display while you're waiting for it to inch slowly to your desired point. When you have a touch screen, the best way to use it is to act like it's not a touch screen.

1) I specifically mentioned swipes--which can be done with a resistive touch screen, and said swipes would cover both scrolling through a map and a phone book

and

2) Browsing a phone book or scrolling through a map while driving is *incredibly* dangerous. Why not read the paper or browse some websites while you're at it?

1) I specifically mentioned swipes--which can be done with a resistive touch screen, and said swipes would cover both scrolling through a map and a phone book

But MFT/MLT doesn't currently do it. About my only real complaint as far as navigating through the screens.

and

2) Browsing a phone book or scrolling through a map while driving is *incredibly* dangerous. Why not read the paper or browse some websites while you're at it?

...to counter my first point though, just about anything you would want to scroll through (playlists, phone book) can be accessedd via voice command instead much easier than even swiping would be.

Not to mention that these gestures can be easy screwed up by the littlest bump in the road making your fingers move in a way you don't want them too.

IIRC, there was a Ford LTD commercial in the 60's, where some diamond-cutter was cutting a diamond in the back seat of an LTD. :)

I test drove an MKZ a week ago while getting my MKX serviced. The first red flag was how my service adviser told the salesman "be forewarned, he knows quite a bit about cars and he is not your typical Lincoln driver-he's aggressive"...So he asked me questions, just as I asked him questions. Mainly about "Whats coming into the dealership lately" where my question. But I took the MKZ around for a "normal spin" and amazingly he handled me pretty well. I had the suspension on sport mode, my only complaint is I have brick streets in my area, but then smooth streets next to them. So having to go thru all the menus on the instrument cluster to SELECT normal/sport, etc is a bit tedious and more involved that I would like. I would have preferred a quick button. Materials were top notice, attention to detail and quality was high up as well. I had a hard time NOT having a stick to rest my hand on, I just felt like i had to grab something. Car handled pretty well for what it is, I drove it over my usual turns and such and didn't exhibit the boat-nose drive that would be expected. It did suffer from "squat" upon acceleration which I abhor (I had a AWD) and the nose dive was pretty well controlled though. Surprisingly it was not as quiet as I expected, a bit more outside wind noise that I would expect. The tranny clicked upshifts perfectly though, although a few times I would confuse the pedal and you could see that tranny going thru it's motions and free-wheeling a bit I expected that. Overall I was impressed of how good of a package it was overall, in relation to driving experience. My only personal concern is I think its a few thousands too much of what it would be realistically (no cache), and the competition has more engaging products to offer. For someone shopping for an ES350 or TL I would hands-down recommend the MKZ.

I'm in the market right now for a another vehicle for business purposes, and I'm actually considering an MKZ, but the pricing is just not convincing right now. I'm waiting for residuals to re-asses or more favorable leasing, right now the Fusion is a bargain. And indeed, the vehicle I'm looking at is the hybrid. Too bad MKZ doesn't offer an Energie variant.

Edited by BORG

And if you honestly think that Lexus EX and RX buyers buy them because Lexus made/makes a handful of sporty cars you're simply delusional.

People that buy the ES and RX don't have the slightest idea that Lexus makes anything else, really...and if they are aware, think cars like the GS are too harsh, too stiff, etc. (Which is exactly the point, you're making, I know). No car maker exists to do anything but sell vehicles that derive the greatest profit. But in Zanat's defense, he did make it fairly clear in this case he actually sat in the MKZ and said it just wasn't for him, without a judgment as to the effect on Lincoln's sales. (Even though I agree w/ you Kirby that he's tried to assert Lincoln's done because they make vehicles he doesn't like).

People that buy the ES and RX don't have the slightest idea that Lexus makes anything else, really...and if they are aware, think cars like the GS are too harsh, too stiff, etc. (Which is exactly the point, you're making, I know). No car maker exists to do anything but sell vehicles that derive the greatest profit. But in Zanat's defense, he did make it fairly clear in this case he actually sat in the MKZ and said it just wasn't for him, without a judgment as to the effect on Lincoln's sales. (Even though I agree w/ you Kirby that he's tried to assert Lincoln's done because they make vehicles he doesn't like).

Definitely the impression that I got from reading the thread.

I'm in the market right now for a another vehicle for business purposes, and I'm actually considering an MKZ, but the pricing is just not convincing right now. I'm waiting for residuals to re-asses or more favorable leasing, right now the Fusion is a bargain. And indeed, the vehicle I'm looking at is the hybrid. Too bad MKZ doesn't offer an Energie variant.

I think there is a good chance of that happening in the next year or so ......

(there have been some Detroit rumors that have been flying on the net - that says that Lincoln might just be willing to do that with the MKZ)

John