Ford to Produce 4 New models off of 500 Platform

edited by staff (please only link to articles - do not cut/paste copywritten material in the forums)

CLICK HERE FOR THE ARTICLE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be a new Mercury, Mercury needs products, so much potential at mercury they really should tap into it instead of letting mercury dwindle.

Mercury only exists to give L/M dealers some sales between Lincolns. They already have the Montego as their D3 sedan.

Anyway, I'm guessing that clay model we saw earlier is "this" vehicle.

They could really use a cross over. Mercury attracts Toyota and Honda buyers, they won't if they don't get product.

Wouldn't you expect one of these D3 products to replace the Freestyle? Afterall, it is a people mover based on the D3 that seats 7 with an MSRP that directly competes with the minivan. Wouldn't the D3 people mover just be a more modern and spacious version of the Freestyle, sort of like the new GM CUVs? And from what I gather, the Freestyle has had trouble meeting expectations and may have been inadequate to supplement the fading SUV craze which has hit Ford really hard.

Edited by Edgey

Does anybody think that maybe Ford is developing a Ridgeline type vehicle (I won't call it a truck) on the D3 to replace the Ranger? They said that they are getting out of the compact truck business but they will still need a light duty truck that gets good gas mileage to keep their CAFE low.

Remember the Freestyle FX Concept?...

fd2003freestylefx01.jpg

Ford Media Link on the Freestyle FX

I remember that concept actually, but if produced, it would probably sticker around $25-30K. That's one of the issue with the Ridgeline, for what it is. And since it's much more complex than BOF, then not much profits at that. People would choose a Sport Trac, or F-150 at that price.

The only business cause I would see on this concept would be that it wouldn't require that much tooling to produce, and considering gas prices will continue to rise, this would give them an option.

Ford hasn't said they are vacating the compact truck market. They have said that they no longer need to compete in every segment and shouldn't pursue projects based on that premise alone. With that said, Ford will be vacating the compact truck market for at least a year after the Ranger is discontinued.

I doubt anybody is going to be interested in chasing the Ridgeline and I think the Freestyle concept just needed a gimmick to grab some interest. Ford already has the Sport_Trac and sales have been very weak, there is very limited interest in pursuing additional truck hybrids.

Edited by Edgey

Ford: Five Hundred platform will underpin 4 new N.A. vehicles

Amy Wilson | |

He showed a slide that indicated two of the new products would be sedans, and two would be for "future unique segments."

While I wish it would be a "Mercury Freestyle" the article states two "new category" and two sedans.

New Category #1 - Ford Fairlane

New Category #2 - Lincoln Fairlane

Sedan #1 - Lincoln MKS

Sedan #2 - ???

My ideas:

-Stretched for the E386 Lincoln flagship

-Panther replacement (Crown Vic/G.Marq)

-Larger Volvo flagship, S90 or S100.

-Larger Mazda sedan (Mazda9?)

-An "all-new" Jaguar entry-level sedan

Out of these, Volvo, Mazda, & Jaguar just don't make sense. The Panther replacement I highly dobut. The D3/P2 just isn't right to replace the fleet business of the Crown Vic. And the 500/Montego are already the "right-size" for a Panther "drop-in" replacement. That makes me think the E386 is back on.

Scott

Out of these, Volvo, Mazda, & Jaguar just don't make sense. The Panther replacement I highly dobut. The D3/P2 just isn't right to replace the fleet business of the Crown Vic. And the 500/Montego are already the "right-size" for a Panther "drop-in" replacement. That makes me think the E386 is back on.

Scott

I don't know what Ford could get out of making 2 different Lincoln Sedans off the same platform, Its almost pointless to just have a stretched out MKS to become the Lincoln flagship. What would it offer over the MKS besides being bigger? It would need something different about it to make it worth while..maybe suicide doors? ;) I see no point in the D386 if its just streched out and costs more then the MKS

I don't know what Ford could get out of making 2 different Lincoln Sedans off the same platform, Its almost pointless to just have a stretched out MKS to become the Lincoln flagship. What would it offer over the MKS besides being bigger? It would need something different about it to make it worth while..maybe suicide doors? ;) I see no point in the D386 if its just streched out and costs more then the MKS

look at Camry and Avalon - only few people realize the Avalon is Camry with longer overhangs ;) Es and LS lincolns share the same relationship.

The biggest difference between Avalon and Camry, like between MKC and MKS is the price point.

The MKS will likely be fixed at 40k or so strting MSRP - that will limit its interior materials and other features.

If they fix MKC to sticker at 50k it could offer a lot of things hard to get at MKS - the suede interiior could actually happen, and other little detailing, that was on the concep, but will likel disappear from the production model.

Also MKC could provide other distinct features - super sharp handling, or such - that would make it target different audince than a mild mannered and pedestrian MKS.

There are options, but I would still like to see a Falcon or S-type based flagship - not one based on D3.

igor

Edited by igor

The MKS will likely be fixed at 40k or so strting MSRP - that will limit its interior materials and other features.

If they fix MKC to sticker at 50k it could offer a lot of things hard to get at MKS - the suede interiior could actually happen, and other little detailing, that was on the concep, but will likel disappear from the production model.

Also MKC could provide other distinct features - super sharp handling, or such - that would make it target different audince than a mild mannered and pedestrian MKS.

There are options, but I would still like to see a Falcon or S-type based flagship - not one based on D3.

igor

While I, along with most enthusiasts, would like to see a jaw-dropping, V8-powered, low-n-long, suicide-door Lincoln flagship, I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen. Lincoln is setting a course for mild-mannered FWD/AWD sedans with pleasant styling & features.

While that's boring to us enthusiasts, it makes perfect financial sense. Not every person wants the fastest, sleekest, sportiest car out there. With Cadillac moving towards the sportier side of things, Lincoln can have a larger share of the traditional luxury market. It's not sexy and young but people over 39 have money to spend too!

Scott

While I, along with most enthusiasts, would like to see a jaw-dropping, V8-powered, low-n-long, suicide-door Lincoln flagship, I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen. Lincoln is setting a course for mild-mannered FWD/AWD sedans with pleasant styling & features.

While that's boring to us enthusiasts, it makes perfect financial sense. Not every person wants the fastest, sleekest, sportiest car out there. With Cadillac moving towards the sportier side of things, Lincoln can have a larger share of the traditional luxury market. It's not sexy and young but people over 39 have money to spend too!

Scott

But will they choose a Lincoln over a Volvo, an Audi, or a Lexus? I think that's the problem. I don't think Lincoln should try and build "sport" sedans like Caddy is trying, because I don't think they stand a chance against the likes of BMW and Mercedes in that department, but they need to offer something unique and I guess styling is all they're going to have since the competition has them beat in the drivetrain department for the most part. The problem is I don't see any styling homeruns yet, either.

I agree, I have said that for years. If Volvo supposedly appeals to safety conscience families, then what better offering than a minivan...one you can flip and not have it's roof crushed in as the XC90. And sure, it's going to cost a bit, but it would work.

Here's another idea: Maybe Volvo is getting another D3? A Volvo people-mover maybe?? I always thought they'd do very well to offer a minivan-type vehicle....

Just a thought....

I doubt it, since when does Ford annoce a new Vovlo product? It would have to fit under Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

Maybe that Clay mockup is it ;)

Here's another idea: Maybe Volvo is getting another D3? A Volvo people-mover maybe?? I always thought they'd do very well to offer a minivan-type vehicle....

Just a thought....

That's a great idea, especially since Volvo has spoken in the past of finding ways to minimize currency fluctuations. Is Volvo's production capacity fully utilized?

so, the Ford Fairlame, the Lincoln Fairlame and the Lincoln MKS..

one sedan is missing.. Mark Fields said (or was it people assuming) that the MKS is going to replace the Town Car, so for a while, the Large Lincoln is canned.

so who needs the D3 to make a sedan? Maybe the new S60? i doubt... the EUCD is better than the D3.

the X-Type? i doubt there's any FWD jags in the future.

maybe a large Mazda? MZ9? i think they need it, but IIRC Mazda said that the 6 is going to be the biggest sedan.