Mark LaNeve, Former Cadillac Head Takes Over Lincoln Ad Agency

Automotive News 4-8-13

Mark LaNeve, former top North American marketer at General Motors and ex-head of Cadillac, has taken over as president of the Lincoln brand's ad agency, a Ford Motor Co. spokesman said today.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130408/RETAIL03/130409898/ex-gm-marketing-boss-laneve-takes-over-lincolns-ad-agency&cciid=email-autonews-blast##ixzz2PufnQSz7
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

And having said that, you've said a mouthful.

Here's a thought: How about not confusing what you like with what sells?

It is a dangerous thing to use the term "what sells" to defend the current Lincoln product range and potentially their foreseeable product range. I don't see much sales success in their product line and the future looks to be mostly updates of the same models. Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

It is a dangerous thing to use the term "what sells" to defend the current Lincoln product range and potentially their foreseeable product range. I don't see much sales success in their product line and the future looks to be mostly updates of the same models.

Then all the better to have a great marketing campaign that rings with potential customers. If you can't do it with great product, then you better do it with great marketing. Lexus did it that way...the ES350 is super boring. Now if neither is very good, then viablilty is problematic at best.

It is a dangerous thing to use the term "what sells" to defend the current Lincoln product range and potentially their foreseeable product range. I don't see much sales success in their product line and the future looks to be mostly updates of the same models.

I'm sure that Ford and Lincoln will take your concerns into consideration as they are preparing to bring forth the all new MKC, as well as all of the other new product coming out.

After all, completely changing platforms and completely redesigning things is just "mostly updates of the same models."

I'm sure that Ford and Lincoln will take your concerns into consideration as they are preparing to bring forth the all new MKC, as well as all of the other new product coming out.

After all, completely changing platforms and completely redesigning things is just "mostly updates of the same models."

Wow, I must have missed Ford's press release of when the MKC production version will be shown and Job 1 date along with available drivetrains and auto trans cogs. All I've seen is a concept vehicle 3 months ago. I assume Lincoln gets that it has to up the ante and do something really nice in compact CUV segment, but when that will be is open to speculation only. While speculating, I hope to god there is a hybrid version further differentating it from conventional engine Escape, and hope to god there is no hideous retractable top that looks like plate of glass was thrown on top. Panoramic moon roof is classy, retractable top is really weird looking.

• Like 1

GM lacks the ability to let talented people actual utilize their talent. They micromanage everything that they do, to the point that what comes out sucks.

Either every advertising agency sucks, or the one approving things and saying what they want sucks. Since there has only been one constant at the house of advertising revolving doors.................. I think I know which one I would look at.

GM lacks the ability to let talented people actual utilize their talent. They micromanage everything that they do, to the point that what comes out sucks.

Now how do you know that living out in AZ. GM Proving Grounds for excessive heat testing? I would say the engineers and designers got to use their talent with new ATS and CTS. As an engineer/designer, would you rather work for a company that gives you a big budget, or one that narrows you down with generic parts from more pedestrian parts bin. And most top engineers would give their eye teeth to work on new Corvette. And I know for a fact that many top engineers love to work on new generation Mustangs. I know one that left aeronautical engineering to work on new Mustang back in early 2000's, and then left Ford to help GM build its new Camaro and then latest Corvette. If Metro Detroit/A2 is anything, it is haven for top automotive engineers/designers.

Now how do you know that living out in AZ. GM Proving Grounds for excessive heat testing? I would say the engineers and designers got to use their talent with new ATS and CTS. As an engineer/designer, would you rather work for a company that gives you a big budget, or one that narrows you down with generic parts from more pedestrian parts bin. And most top engineers would give their eye teeth to work on new Corvette. And I know for a fact that many top engineers love to work on new generation Mustangs. I know one that left aeronautical engineering to work on new Mustang back in early 2000's, and then left Ford to help GM build its new Camaro and then latest Corvette. If Metro Detroit/A2 is anything, it is haven for top automotive engineers/designers.

What the hell does that have to do with ADVERTISING? Geez.

Metro Detroit.

So tell us exactly how you talk about the Domestic industry without dealing with SE MI? For that matter, many of the imports have major research centers here. I was just at the Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor, and Toyota signs all over the place as they are major sponsor of Theater with big reseacrch center there. So yeah, SE MI is going to come up a lot in discussion of auto industry, not Peeson, AZ or Fargo, ND. With you guys so enamored with Ford as in major cheerleaders, surprised many of you haven't moved to Dearborn to get your Ford fix on daily basis.

One post left, FB.

And GM's course over the past several years is enough to indict their management:

They had all the advantages of a government financed bankruptcy and yet they continue to earn less than Ford, including substantially less per unit.

Clearly, if GM had a winning strategy for Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet, it would've been apparent by now in margins that at least *equal* Ford's.

Edited by RichardJensen

Now how do you know that living out in AZ.

This may come as quite a shock to you, but information knows no borders. It's not all bottled up in Metro Detroit (and thank God; what a freaking mess of a city that is), just like the engineering facilities of Ford and GM aren't exclusively located there...

• Like 1

So tell us exactly how you talk about the Domestic industry without dealing with SE MI? For that matter, many of the imports have major research centers here. I was just at the Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor, and Toyota signs all over the place as they are major sponsor of Theater with big reseacrch center there. So yeah, SE MI is going to come up a lot in discussion of auto industry, not Peeson, AZ or Fargo, ND. With you guys so enamored with Ford as in major cheerleaders, surprised many of you haven't moved to Dearborn to get your Ford fix on daily basis.

And the relevance of any of that to most of the topics (including this one) where you mention it?

One post left, FB.

And GM's course over the past several years is enough to indict their management:

They had all the advantages of a government financed bankruptcy and yet they continue to earn less than Ford, including substantially less per unit.

Clearly, if GM had a winning strategy for Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet, it would've been apparent by now in margins that at least *equal* Ford's.

With my LAST post, first of all, I'm not a cheerleader for GM, just not into bashing them on daily basis. And in terms of global profits, I believe VW is first, Toyota second, and GM third. Ford is now only profitable in one region.....N.A. and of course they are doing very well here, better than anyone I suppose including even Toyota. Again, I drive a Ford and my next daily driver will be a Ford for sure even without A or Z plan with the death of my last beloved parent. So I'm not into bashing Ford, only trying to be objective here about what they are offering just as Chevy Malibu was mediocre effort. Loyalty to some corporate entity makes no sense. I only drive a Ford now because it's familiar, has been good to me, and Ford dealer is a mile away meaning convenience. And Ford stock will be sold if and when it doesn't make sense to own it anymore. I'm not interested in being married to any brand or corporation. Being exclusive only leads to less truth and honesty. Too much inbreeding on this site.