Lincoln needs a farewell address, not a new marketing plan

Guess again, you won't be getting 10% off MSRP on current models.

2013 models:

MKS = $1,000 Owner Loyalty OR $1,000 Conquest Cash
MKX = $1,000 Owner Loyalty OR $1,000 Conquest Cash
MKT = $1,000 Owner Loyalty OR $1,000 Conquest Cash
MKZ = $1,000 Conquest Cash
Navigator = $2,000 Owner Loyalty OR $1,000 Conquest Cash

Careful - those are just the current incentives. They are not a negotiated deal. Much depends on the car, You will get a better deal on the MKT that has been on the lot for months than on an MKZ that you order special.

If I'm paying cash for a new car I expect at least 10% off MSRP even before I discuss a trade-in, otherwise I am walking! I don't care if it's a Ford, Lincoln or Infiniti for that matter. The dealer wants you to think the mark-up is so low, because they're only talking about mark-up on the base price, but each option and package is marked up too, for an average of 10% markup.

sorry, you are absolutely wrong....its why incentives have become so important to transactions...on a 54720 Raptor there is $4400 between invoice and MSRP....if you count holdback your GUESSTIMATE is ( on some, but definitely not all...check base Fiesta Focii Fusions....) reasonably accurate...then again, attempt to get a dealer to sell a Raptor into holdback....WITH incentives , YES, 10% is feasible....iIF of course you are elegible...

Edited by Deanh

Careful - those are just the current incentives. They are not a negotiated deal. Much depends on the car, You will get a better deal on the MKT that has been on the lot for months than on an MKZ that you order special.

Agree but invariably what the dealer gives he takes back off your trade. I'm sure that Deanh as a dealer can fill you in

on the lay of the land much better as I'm one of those that likes to strike my bargains with added options thrown in for free..

Edited by jpd80

Agree but invariably what the dealer gives he takes back off your trade. I'm sure that Deanh as a dealer can fill you in

on the lay of the land much better as I'm one of those that likes to strike my bargains with added options thrown in for free..

pretty much incentives reflect supply and demand....I GUARANTEE theres not much demand on MKT's....

If I'm paying cash for a new car I expect at least 10% off MSRP even before I discuss a trade-in, otherwise I am walking! I don't care if it's a Ford, Lincoln or Infiniti for that matter. The dealer wants you to think the mark-up is so low, because they're only talking about mark-up on the base price, but each option and package is marked up too, for an average of 10% markup.

yeah...we WANT you to think exactly that...funniest stuff Ive read all year....we actually take clients into small room with rotating kinetic artwork...after 10 minutes people think we lose money at full MSRP as well....

• Like 1

pretty much incentives reflect supply and demand....I GUARANTEE theres not much demand on MKT's....

I understand that but in the case of MKT it looks Ford is matching production of MKT to monthly sales,

that would tend to keep inventory replenished at a prescribed levels and incentives in check..

I understand that but in the case of MKT it looks Ford is matching production of MKT to monthly sales,

that would tend to keep inventory replenished at a prescribed levels and incentives in check..

what are they selling ?...probably les than 100 month...lol, and those are probably Livery....saw an MKT Limo the other day...actually quite impressive....

I know the lay of the land, have respect for the good salespeople and most dealers. Have had dealers where I was a regular customer over tthe years, and the best deals I have made were based on mutual respect. (Also, I often do not trade in.) Often the guys that go in to get every nickel off that they can actually end up paying more than a "regular" who realizes that the dealer is there to make money, and if you have been a long time regular in the service dept, you are treated well.

I know the lay of the land, have respect for the good salespeople and most dealers. Have had dealers where I was a regular customer over tthe years, and the best deals I have made were based on mutual respect. (Also, I often do not trade in.) Often the guys that go in to get every nickel off that they can actually end up paying more than a "regular" who realizes that the dealer is there to make money, and if you have been a long time regular in the service dept, you are treated well.

appreciate that comment...bottom line, theres always potentially a happy compromise from both parties, and those are the most pleasurable transactions, I whole heartedly recommend one educate themselve, realize the "Come on Down" loss leaders are wrought with smokescreens, make a FAIR deal and its easy. Dealers are NOt in business to lose money, they may take a hit on aged inventory, but anyone that thinks they just need to move vehicles, and think they are doing the dealers a FAVOR ( yep, we get those as well ) at a loss no less, are sadly mis-informed.....

appreciate that comment...bottom line, theres always potentially a happy compromise from both parties, and those are the most pleasurable transactions, I whole heartedly recommend one educate themselve, realize the "Come on Down" loss leaders are wrought with smokescreens, make a FAIR deal and its easy. Dealers are NOt in business to lose money, they may take a hit on aged inventory, but anyone that thinks they just need to move vehicles, and think they are doing the dealers a FAVOR ( yep, we get those as well ) at a loss no less, are sadly mis-informed.....

I love the sales people that say, "I really want you to have this car," as if he's doing me a favor by "letting" me buy the vehicle! LOL Or as much as I'm a car LOVER, the ones who make it a purely emotional/obsessive transaction, like I would have such a love and affection for the car that I just drove, that I simply can't walk away from it, if I don't like the deal they offer. Please... it's not like prime real estate inventory where if you see something you like and walk away or hesitate, it's GONE, especially in a hot market. Now the latter with real estate really is urgent and if you like a home and don't act now, consider it lost and it usually is. There are many more dealers to talk to in town, unless you live in a remote area of Wyoming, with more inventory of cars, even a hot Fusion!

Of course I've had 20 years of bad experiences with some salespeople, especially at Ford dealers, where I know more about a new model than they do, and they try make up stuff about features and specs... I must admit the level of ignorance is not as bad in recent years and I credit Ford for doing a better job training reps at auto shows and dealers. At the end of the day, they always trip up with me about a vehicle's features/specs. Now this comment does not apply to dealers on this forum, who are clearly more educated and enthusiastic about Ford products than the average rep.

Edited by hbalek

I love the sales people that say, "I really want you to have this car," as if he's doing me a favor by "letting" me buy the vehicle! LOL Or as much as I'm a car LOVER, the ones who make it a purely emotional/obsessive transaction, like I would have such a love and affection for the car that I just drove, that I simply can't walk away from it, if I don't like the deal they offer. Please... it's not like prime real estate inventory where if you see something you like and walk away or hesitate, it's GONE, especially in a hot market. Now the latter with real estate really is urgent and if you like a home and don't act now, consider it lost and it usually is. There are many more dealers to talk to in town, unless you live in a remote area of Wyoming, with more inventory of cars, even a hot Fusion!

Of course I've had 20 years of bad experiences with some salespeople, especially at Ford dealers, where I know more about a new model than they do, and they try make up stuff about features and specs... I must admit the level of ignorance is not as bad in recent years and I credit Ford for doing a better job training reps at auto shows and dealers. At the end of the day, they always trip up with me about a vehicle's features/specs. Now this comment does not apply to dealers on this forum, who are clearly more educated and enthusiastic about Ford products than the average rep.

understand where you are coming from...but beleive me, theres TWO sides to that story...for every "cheesy" sales pitch you have heard I can guarantee I could top every one with a customer experience...I cringe at the ones that come in "over-educated" from the internet....because apparently, everything posted on the web is TRUE....and, FYI, when you can memorize Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Fiesta, Transit Connect, Econoline, F-150, Superduty, Edge, Explorer, Expedition, used car inventory, rates, residuals, money factors and Rebates, get back to us and perhaps take it with a grain of salt when a sales person trips up regarding the SOLE vehicle you have researched....consider yourself told off for YOUR own ignorance.....touche!

Edited by Deanh

I love the sales people that say, "I really want you to have this car," as if he's doing me a favor by "letting" me buy the vehicle!

Big 10-4 on that one.

One of our smarmiest local dealers has a pretty simple sales pitch: He implies that he's doing you a favor by selling you a car.

Don't take my money and pretend you're doing me a favor.

Big 10-4 on that one.

One of our smarmiest local dealers has a pretty simple sales pitch: He implies that he's doing you a favor by selling you a car.

I remember one guy, true story, beltless checked pants, gravy train Moustache, slicked back hair, and yes Ray ban gold framed Aviator glasses, usually chein on a tothpick...name was ( ? ) John Diesel......

Big 10-4 on that one.

it is a favor Richard...saves you from Liver failure and a trip to the Doc for the penicillin prescription....

Edited by Deanh

Actually, the idea with selling a vehicle is to eliminate all resistance to the sale in the buyer's mind,

"Sir, what have we got to do to make this deal happen and get you into this vehicle?"

The salesperson is looking for a check list of problems he can overcome that prevent the sale,

once those problems are eliminated he therefore concludes that negotiation is done and you're buying a vehicle.

Edited by jpd80

Here are some reviews of the MKZ that I had not seen:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2013-lincoln-mkz-test-drive

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/15/test-drive-2013-lincoln-mkz/

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/lincoln/2013-lincoln-mkz-review-2482.html

The AutoGuide article is the most comprehensive and detailed review in my opinion. All three seem to agree that MKZ is a better choice than the Acura TL and Lexus ES.

That AG article is terrible.

The author is trying so hard to be funny I can just about hear the rimshots and see the flop sweat. It's like freakin' amateur night at the Cottonwood County 4H-Club.

Maybe so, but, but many of the details and observations are true from my experience with the car. He actually reviewed the car instead of writing off the top of his head like a lot of reviews do, and then just mention a few actual observations in passing. His mind was not already made up like a lot of reviewers, he actually went through every nook and cranny of the vehicle and gave his opinion on his findings.

Your review was better written, and you're not getting paid.

Thanks but Lincoln paid me! :-P Seriously, I like this comment below the article: I love lines like this from reviews on this site "The devil’s in the details and surprisingly for a domestic automaker Lincoln is paying attention to the little things" Can you do a better job of hiding your bias? Its 2013, not 1993 so it's time to let go of your tired prejudice against cars that are from domestic brands. In 2013 you find it "surprising" that a domestic model shows attention to detail? Really?

Something interesting in the Ford Q1 conference call:
Farley was really upbeat about MKZ sales this month, with a few selling days left in the month,
apparently there should be some impressive news to tell this month, sales are strong in California
and Hybrid sales are much higher than expected.. I guess we have to wait another week to find out.. :happy feet:

A couple notes, one of which jpd80 already addressed:

1. It appears that when there are MKZs to buy...people buy them in good numbers. We'll see just how good a week from now, but I think everyone can be happy that Farley's apparently happy.

2. Regarding "bias" against American luxury interiors...there's long been reason for said bias, as interiors were one of the ways that US luxury cars trailed those of the Germans and some of the Japanese offerings. When the history has been consistenly bad (it has) and it's remarked on...the situation is less bias and more "negative but accurate perception". Caddy and Lincoln both have made efforts to step up in this regard, but were coming from behind. It took Detroit way too long to even build seats that would secure a driver decently; Caddy and Lincoln were far more about the Barca-Lounger approach.

By being not-quite competent in the luxury field for so very long, US luxury cars will have to be very good going forward to shake the stigma. It may be all of 2020 before they're really options to most Benz/BMW fans.

• Like 1

Thanks Zan,

I think we can afford to be a little more upbeat with Lincoln, all Ford has to do is start building vehicles more people want to buy.

I'm hoping that Farley is right about MKZ sales and this spurs Ford onto greater and bolder things with coming Lincoln vehicles.

Edited by jpd80