Lincoln needs a farewell address, not a new marketing plan

Enjoy this David Kiley piece.

I have been saying for about two years now that the trouble with Ford's Lincoln brand is that no one cares about it any more. Okay, Lincoln dealers and some current and ex-Ford employees, some of those in the airport livery and hearse businesses care. That's not a business model, though. Ford is going to try and force Lincoln on China, I hear. The Chinese want Lincoln? I doubt that.

Essentially he argues that Lincoln can't be salvaged because it's Lincoln and the potential is non-existent. Uhuh

Edited by BORG

David Kiley piece?

Thanks for the heads up. Especially since it seems he doesn't even have to make a *pretense* of journalistic objectivity or adherence to real world data.

I'm not going to read it.

I'm only going to note this:

MKZ: 14 days to turn, hybrid: 7 days to turn

and this:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2008/12/ford_fusion_smo.html

"it didn’t seem to get full credit for having the first hybrid SUV on the market because it used some of Toyota’s patented technology"

and this:

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2008-09-03/the-65-mpg-ford-the-u-dot-s-dot-cant-have

"Despite the car's potential to transform Ford's image and help it compete with Toyota Motor and Honda Motor (HMC) in its home market, the company will sell the little fuel sipper only in Europe."

and ESPECIALLY THIS:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2008/10/gm_and_ford_bur.html

Kiley gets his facts wrong on a consistent basis, and his ability to gauge the future is even more suspect.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

Oh, what the hey, let's haul out one more for old time's sake:

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2006-07-09/trying-to-sharpen-jaguars-claws

Jag hasn't helped its image by foisting a $30,000 front-wheel-drive compact sedan, the X-Type, on the public.

and

the venerable British nameplate that has, alas, been owned by Ford Motor (F) since 1990

See what I mean about a *pretense* to journalistic objectivity?

And accuracy?

When his errors were pointed out to him, this is how he responded:

while it is true that the car comes with an all-wheel-drive system, most of the time the driver is driving with the front wheels because, it is, in fact, a front-drive car.

Which is even less accurate than his earlier remarks.

I can't believe that old brain fart is still around....

What to do?

• If Ford wants to compete in the premium-luxury space, the company ought to do it the right way. Make Lincoln – specifically the MKT crossover and MKS sedan – a livery brand only for airport fleets, funeral homes, etc. If some retail buyers want those vehicles too, God bless 'em.
  • Phase out the current MKZ and MKX. Make the Navigator an up-market Ford Expedition or Ford Navigator.
  • Launch a brand-new luxury brand as Toyota did with Lexus. If playing in the luxe space is required for future growth and profitability, then start from scratch with a clean sheet of paper with a brand name that can resonate and achieve legitimacy and relevance. Lexus achieved that in less than ten years.
  • Have the courage to walk away. Admit that no one, including God himself, could save Lincoln and make it profitable and relevant again. People aren't buying their underwear at JCPenney. They aren't renting videos at Blockbuster. And they aren't going to buy these Lincolns.

It's like Kiley trolled the internet forums on GMI and chose the most ludicrous options...

• Like 1

Nothing stirs the pot more these days than declaring the death and irrelevance of Lincoln. Look at the traffic his article is getting. Therefore, mission accomplished for Mr. Kiley and yet more reason to produce this way!

I don't know what it is about Lincoln, but it is absolutely despised by auto journalists and the public at large, it must be the herd/mob mentality. Somebody should do a study as to what makes Lincoln such a boilerplate issue. I think allot of that has to do with Caddy since Lincoln has completely ignored that path to fame and glory which is now translating to a big success story. It's also a symbol of the failure of an American icon and Ford's inability to fix it, or even attempt to do so without significant failures and setbacks. Or it could just be fatigue and despair, Lincoln has always been this terminal patient that just won't die and people are just tired of seeing the sickness fester. But I think the big issue is that Lincoln is taking a very measured and marginal approach to business that involves a familiar and uninspiring strategy of replicating lesser luxury makes like Acura and Lexus instead of Mercedes or BMW. Lincoln ultimately won't win hearts and minds until sales are rising, because the cars themselves aren't likely to do it as we are seeing with the critically unloved MKZ. And there is a perception that Lincoln's form of badge engineering is worse than the ones done by others, such as Audi, Lexus, and Caddy. And to pivot your entire company on a familiar product strategy is especially annoying to people who then think Lincoln isn't changing anything but its message.

Ultimately I really have no idea if Lincoln has a viable future, right now there is no reason to believe it does or doesn't, it's too early and I don't think we can assume anything yet until it has been applied fully. And it depends on the patience of the leadership and internal metrics, not to mention consistency of vision since Lincoln won't be fixed quickly at this rate of change. But Lincoln has attracted some a-list talent, either through money or inspiration, so that has to be worth something even if they are fumbling things lately. I wouldn't want to be part of something that might fail on my watch if I didn't think it could be saved.

Edited by BORG

If it was 'despised' by the public at large, Ford would've killed it.

The larger issue with Lincoln and the public is not *hatred* it's *apathy*.

With the public, I believe that's the case. That's a different challenge that has a similar solution, standout products.

marginal approach
the critically unloved MKZ.

It's not a marginal approach if it's the approach used in the best selling vehicles offered by every single 'up market' brand with the alleged exception of Audi and the definite exception of Infiniti (VW can say that the A4 does not 'share a platform' with any VW product, but I have doubts about that--the A4 and Passat have identical rear tracks. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the A4 is, under the skin, a shortened Passat with a custom engine cradle)

Who cares if the critics love the MKZ? Do Critics buy cars? They do not. Do they influence car buyers? Less and less these days.

Edited by RichardJensen

On different sites, I'm sensing a very small but vocal minority who are pushing a very specific agenda that MKZ is not good enough,

I's not enough that they are convinced by their own rhetoric, they try to poison the minds of those who may be potential Lincoln buyers

And these same people have the haughty opinion that they represent a so called vast audience of like minded buyers wanting something else.

Edited by jpd80

Who cares if the critics love the MKZ? Do Critics buy cars? They do not. Do they influence car buyers? Less and less these days.

On different sites, I'm sensing a very small but vocal minority who are pushing a very specific agenda that MKZ is not good enough,

I's not enough that they are convinced by their own rhetoric, they try to poison the minds of those who may be potential Lincoln buyers

And these same people have the haughty opinion that they represent a so called vast audience of like minded buyers wanting something else.

Exactly...shutting down Lincoln and starting up a new brand would be a giant waste of resources. Its not like Lincoln is beyond saving and as Ford has proven, even tarnished name plates like the Taurus, which was nothing more then a fleet whore in the 2000's can become successful players again.

I am waiting to see how the new products over the next few years play out before planning on attending the funeral. The right product together with the right marketing (must be consistent over time and product) can do wonders.

When an organization is in transition (as Lincoln has been for what, going on 10 years now) there will always be articles predicting upcoming demise. Even WardsAuto had an article earlier this month, "Is Lincoln Driving Down Mercury’s Path?" http://wardsauto.com/blog/lincoln-driving-down-mercury-s-path

Such articles do not mean it will happen, but when you fall down several times, the buzzards will start tio circle.

Edited by lfeg

MkZ currently has inventory at 8,900 cars, if they can shift them to dealers and buyers quick enough, maybe sales will surprise this month..

If they see 50%+ sales gains with MKZ, that would make some headlines for sure.

If they see 50%+ sales gains with MKZ, that would make some headlines for sure.

Should do because they only had two good selling weeks last month...

I hope it scores similar sales as ATS, that would prove a point to me..

Edited by jpd80

Should do because they only had two good selling weeks last month...

I hope it scores similar sales as ATS, that would prove a point to me..

Caddy also has 3 popular and modern sedans, Lincoln has the MKZ and the very unsuccessful MKS. So it should do better than the ATS since walking into a Lincoln showroom doesn't give you many options to begin with.

• Like 1

Heh...I came here expecting to be accused of writing the article. Glad that didn't happen, my responses would likely have cemented my place on Richard's s&&t list. Well, more.

The article is annoying, but...entirely wrong? No.

Lincoln is arguably more adrift than this time last year, as the whole "LINCOLN MOTOR COMPANY" advertising blitz went for a product delayed by months and the rest of the lineup does little to challenge for market space. I'm not saying the MKX isn't good or even that the MKZ won't be a solid seller eventually...but I keep coming back to product for the simple reason that it's kinda forgettable; the needed "splash" can't be found in the showroom. It's easy to see where perception gets hosed, here:

Navigator- needs the powertrain upgrade desperately, has been the Expedition's ugly sister with braces for years, now. When this generation came out, it was last in every performance category...and nothing has really been done about that to date. The Escalade, the GL class, and other big SUV/crossovers make better arguments for buyers. The Navi has...brand loyalty as its lone argument.

The MKS is in a similar situation. A loaded Taurus SHO is nearly as luxurious, arguably as handsome (or more handsome, honestly), and less expensive. Other luxury vehicles in this range can outclass the MKS in space, handling, every facet of performance, and are built by brands not suffering from buyer apathy and perception of boredom. See above under "brand loyalty". BMW's 5 series did better when the "Bangle Butt" polarized opinions. If Lincoln wants the MKS to really mean something, it has to be re-done and play at the front of this field, not the rear.

The MKT? Hell, I'm likely as close to a fan as the car has, and I'd buy a Flex first. This was a bizarre vehicle from the get-go...which its sales never did.

The MKX has been dogged its entire existence by the undeniable Edge resemblance. It's had some good sales months and some not so good, but it's one more crossover available with roughly 300 ponies that looks a few details different from its corporate cousin available with about 300 ponies.

The MKZ...well, is very pretty, very late, and mechanically a new chassis with nifty electronic dampers holds up a carryover V6, a new smaller engine as exotic as a Focus ST, and a slightly slower hybrid than last time...just as hybrids are catching flack for failing to deliver real-world mileage.

Lincoln has a ton of issues, chief among them that at their best, the products can sorta compete with the other "rebadges" from Honda and Toyota...but nothing in the luxury brand's portfolio does anything against the real, top luxury brand vehicles.

For the apathy to go away, Lincoln needs product that gets a LOT of positive attention, and has the ability to keep holding that attention. Right now, the other guys have more power, more panache, more gears, and are better at holding buyer attention. Hate on me repeating myself about Lincoln's lineup all you like, but good luck proving me to be "wrong".

• Like 2

Local dealer sold their first MKZ in less than a day. I saw yesterday morning they had received a new one, went to look at it after classes and it had a 'SOLD' sign it it. It's a pretty loaded machine, with the large dark wheels, 'panoramic roof' (Is that the opening one?). 52 000$ in the window (CAN $).

Salesman told me both weren't pre-ordered. They're supposed to have 4 arriving next week and they placed an order for 5 more. He says they never had that much MKZ on the lot at the same time since the first gen/Zephyr.

Edited by 92LX302

The MKZ is hardly apathy inducing. It's an alluring product for many reasons and Lincoln managed to do that mostly with design and a class exclusive retractable glass roof. And it is true that Lincoln simply needs to be able to communicate this to people so they look this way.

Edited by BORG

For the apathy to go away, Lincoln needs product that gets a LOT of positive attention, and has the ability to keep holding that attention. Right now, the other guys have more power, more panache, more gears, and are better at holding buyer attention. Hate on me repeating myself about Lincoln's lineup all you like, but good luck proving me to be "wrong".

Aaaaaand none of that has anything to do with the Lincoln vehicles that we already know are in the pipeline (or have just been introduced). The current lineup minus the MKZ (and even that wasn't a start-to-finish Lincoln effort due to timeframe restrictions related to its launch) is entirely irrelevant to any discussion about Lincoln's future, as they are obviously only remnants of Lincoln's past.

MKC is the first true "Lincoln" of the new Lincoln Motor Company, and most everything we've seen of it so far looks pretty impressive. They just need to make sure it launches smoothly. Might be a tall order, but all we can do is wait and see.

• Like 1