2014 Expedition

renovak

Eagerly awaiting news regarding the next model year Expedition. Wondering why Ford is being so quiet. If it's a redesign, why no spy photos? If it's not a redesign, but uses the 5.0 or an EcoBoost, why no testing photos from the track? This truck has a huge, quiet community eagerly awaiting news. Throw us a bone, Ford! Please :D At the very least, at least give us some assurance the truck isn't being killed off.

Eagerly awaiting news regarding the next model year Expedition. Wondering why Ford is being so quiet. If it's a redesign, why no spy photos? If it's not a redesign, but uses the 5.0 or an EcoBoost, why no testing photos from the track? This truck has a huge, quiet community eagerly awaiting news. Throw us a bone, Ford! Please :D At the very least, at least give us some assurance the truck isn't being killed off.

Given the early promo but miserable launch of the 2013 MKZ, Ford would be well advised to say nothing until the trucks are sitting on the dealer lots!

For the same reason they added those engines to the F150, which is probably doing even better than the beloved Expy anywhere you look. Why not make a good thing better?

It's all about return on investment. Ford (likely correctly) figures that new powertrains alone aren't going to contribute to any significant sales increases for Expedition or Navigator, so testing the engines and getting them certified for those vehicles probably isn't worth the effort or cost until they are ready to combine those changes with a more comprehensive redesign.

It's a bit of a Catch 22, since one of the reasons the Expy/Navi aren't selling so well is outdated powertrains, but those powertrains likely can't be affordably upgraded because sales are so low.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

For the same reason they added those engines to the F150, which is probably doing even better than the beloved Expy anywhere you look. Why not make a good thing better?

If you don't understand the difference between the Expedition and F150 regarding market share and sales volume then I can't help you.

Thanks for the smugness akirby. You must be completely correct. Why fit a better engine into the Expy when it's perfectly outdated with the 5.4? After all, that's what the public wants, yes? No need to explain the difference, sir, as I'm probably too stupid to understand it. Thanks for setting me straight.

oops

just realized I didn't say I was thinking primarily of the Navigator

I'm still hoping for a significant refresh THIS year

- new engines

- new tech (so 1/2 new interior)

- new grille

in fact

imho it's ok if as many of those changes as feasible were ONLY on the Navi

& the Expedition waited the 1½-2 years for the all-new F-150-based platform

Thanks for the smugness akirby. You must be completely correct. Why fit a better engine into the Expy when it's perfectly outdated with the 5.4? After all, that's what the public wants, yes? No need to explain the difference, sir, as I'm probably too stupid to understand it. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm not trying to be smug. I thought the answer was obvious so if it's not let me try again.

The F150 sells 500K - 600K per year. It's a cash cow. Losing market share represents a considerable loss of profit for Ford. Likewise, gaining market share represents a considerable increase in profit. The cost to develop and certify the new drivetrains can be spread out amongst 500K vehicles making the cost per vehicle low.

Contrast that to the Expedition which is low volume in a shrinking market. It's not going to drop dramatically without new engines and new engines are not going to dramatically increase sales. The cost per vehicle of new drivetrains is probably ten times that of the F150 because of the lower volume and therefore much harder to make up.

Also remember that the new expedition based on the new F150 is just around the corner so any investment in the current model is a throwaway.

There is also a potential issue with manufacturing volume of engines and transmissions - there may not be enough excess capacity to supply the Expy/navigator.

That's why it's completely obvious why they would do this in the F150 but not in the current Expedition.

It's a bit of a Catch 22, since one of the reasons the Expy/Navi aren't selling so well is outdated powertrains, but those powertrains likely can't be affordably upgraded because sales are so low.

What else do they still use the 5.4 in? Just the E-Series right? Once Transit arrives will the 5.4 still exist in the E-Series? There must be some inefficiency in building the 5.4 in low volume.

What else do they still use the 5.4 in? Just the E-Series right? Once Transit arrives will the 5.4 still exist in the E-Series? There must be some inefficiency in building the 5.4 in low volume.

By then, the new Expy/Navi will be pretty close to finally arriving. Until then, Ford likely has plenty of 5.4's amassed to cover their fullsize SUV production for a couple of years.

I believe I recall Ford stopping production of the 5.0 in North America several years prior to their no longer offering it in the Explorer.

Wow...I am slow. Thought it was still in the Super Duty, but nope! I 'spose when the E series and the Current Expy go, then that will be the end of the 5.4?

• Like 1

The full size Transit, to be sold as the Ford T-Series in the USA will replace the E-Series which is being killed.

• 1 month later...

Found at Ford-Trucks.com

2014 Expedition Overview

The 2014 Ford Expedition provides top-end towing capability of 9,200 pounds, spaciousness and power for those seeking a do-it-all full-size SUV. The independent multilink rear suspension adds comfort and roominess. The array of equipment groups offers a variety of comfort, convenience, capability and appearance options, as well as extended-length versions.

Key features include:
  • New available mechanical load-leveling system is quieter than outgoing air-based system
  • Up to 20 mpg highway from the flex fuel-capable 5.4-liter V8 engine and six-speed automatic transmission
  • Standard rear-wheel drive; four-wheel drive available
  • SYNC® system features USB or Bluetooth® connectivity and optional voice-activated navigation with HD Radio
  • 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels as well as dual-head-restraint DVD system available on Limited and King Ranch
  • Control Trac® 4WD provides sure-footed control on any road:
    • 2H (4x2) setting for normal, dry on-road driving
    • 4A (4x4 auto) setting for all on-road conditions
    • 4H (4x4) setting for slippery roads
    • 4L (4x4 low) setting for pulling a boat out of the water or at low speeds
  • PowerFold® third-row seats fold flat at the touch of a button, increasing cargo space up to a maximum 130.8 cubic feet in EL models
  • Standard trailer sway control, which uses selective braking and engine management to tame unwanted trailer movement
  • Integrated trailer brake controller available on XLT, standard on Limited and King Ranch
  • Ford’s leading safety and security features, including:
  • AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control
  • Safety Canopy® System side air curtain technology for all three rows
  • Dual-stage airbags for driver and front passenger
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring System
  • SOS Post-Crash Alert System
  • MyKey® programmable vehicle key allows parental controls on driving speed
  • SecuriCode keypad entry system
  • MSRP: TBA
  • Manufacturing location: Kentucky Truck Plant, Louisville, Ky

Full story and specs here:

Glossy PDF: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2014_Expedition.pdf