Whew.... Camaro not coming untill 2009 calendar year

igor

GM is so full of shit about the entire thing. I said 2009 at a minimum the day they mentioned it. They just have all the orphan Camaro owners already magazine racing Mustangs :finger: At least they have time to get that mullet grown properly.

Is it me or is the car smiling at me :lol:

Its laughing at people who think GM will execute this properly. Hell, they are already in love with an absolutely stupid looking concept car.

The styling looks like the same cookie cutter formula all design-student final exam pieces have. Giant wheels, no overhangs, unrealistic roof. The interior wont(and shouldn't) have any of that see production, and once the proportions are adjusted into reality, it will need to be restyled again. I would bet that GM farmed this out to a design school and didn't use internal stylists. It was made with no plan but to be rushed into the show circuit to have SOMETHING, now they are trying to figure out how to make it a 'reality'. The 03 show car for the Stang was actually a ruse, as the the car was already nearly completed.

Edited by kevinb120

Here is the media in a complete frenzy over a niche car that isn't coming out for another 3 years, but when Ford says they are launching 2 B-cars in 2008 and another before 2010 it's suddenly "too far in the future to help". WTF? :finger:

did Ford say they are bringing out 2 B cars in 2008 - OI thought they have been mum ever since they admitted killing the US bound EcoSport.

Just want to make sure I have my ducks (info) in order

Igor

did Ford say they are bringing out 2 B cars in 2008 - OI thought they have been mum ever since they admitted killing the US bound EcoSport.

Just want to make sure I have my ducks (info) in order

Igor

Was in the last Mark Fields interview I read a few weeks ago. He mentioned a total of at least 3 new B-cars/trucks by the end of the decade.

Good riddance to the EcoSport by the way. It was rather cheap-looking.

The Camaro will definitely sell and as usual, Chevy will have some strong V8s at its disposal. However, I believe this time around, Ford will be able to answer better with the Hurricane and the like. Challenger will be a big hit, too. I'm not so sure if all these projected sales needs will be able to be met. With escalading MSRPs on the V8 models, high insurance and soaring gas prices is there enough market to sustain three pony cars from three different manufacturers?

As long as DCX continues to sell their LX (future LY) cars, the Challenger probably won't have to sell the volume that Ford and Chevy will with a single product on the assembly line. Since DCX is the smaller of the three, they are really utilizing their resources to make things work...IF the public stays interested in their cars. Hopefully their current surpluses don't have negative long-term effects.

At least it looks different, rather than the Challenger which looks like they used the old body molds lol Although I agree, it looks like it's smiling at me, but with invertred eyebrows, and buck teeth...kinda like a devilish pre-teen boy in heat.

Exactly!!!! Makes you think of the image of the window decals of the little boy pissing on Ford, Dodge, etc.

The Camaro will definitely sell and as usual, Chevy will have some strong V8s at its disposal. However, I believe this time around, Ford will be able to answer better with the Hurricane and the like. Challenger will be a big hit, too. I'm not so sure if all these projected sales needs will be able to be met. With escalading MSRPs on the V8 models, high insurance and soaring gas prices is there enough market to sustain three pony cars from three different manufacturers?

As long as DCX continues to sell their LX (future LY) cars, the Challenger probably won't have to sell the volume that Ford and Chevy will with a single product on the assembly line. Since DCX is the smaller of the three, they are really utilizing their resources to make things work...IF the public stays interested in their cars. Hopefully their current surpluses don't have negative long-term effects.

I seen a newspaper article that said Chevrolet was expecting to sell about 100K a year. Dodge is not going to offer a V6 so they are going to be lower volume due to their pricing.

I think the Mustang will do just fine. ;)

Power by Chevy, styling by Pixar....

03sld1.jpg

You nailed that one dead on, Spark.

I've been telling people I work with all along, that the new Camaro looks like a caricature come to life.

Dictionary.com says:

"car·i·ca·ture:

A representation, especially pictorial or literary, in which the subject's distinctive features or

peculiarities are deliberately exaggerated to produce a comic or grotesque effect."

Your Pixar analogy confirms it.

Fortunately, the Mustang (and it appears Challenger) avoided this trap.

Thanks!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

The Camaro concept is gorgeous! My generation didn't grow up with the muscle cars of the past

1968 Camaro

and if our parents weren't into restoration the only camaro's we've had a chance to ride in were the fugly flat wide pointy '90 year models

95 Camaro

I personally see a lot of the current Corvette in the Camaro, and both seem to be influenced by Cadillac's edgy styling.

Edited by JM

Well, the Camaro-Pixar comparison is an interesting one, but one that could pay off. The Camaro has always played a second fiddle to the Mustang in terms of image. Mustang, as we know, is the original pony car and more iconic IMO. Camaro has also been in the background of the Corvette in its own stable.

The new, upcoming Camaro (if it resembles the concept) follows the trend in retro but does so with an animated appearance. There is some personality there in the car rather than just being cold steel and plastic. I suspect that the younger generation will find some appeal there, particularly the females. Heck, most youngins' have grown up on Pixar and pecular animated toy automobiles. Have you looked at a lot of the Hot Wheels cars these day? Plus, consider imports like the Evos and WRXs. Its a bit risky for GM to do this, but one that doesn't follow precisely the Ford path for Mustang nor the ultra-retro Challenger. Keep in mind that Camaro enthusiasts will likely embrace the car as long as it half-way resembles a Camaro. Consider all those that continue to buy outdated Silverados or the plain-jane Impalas and Malibus as personal vehicles. No, what GM is likely after are those cross-shopping and the Camaro could pull some over, especially with V6 models. Should be interesting.

As far as the engine selections. Chevy will have some seriously good engine options but probably Ford will too by the time the Camaro gets to market and gets its feet wet. Challenger will work great simply because the corporate demand for higher volume will be less with it sharing with the 300 and Charger.

Edited by Traveler