Ford to offer free updates to boost hybrid vehicle efficiency

chuckokie36

DEARBORN, Michigan (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co will offer free updates to its hybrid vehicles to improve their fuel economy, a company executive said Tuesday.

Among the improvements, Ford plans to increase the maximum all-electric speed on those vehicles from 62 miles per hour to 85, according to Raj Nair, vice president of global product development.

Owners of about 77,000 Ford hybrid vehicles in the United States and Canada will be offered the upgrades free of charge.

• Like 4

Increasing the maximum pure electric speed to 85 mph from 62 mph, allowing increased use of electric-only mode on the highway
Optimizing the use of Active Grille Shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag under more driving and temperature conditions including cold weather, during air conditioner use and when the engine coolant temperature is higher
Reducing the electric fan speed as a function of coolant temperature to minimize the fan's energy consumption
Shortening engine warm-up time by up to 50 percent to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts
Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioning compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation

Awesome! Our ECU update is here. Hopefully those grills stay shut on cold days :)

Hmmm, definitely intriguing ... I always wondered why the Hybrids can only go up to 65 MPH in EV while the Energi can go up to 85. Some said it was the transmission, etc.

I assumed it was a mechanical/electrical limit and that 62 mph was pushing it to the limit since other mfrs were still down in the 40s. Very strange.

I thought the Hybrid and Energi have different final ratios... I'm always getting in the 50s with my Energi when in all hybrid mode just by following the "EV until 10 mph, then force on gas engine, then use EV to hold speed." Lots of pulsing and gliding on the highway. So maybe this max speed thing will really help.

• Like 1

I am really glad for the software upgrade, thats great and i hope it helps not just the mpg but the change from hybrid to engine to sound smoother. i do have quite a bit of pulsing on the highway too and loud engine whine when not in ev mode.. The transmission evct seems to control the switch between hybrid and engine and makes the engine sound like its running high whenever its in engine mode. Does anyone else hear this too and can explain this? It is my first hybrid so maybe this is normal and I am not used to it. By the way I get 37.8mpg so far but only 900 miles in it so far.

I've got 37.6 lifetime so far. It's taken 2 weeks to get there from 37.5. My avg per tank from resetting trip meter is about 40 this summer depending how hard the ac runs. I'm looking forward to the update, because my winter mpg was much lower.

As for whine, it sounds like the radiator fan has a bad ball bearing but my dealer's service folks say its normal.

This is my first hybrid and the engine certainly doesn't have that throaty exhaust roar of cars past. It sounds more like an asthmastic nerd, but I'm getting used to it, and even just 40 mpg more than makes up for it.

I love the handling and the interior is very comfortable. Very happy with the car.

• Like 1

I eagerly called me local dealer yesterday regarding this update and they indicated that I could bring the vehicle into the shop for service. This morning, I dropped off my 2013 FFH at the dealer. A few minutes later the dealership service person called and stated that they didn't have instructions from Ford yet on how to perform the update. The customer service person told me that vehicle owners would get a letter in the mail regarding the update and that it should be available in late July. Thanks a lot for my waste of a trip. What an abortion.

Edited by kzooguy1981

The below item just showed up on the list of service actions when looking up my VIN in Etis (I assume this is related to the update that is subject of this thread)... searched the site for TSBs and nothing showed up yet, though maybe I am not using the right keyword(s).

Outstanding Field Service Actions

13B07 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) CALIBRATION

The below item just showed up on the list of service actions when looking up my VIN in Etis (I assume this is related to the update that is subject of this thread)... searched the site for TSBs and nothing showed up yet, though maybe I am not using the right keyword(s).

Outstanding Field Service Actions

13B07 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) CALIBRATION

I have it as well... Interesting...

Hi guys,

New to this forum although I've done my share of waffling on the FF+H facebook page.

Mine went in for its 10,000 mile service today. It was supposed to be Saturday, but they told me it there would be a lot to do and that if I could come back Monday they would cover a rental.

They called me this afternoon and said the basic stuff (including the update) was done but there were some of the recall issues still to check and that I probably won't have it back until late tomorrow or Wednesday morning, and that they would cover the rental as long as necessary.

Anyway, once it is safely back in my hands I will be doing some tests!

Simon

• Like 1

Got it back this morning, so the dealer had it four days. In fairness, they covered a rental and the service was comped, so cost me nothing (bar the $11 a day I paid for a waiver on the rental car).

My drive from the dealer to work was mostly freeway - traffic was heavy so it wasn't the most fluid drive, but I had no problem getting into EV mode at 75MPH.

Trip was about 19 miles, AC running the whole way, the car claimed 43.5MPG, so probably more like 42.5MPG based on past experience.*

Filled her up on the way home and reset the counters, will report back next time I fill up.

Simon

*My car says its lifetime average is 41.0, fuelly says 40.0