refreshed '14 Navigator?

Over at Ford Inside News there's much discussion about a refreshed Navigator for 2014 to hold down the fort before the all-new 2016 MkN debuts. Supposedly the '14s will have all new interiors, powertrains, and revised front & rear styling. Will the '14 take on the split wing grille? Here's my crude chop. Reminds me of my old '96 Explorer that was kinda curvy up front but attached to the first generation overly square body.

14navi2.jpg

Edited by jesster1228

I would guestimate if the designer really wanted to make an impact, many of the lines that make the vehicle, boxy need to be addressed. The "patch over opening" doors, lufh window pillars around. Higher window/belt line. I'm picturing more of a Range Rover treatment/approach to the greenhouse. Drop an inch of clearance and fill those wheel wells up.

I'm confident they won't try a grafted-on MKZ nose on the MCE'd Navigator (which has been on again, off again more than a 7th grade romance). The low chin, rising swoop of Wolf's take on the split wing just doesn't translate to a class of vehicle with a completely vertical front end...

linclt.jpg

I do not think the egg-crate grille it currently has helped any. I think the current face is about the ugliest it's ever been. I feel a step back was taken in styling when that, and it's current interior was introduced. I liked the more cohesive designed of the previous design.

I do not think the egg-crate grille it currently has helped any. I think the current face is about the ugliest it's ever been. I feel a step back was taken in styling when that, and it's current interior was introduced. I liked the more cohesive designed of the previous design.

I agree completely. Let's just wait and see what they come up with. The only reason some think the split wing won't work on a large vehicle is because it hasn't been done well yet. Remember that the Mark LT grille wasn't done by the current design team and their inputs on the MKS and MKT were minimal at best.

The problem with the current grille is that it's so flat and has no dimension. I like the inspiration of the 60s Continental but wish they had done something more like the original MKX:

:14navi3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My infatuation with a refreshed Navi continues:

navi3.jpg

There's something that feels a bit "Olds Bravada" about that to me... Anyone else see that?

I think it's going to be really hard to marry the current Lincoln grille scheme to SUV's, and I look forward to seeing how they do it. I would like to see the logo panel in the front become more beak-like and do a reverse slant, but I think that would cause pedestrian impact problems. However, BMW does a bit of a similar slant right now so it might be possible. I wouldn't mind if Lincoln had separate auto and SUV design themes that harkened back to each other but weren't identical. I think the current motif suffers somewhat on the MKT and, to a lesser extent, the MKX.

I also think the Lincoln logo is a problem, frankly (wasn't there a thread about this some time ago elsewhere?). It's a VERY vertical logo that somewhat hamstrings designers as to how they can implement it on front and back panels, as well as elsewhere. I was looking at a pre-refresh MKS in a parking lot the other day, and it has that HUGE Lincoln logo plastered on before the front doors on the side and it looked terrible. If Caddy can constantly tinker and refresh their logo, so can Lincoln. I would love to see a modern variant of one of the classic logos with a more symmetric, less vertical Lincoln star in a symmetric box. It would really free-up the designers somewhat in my opinion to do different things with the front and rear looks while giving the make a more fresh graphic design identity...

Absolutely agree. That said, I don't think it's totally unattractive.

In its day, I actually like the Bravada quite a bit, so, ah, bravo! I wish I had your (or any) photoshop skills at all. I'd be 'shopping cars all day and never getting any work done...