Ford plans to improve hybrids' mpg with software changes

bilk, they can turn on the DRL's if you want them for sure. All MKZ 2013's have the option. Not all service people are clued in. Got my mpg fix also done today so I'm lloking forward to see how it does as I hover just above the magic 61 on the highway, so it should help.

Thanks everyone for your feedback regarding the 85.05 software update to the 2013 MkZ Hybrid, 203A, retractable panoramic roof. I updated the powertrain software last week on August 1st. At the time I had 750 miles on the car. I estimate average Highway MPG was about 34 mpg at that time (guesstimate). City MPG was about 37 mpg (guesstimate). Lifetime MPG was 29 mpg as reported by the car. Last 30 min Average MPG was 34.2 mpg.

After the update, I tested fuel efficiency on the highway on two 450 mile trips return trips from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, FL. After 900 miles of testing this is what I have found.

1. The car did NOT ever enter into Electric Drive mode over 62 mph as promised. This was regardless of weather A/C was on or off, windows were open or closed, or whether I carried cargo or not. I weigh 205 lbs.
  2. My average highway fuel efficiency was 35 mpg with A/C on and 37 mpg A/C off. No passengers.
  3. I reported the results to Lincoln. Lincoln's written response to my local dealer indicated that the update is NOT expected to yield significant improvements to MPG.
  4. Lifetime mpg is now 33 mpg.

Carlton

Edited by carlton4270

Carlton sounds like the update may have not been done properly then. You should bring it back.:

Something to share with your service dept's tech so that your PCM update works on the 1st try:

I was able to talk to the tech that did the PCM recalibration on my FFH yesterday (both times). He said that he read the Ford bulletin re-programming instructions 5 times before he figured out what the problem was. He indicated that while technicians know how to reprogram the IDS, they likely are just doing what they know to do. The bulletin in this case, though, clearly states that they must have Version 85.05 for the reprogramming to work correctly. Once he updated the IDS with the correct version, the recalibration worked like a charm.

Edited by xgman

bilk, they can turn on the DRL's if you want them for sure. All MKZ 2013's have the option. Not all service people are clued in. Got my mpg fix also done today so I'm lloking forward to see how it does as I hover just above the magic 61 on the highway, so it should help.

I asked about the running lights but got a line of how they can not do it, not on the car, etc so I let it go for now. I guess the car was upgraded correctly but until I take it out and run the car over 70 and see it go into the EV mode I will not know. Anyone know a way to check what software version I have on the car ? I did get the letter from Lincoln today around this upgrade but of course mine should be done

My initial impression of the software update is that it seems to be geared towards over 60 driving and to me it looks like the length of time it stays in electric mode at slower speeds has been shortened. Maybe just in my head, but it seemed that when I was barely pressing on the gas at around 30-50 mph on straight or downhill, I had to keep letting the gas pedal up to get the eclectric to come on at all which I didn't remember it being so fussy before the patch. That said, short trips seem much worse than before so far, but a 40 mile mostly 60+ drive clocked in at 47 mpg today, so I guess it will even out.

BILK: If you want the DRL's, INSIST with that dealer or try another. Have them call the Ford/Lincoln rep. It CAN be done. Already done many times. It make me mad for you that your dealer stonewalled you!

Edited by xgman

Xgman,

After raising little hell with Ford and my local dealer. The local Service Dept. manager agreed to go on the highway with me for a test drive. I insisted that he drive and that he prove to me that the software update was successfully installed and that the vehicle was operating accordingly. Specifically, I challenged him to prove to me that the vehicle was capable of entering into EV mode above 62 mph as promised.

Needless to say, the Service Manager could NOT get my MKZ hybrid into EV mode above 62 mph even though the 85.05 version of the software was installed.

After careful reflection, my guess is that the car has had an electrical fault from day one. A bad battery, for example, which never charges up enough to reliably support EV mode over 62 mph?

I have noticed my battery has never charged above 50-55% and is usually around 35-40%. Just an uneducated guess...

I also suspect that this fault may be affecting my overall fuel economy. City AND highway.

Any thoughts?

My initial impression of the software update is that it seems to be geared towards over 60 driving and to me it looks like the length of time it stays in electric mode at slower speeds has been shortened. Maybe just in my head, but it seemed that when I was barely pressing on the gas at around 30-50 mph on straight or downhill, I had to keep letting the gas pedal up to get the eclectric to come on at all which I didn't remember it being so fussy before the patch. That said, short trips seem much worse than before so far, but a 40 mile mostly 60+ drive clocked in at 47 mpg today, so I guess it will even out.

BILK: If you want the DRL's, INSIST with that dealer or try another. Have them call the Ford/Lincoln rep. It CAN be done. Already done many times. It make me mad for you that your dealer stonewalled you!

So just got my software update on Wed. Took it out on the Freeway at speeds from 65 to 80 mph. One thing I noticed right away was that on the empower setting which shows how much battery power is available with a blue outline the outline bar never grew. Now this is different at lower speeds where the outline bar does grow, until such point where it overcomes the ICE and then the electric motor kicks on. I do know the software update was performed correctly for when I applied the brake and slowed down to say 70 mpg the electric motor would kick on but only while braking or coasting. It appears that the RPM required for the car to go 65 or above on a flat surface road is to strenuous for the electric motor to kick on. I would appreciate some of you checking this out on your hybrids and letting me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tanner

Xgman,

After raising little hell with Ford and my local dealer. The local Service Dept. manager agreed to go on the highway with me for a test drive. I insisted that he drive and that he prove to me that the software update was successfully installed and that the vehicle was operating accordingly. Specifically, I challenged him to prove to me that the vehicle was capable of entering into EV mode above 62 mph as promised.

Needless to say, the Service Manager could NOT get my MKZ hybrid into EV mode above 62 mph even though the 85.05 version of the software was installed.

After careful reflection, my guess is that the car has had an electrical fault from day one. A bad battery, for example, which never charges up enough to reliably support EV mode over 62 mph?

I have noticed my battery has never charged above 50-55% and is usually around 35-40%. Just an uneducated guess...

I also suspect that this fault may be affecting my overall fuel economy. City AND highway.

Any thoughts?

That is an interesting observation and may be somewhat applicable to my concern. My battery does charge past half way, in fact I have seen it all the way full, but when going highways speeds what I have seen is the the electric engine kicks on(evidenced by the electricity down arrow on the battery) rather than charging up enough to fully take over the speed of the car.

39 MPG is a 3 MPG improvement on a vehicle that should be getting 45 MPG?

Unbelievable.

Really? Really? Are that still that clueless on EPA ratings after the thousands of lines of posts on this forum trying to clarify it for you? It is not that it "should be getting 45 MPG". Geez, dude!

• Like 1

This car doesn't get 45 mpg even in a bizaro world. Well not on average anyway. The last MKZ 2012 hybrid I had was able to achive above the rated mkz. I drive this car the exact same way and the best I can average over time is 43. Still nice, but not the rated. I can hit 47 or so on carefully driven one way trips, but that paces is impossible to maintain. As far as the new patch, I don't see any real chnage in my average. I think the system is very stingy about allowing EV mode for fear of quickly draining the battery. I guess a few more years of this tech amnd things will improve.

Just got my update so will see how it goes. Service guy is kind of hard to speak with but it sounded like they installed the latest software update and he mentioned something 86. something for the number ? And it was under some sort of consumer satisfaction bulletin - One thing he told me is there was no way to turn on daytime running lights as the car did not have them - I did not argue the point as it is not a big deal. I guess now I need to take the car out on the interstate and run it around 70 to see if it jumps into EV mode in order to see if the update happened, not sure how else to tell. Is there a place to get the software version, like with a PC ?

Let me put this Daytime Running Light issue to bed once and for all. I took delivery of a 2013 Ford SE C-MAX 2 weeks ago. The selling Dealership was instructed by me to make sure that they activated /enabled the DRL`s before I took Delivery of the Vehicle. Again, the same BS. The Service Manager at this Ford Dealership in Brevard County FL said they tried and it was simply no longer possible to activate through the IDS Programmer and the Body Control Module. A week later I went to a Ford Dealership in Palm Beach County , FL. They went a step further, they contacted the Ford Tech Support Center and sent me their reply. It basically stated that (no) 2013 Ford Vehicles that were (not) equipped with Daytime Running Lights at point of manufacture, (Fleet Option #942/ $45) or Vehicles that were shipped for Canadian Registration can have the DRL activated/enabled, period, case closed, end of story! Also, attempting to do so (could) be in violation of the MVTSS, Motor Vehicle Traffic Safety Statute! Would not that make US Spec Vehicles that were Fleet Ordered with a valid "FIN" also in violation of the same law? Contacted a third Ford Dealership that shall remain unnamed. They sell at lot of Ford Vehicles to Vacationing Canadians! Asked if they could pull the Rabbit out of the Magic Hat? 1 hour later and a charge of $100 and guess what. As it says in the scriptures, "Let there be Light". They DRL`s (can) be activated/enabled. Not sure if its a software patch, a special program code or what (but), it can be done. Why Ford just doesn`t allow DRL`s to be a retail stand alone option like it offers Fleet Buyers or permit the Consumer to have them activated at point of delivery for a labor charge is beyond stupidity. If it was`nt that I`ve been a loyal Ford owner for decades, I`d look elsewhere for my next Vehicle due to their stubbornness.

• Like 1

That is an interesting observation and may be somewhat applicable to my concern. My battery does charge past half way, in fact I have seen it all the way full, but when going highways speeds what I have seen is the the electric engine kicks on(evidenced by the electricity down arrow on the battery) rather than charging up enough to fully take over the speed of the car.

Tanner, thanks for your reply. Perhaps some other experts online may be able to clarify a point based upon your reply. Currently your center console should clearly indicate a few driving modes: Electric Drive (Electric Motor Only); Hybrid Drive (Gas Engine + Electric); and some other scenarios where the High Voltage battery is charging, etc.. The electric motor should be on virtually ALL the time, I believe. The GAS engine, on the other hand, kicks in or out, for various reasons including acceleration, HV battery charging, high speed, etc..

I agree that the battery health, and battery level, may be my problem and yours. The dealer has now had my car for over two weeks total. They have been working with Ford. As of today, hey still cannot figure out how to make the update work. Still no EV mode over 62 mph.

Carlton

So just got my software update on Wed. Took it out on the Freeway at speeds from 65 to 80 mph. One thing I noticed right away was that on the empower setting which shows how much battery power is available with a blue outline the outline bar never grew. Now this is different at lower speeds where the outline bar does grow, until such point where it overcomes the ICE and then the electric motor kicks on. I do know the software update was performed correctly for when I applied the brake and slowed down to say 70 mpg the electric motor would kick on but only while braking or coasting. It appears that the RPM required for the car to go 65 or above on a flat surface road is to strenuous for the electric motor to kick on. I would appreciate some of you checking this out on your hybrids and letting me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tanner

It seems your update may NOT be performing as intended. The performance you are describing, when you brake and slow down to 70 mph seems to be your HV battery CHARGING through braking/coasting, and NOT the vehicle entering Electric Drive mode. You can verify this on the center touch screen if you like. The update is intended to facilitate sustained Electric Drive mode at speeds over 62 mph where conditions permit - not merely charging the HV battery as it appears your car is doing while braking or slowing down/coasting.

Let me put this Daytime Running Light issue to bed once and for all. I took delivery of a 2013 Ford SE C-MAX 2 weeks ago. The selling Dealership was instructed by me to make sure that they activated /enabled the DRL`s before I took Delivery of the Vehicle. Again, the same BS. The Service Manager at this Ford Dealership in Brevard County FL said they tried and it was simply no longer possible to activate through the IDS Programmer and the Body Control Module. A week later I went to a Ford Dealership in Palm Beach County , FL. They went a step further, they contacted the Ford Tech Support Center and sent me their reply. It basically stated that (no) 2013 Ford Vehicles that were (not) equipped with Daytime Running Lights at point of manufacture, (Fleet Option #942/ $45) or Vehicles that were shipped for Canadian Registration can have the DRL activated/enabled, period, case closed, end of story! Also, attempting to do so (could) be in violation of the MVTSS, Motor Vehicle Traffic Safety Statute! Would not that make US Spec Vehicles that were Fleet Ordered with a valid "FIN" also in violation of the same law? Contacted a third Ford Dealership that shall remain unnamed. They sell at lot of Ford Vehicles to Vacationing Canadians! Asked if they could pull the Rabbit out of the Magic Hat? 1 hour later and a charge of $100 and guess what. As it says in the scriptures, "Let there be Light". They DRL`s (can) be activated/enabled. Not sure if its a software patch, a special program code or what (but), it can be done. Why Ford just doesn`t allow DRL`s to be a retail stand alone option like it offers Fleet Buyers or permit the Consumer to have them activated at point of delivery for a labor charge is beyond stupidity. If it was`nt that I`ve been a loyal Ford owner for decades, I`d look elsewhere for my next Vehicle due to their stubbornness.

Sorry to hear you're having issues getting DRL enabled . Some of us got ours done and for free .

I`m okay with the $100 charge to activate/enable the DRL`s on my new 2013 C-MAX. First, if I could have ordered the Daytime Running Lights as an Option available for Fleet Only Purchase it would have been $45 for option Code # 942 / DRL`s. Secondly, it was (not) the Dealership I purchased the Vehicle from. My 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback that I traded in for the C-MAX had the DRL`s activated/enabled by a Ford Dealer in the Key`s and the Electrical Tech took 10 minutes to reprogram the BCM with his IDS Programmer. That Dealership charged me nothing and I gave the Service Tech $20 as a Tip for doing me the favor. Things are a bit different I guess in "Margaritaville".

This car doesn't get 45 mpg even in a bizaro world. Well not on average anyway. The last MKZ 2012 hybrid I had was able to achive above the rated mkz. I drive this car the exact same way and the best I can average over time is 43. Still nice, but not the rated. I can hit 47 or so on carefully driven one way trips, but that paces is impossible to maintain. As far as the new patch, I don't see any real chnage in my average. I think the system is very stingy about allowing EV mode for fear of quickly draining the battery. I guess a few more years of this tech amnd things will improve.

Hopefully. Good luck to you.

Tanner,Xgman, all,

I finally have some encouraging news to report. I got my MKZ Hybrid back from the dealer on Tuesday. So far it appears freeway mpg has improved by about 3.5 mpg (10%) since the update. City mpg seems around the same. I will be testing thoroughly this weekend. The fact is, however, the software update was not successfully done initially, as I had argued for over a week. Ford tried to fight me on this initially, giving me a story about driving conditions, driver habits, etc..

The fact is, as indicated in my previous posts, the software update did not have the impact on the powertrain which it was designed to have.

I understand that to finally resolve the issue, after two weeks in the service shop, Ford had to compare the config on my Mkz Hybrid with the config on a an Mkz which was performing appropriately post update.

All seems to be going well now. I will update you all next week.

I love my 2013 Lincoln MkZ Hybrid. On the other hand, Lincoln Motor Co has some work to do in the area of diagnostics, listening to customer discussion and feedback, and communicating with dealers.

Carlton

• Like 1

Ford tried to fight me on this initially, giving me a story about driving conditions, driver habits, etc..

Gotta love the "blame the victim" mentality. Glad you are seeing an improvement though. What were you seeing prior to the improvement?

driving habits is a definite factor in achieving/not achieving EPA numbers in the real world ....

when my wife drives the car, she averages in the mid-high 30s where as when I drive it, I average in the mid 40s

everyone is different ..... EPA numbers reflect what the car is capable of, not of what any specific driver is going to realize.

Geez ....

• Like 1

driving habits is a definite factor in achieving/not achieving EPA numbers in the real world ....

when my wife drives the car, she averages in the mid-high 30s where as when I drive it, I average in the mid 40s

everyone is different ..... EPA numbers reflect what the car is capable of, not of what any specific driver is going to realize.

Geez ....

Interesting. What is the difference between what the two of you do?

Geez ....

jschmitt3,

STOP IT!!

JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Here you go AGAIN, ruining yet another "discussion" of the MKZ's obviously fraudulent EPA mileage claims.

You say: "driving habits is a definite factor in achieving/not achieving EPA numbers in the real world ...."

Total BS!

You are so full of BS!

Pretty soon you'll be claiming that the EPA mileage metric is intended to allow comparison of the mileage potential of different vehicles.

I am on to you!

karl

• Like 2

Karl - what are you talking about ?

are you kidding me or are you serious ....?

<not sure>

:-)

jschmitt3,

STOP IT!!

JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Here you go AGAIN, ruining yet another "discussion" of the MKZ's obviously fraudulent EPA mileage claims.

You say: "driving habits is a definite factor in achieving/not achieving EPA numbers in the real world ...."

Total BS!

You are so full of BS!

Pretty soon you'll be claiming that the EPA mileage metric is intended to allow comparison of the mileage potential of different vehicles.

I am on to you!

karl