LINCOLN MKZ RANKED MOST APPEALING COMPACT PREMIUM CAR IN APEAL

But some are just fine with doing that.

Nobody here is doing that. Nobody here says there is anything wrong with the Avalon/ES or Impala/XTS sharing a platform because they are differentiated just like the Fusion and MKZ.

Selling carbon copies of the same car with little differentiation is bad (see 06 Fusion/Milan/Zephyr) because it adds unnecessary cost and complexity.

You and V8-X seem to think that the platform IS the car, therefore cars that share platforms are the same. But you are in the minority when it comes to luxury car buyers. Most buyers care about exterior and interior styling, paint, leather, wood, gadgets, service, etc. They don't know or care about the platform - all they care about is how it looks and feels and how it drives.

Let's compare the Fusion and a v6 MKZ:

The same:

floorpan, wiring, pcm, spare tire (guess), fuse box, battery, wiper motor, keyless entry/start

Different

roof, doors, fenders, quarter panels, trunk, hood, headlights, taillights, bumpers, wheels, suspension, glass, engine, transmission, mirrors

seats, cooled seats, stereo (THX), carpet, center console, shifter, steering wheel, door panels, dash, gauge cluster, center stack, wood trim, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, automatic trunk, headliner

If you just compare the MKZ to other luxury cars without worrying about the platform it compares very favorably and that's all that matters.

You and V8-X seem to think that the platform IS the car, therefore cars that share platforms are the same.

I don't think that at all.

By that insinuation, I think that the Taurus and the Flex are the exact same. Sorry, but I don't believe that. I also don't have an issue with platform sharing, unless the platform is garbage.

because the Fusion/MKZ are practically identical cars under the sheet metal, minus some upgrades for the MKZ,

"minus some upgrades" — easy for you to say, but now, let's LOOK at what those words mean:

Lots of Lincoln-specific small parts and large glass roof parts, with more parts in an MKZ plus the V-6 powertrain and the active suspension. They all have to be designed and built, to build an MKZ, and this component difference of look and quality (leather, door glass, etc.) turns the basic Ford platform into a Lincoln. :)

Ok, so lets see you guys criticize the MKZ without mentioning the fusion or platform sharing. Pretend the fusion and mondeo don't exist. What's wrong with it?

Not taking that bait. But I will say that aside from some of the minor issues with the MKZ, it's problems stem more from the brand that's selling it. Lincoln is just not in the same realm of circles as the big names. It will take a long time to get Lincoln where people take them seriously.

• Like 1

I don't think that at all.

By that insinuation, I think that the Taurus and the Flex are the exact same. Sorry, but I don't believe that. I also don't have an issue with platform sharing, unless the platform is garbage.

Then why the hell even bring it up? Why even BOTHER comparing the Fusion to the MKZ when in no discernible or meaningful way are they the same? It's precisely to attach a negative connotation to it. If VX-8 or you do not have a problem with an ES/Avalon or Infiniti/Nissan, etc...then there's NO REASON to even bring up that they share a platform.

• Like 2

Not taking that bait. But I will say that aside from some of the minor issues with the MKZ, it's problems stem more from the brand that's selling it. Lincoln is just not in the same realm of circles as the big names. It will take a long time to get Lincoln where people take them seriously.

LMAO. "Not taking that bait." You mean "I can't create a defensible argument under those conditions because I really do mean "tarted up" and "platform sharing" as a negative."

• Like 1

here we go again...

It all boils down to degree of differentiation, we know that this MKZ was locked in when Ford decided to rejuvenate

Lincoln so it's not really a full example of the direction Ford want Lincoln to proceed with added differentiation.

Look at MKC versus Escape and tell me Ford isn't getting better at this..

It also begs the question of what Luxury means to different people, to some it's an exclusive product,

to others it's little more than a fashion accessory to be seen in..

Edited by jpd80

Also note that the dictionary does not deem it a compliment--M-W would be vastly overstepping their authority to make such a declaration.

The point is, if you consider the LaCrosse to be a 'tarted up' Malibu, the ES to be a 'tarted up' Avalon, etc., and that you don't consider the phrase to be insulting, then what evidence do you have of this? Perhaps a card that you gave your wife, saying how nice she looked, all tarted-up for a night on the town.

So you are correct and MW is wrong? Sorry, I'll side with MW, they've been classifying definitions much longer than all of us.

Those models you stated are on point with the tarted up reference. And why would or should I have to prove anything to you? You are simply some individual poster on a forum I frequent from time to time that has no impact on on my life or day to day world. Your opinion differs from mine, which is okay, we are all granted such. But your opinion or personal definition doesn't matter in my world and doesn't require me to try and validate my reasoning and reasoning for such a phrase as "tarted-up".

But some are just fine with doing that.

As they always do. I like Ford, a lot, but will call a spade a spade. I'm not going to criticize one manufacturer for doing something then look the other way when Ford or another brand I prefer does the same.

Ok, so lets see you guys criticize the MKZ without mentioning the fusion or platform sharing. Pretend the fusion and mondeo don't exist. What's wrong with it?

Other than some fit/finish and initial quality issues, I have not heard of any issues.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 2

see, now that I can agree with, but Lincoln is a work on progress...baby steps, and the Z is so far the BIGGEST step...and seriously I have to ask....what exactly is wrong with utilizing the Fusions platform?....by saying that are you saying the Fusions platform sucks...because it definitely doesnt, one of the best out there....

So you are correct and MW is wrong? Sorry, I'll side with MW, they've been classifying definitions much longer than all of us.

And why would or should I have to prove anything to you?

M-W provides connotative information only on the rarest of occasions. Their definition of 'tarted up' is denotative in the extreme. Contrast their definition with AHC3, which defines 'tart' thus: "To dress up or make fancy in a tawdry garish way." And to further that point, please tell your wife that she looks tarted up and see if she accepts it as a compliment.

If you want connotative info, you should not look to M-W.

--

"Why would I prove anything to you?"

Out of respect for logical and coherent discourse. The principle that I will tell you what I think and why I think it. That I won't insist that you accept something strictly on my own say-so.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

It's not hypothetical: What's wrong with the MKZ apart from the shared platform?

Quality control issues aside, the MKZ's main demerits for me when I drove one at a Ford sponsored event earlier this year were outward visibility, controls, interior space utilization, seat comfort, and programming for the semi-active suspension system.

• Like 1

Quality control issues aside, the MKZ's main demerits for me when I drove one at a Ford sponsored event earlier this year were outward visibility, controls, interior space utilization, seat comfort, and programming for the semi-active suspension system.

Oh, so it was largely a question of personal preference, then? As 'controls', 'seat comfort' and 'suspension' are all areas where reasonable people may have different yet equally valid opinions. And weren't the objections to 'interior space utilization' and 'outward visibility' due to a piece of optional equipment?

Edited by RichardJensen