Why buy an Escape?

V8-X

Okay, the wife is in the market for a new vehicle. Her only requirements are small CUV or mid-size sedan, AWD, light tan/grey interior, cloth seats (she hates leather) and 20+ mpgs city (rarely does she drive on the highway). She's not into all the techie stuff, but does want Bluetooth and possibly a back-up camera if available. She'd also prefer higher seating, so more than likely going the CUV route.

She has narrowed down her selection to the following: Mazda CX-5, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Rogue and Ford Escape. Too many vehicles and reasons to provide describing why certain vehicles were excluded. We've driven each (some multiple times) and here are some of her initial impressions.

Mazda CX-5 - Likes the sporty handling of the drive. Exterior style is not exciting but liveable. Interior materials appear nice, but layout and overall interior style is liked least of the four vehicles. Currently tied for 2nd on her list.

Subaru Legacy - Best ride of the group (most likely due to the sedan element). Likes the feel of the CVT. Exterior style is liked most of the group (most likely due to the sedan element). Likes the layout and overall look of the interior, except for the shiny silver plastic trim and the stereo head-unit looking outdated. 1st on her list.

Nissan Rogue - Good mix of handling and ride quality. As with the Subaru, she prefers the CVT feel over the 6spd in the Escape/CX5. Exterior shape/style like a mini-Murano. Likes the interior layout and materials the best of all four vehicles, except the funky/small steering wheel. Tied with CX5 for 2nd.

Ford Escape - This is most likely the long shot. Handling similar to the Rogue, but slightly stiffer ride. Really likes the aggressive front end styling, but not keen on the profile. Likes the gauge cluster, but not fond of the big (cab forward) style dash design nor the center stack buttons/layout. Interior reminders her of a mini-van. She likes the feel of the cloth seats the best, thinks they feel the most durable but not comfiest. Dislikes how far forward/up the gear selector is (obstructs climate control & looks out of place). This is last on her potential list, as I'm the only reason this vehicle is being considered. Her fathers experience doesn't bode well for the Escape, as well as the truedelta data and other reported Escape issues.

Depending on her decision(s), we'll be going out this weekend to play "Let's Make a Deal" on her two favorites. So tell me why the Escape should get the nod out of the four vehicles listed above.

Edited by V8-X

So tell me why the Escape should get the nod out of the four vehicles listed above.

It shouldn't. Your wife has it at the bottom of her list, and she has made up her mind already that she doesn't like it. Any tiny problem that goes wrong with it will be the same ole 'I told you we shouldn't have gotten this car!' argument. I'm currently dealing with that with my MIL. She bought her first ever Ford (an Escape) 4 years ago due to my urging her to drive one. She fell in love with it, but since it's a Ford, she nit picks every single tiny thing. The trim is slightly crooked (you can't tell unless you try to find it), they got dirt on her floor mat when they changed her oil (even though I explained to her that she could get her oil changed anywhere), she only gets 20 MPG (yes, it's city driving only, you chose the V6 against my choosing, you drive with your foot on the floor), and the list goes on and on. Save yourself some headache, remove the Escape from the list, and let her pick what she wants to drive everyday. I did the same, and my wife has driven nothing by Fords since, all by her own choosing.

I agree about the Escape (for her in this particular case) but at this point I think you need to simply present the options and let her choose, right or wrong. It will still be your fault if she ends up not liking it down the road but at least this way you can say "I let you pick it!".

I gave up trying to reason with my wife a long time ago. They just don't think like that. What makes sense today may not make sense tomorrow. Whay they like today they may hate tomorrow. And no matter what they choose - it's your fault.

Thanks fellas, totally appreciate your opinion.

I'm with you two, as this is her vehicle and she needs to be happy with her choice, being she has to drive it every day. Being a Ford fan, I'm simply trying to keep her options open and get her into a Ford if she likes. So was simply trying to provide her thoughts on why the Escape may be the route to go, whether or not she chose the Escape or not. My aunt has a 2010 Escape and has loved it since day one, but of course that's the old body style.

The wife was actually very interested in the Flex, as she loves the style, interior and practically everything about the car. Problem is after test driving, she found the mpgs were slightly lower than she wanted and the vehicle was too big/long for what she felt comfortable with driving day to day. We took a look at the Edge too, but she only liked the style of the Sport model, and similar to the Flex, it was higher $$$ than she wanted to spend.

I'm with you two,

Could you say that again? That has to be a first! :)

The wife was actually very interested in the Flex, as she loves the style, interior and practically everything about the car. Problem is after test driving, she found the mpgs were slightly lower than she wanted and the vehicle was too big/long for what she felt comfortable with driving day to day. We took a look at the Edge too, but she only liked the style of the Sport model, and similar to the Flex, it was higher $$$ than she wanted to spend.

The Flex is a nice ride, but it is big. My wife went from an Escape ('03) to our Flex, and it was quite the adjustment. The MPG on our Flex is nearly identical to what our Escape was, with both being AWD. The Edge Sport is one sharp ride, but like you mentioned, it is a bit on the pricey side.

Good luck!

We love our Flex and were able to get a large discount from sticker. We got the tan cloth as my wife also hates leather. We needed the size and capability though to replace an Expedition to tow a small boat and haul a family of 5. My wife hated the explorer and was not interested in driving the Flex but once she drove it she was sold. Our lifetime MPG is currently right at 21.

Edited by Schpark

Could you say that again? That has to be a first! :)

Nah partner, not the first time I've agreed with you and Akirby. Sure it's few and far between, but there have been those special occasions we've all been on the same page, right or wrong.

We love our Flex and were able to get a large discount from sticker. We got the tan cloth as my wife also hates leather. We needed the size and capability though to replace an Expedition to tow a small boat and haul a family of 5. My wife hated the explorer and was not interested in driving the Flex but once she drove it she was sold. Our lifetime MPG is currently right at 21.

The Flex is beautiful IMO. The wife fell in love with the last body style, and likes the current even more. The wife wanted the size, as we are a family of 5 too. But after her realizing our oldest (17) is rarely with us anymore, is driving herself, and that the Flex was too big for her comfort level, she decided to go with a smaller vehicle. Interesting thing is, my wife too hates the look of the Explorer, states it looks like every other CUV/SUV in its class. She was drawn to the Flex, and the cars she's deciding from currently, partly because of their unique styles.

While 21mpg lifetime sounds good to me, coming from driving an F150 that doesn't even get 21mpg highway, the 21mpg is on average what the wife gets in the city with her '04 Altima. Which of course she already dreads filling the tank. So she really is unwilling to go down in the mpg, even if its for a bigger and better vehicle.

If you can talk her into the Flex, I'd go with that. Like said, huge discounts right now and a lot of car for the money. If not, there are a lot of new and older Subaru's on the road, they must be doing something right.

Agreed on the Flex, but I think the wife put the nail in the coffin on the Flex. Simply too big. She won't drive the F150 for the same reason, but that's okay, saves the miles on the truck.

Subaru is the #3 sales manufacturer here in CO, and those friends, family and co-workers who have them love them. So they must be doing something right. Or they got the Toyota head-spin games out and convincing everyone their products are better than reality shows.

Agreed on the Flex, but I think the wife put the nail in the coffin on the Flex. Simply too big. She won't drive the F150 for the same reason, but that's okay, saves the miles on the truck.

Unless one of her girlfriends gets a Flex, then suddenly it won't be too big and she'll want one.

Trust me on this one........

If she likes the legacy maybe she would go for the Outback. Sits higher, same interior but with the SUV/wagon cargo area. We have a 2012 OB nice ride, very comfortable seats, dated in the tech features but you say all she wants is Bluetooth and a rear view camera the OB has that. Be sure and do your research with potential issues over on the OB forum. A long test drive to see how you like the steering is recomended some folks have issues with a wandering sensation.

The Escape is nice ride but a little stiffer than the OB, Es power lift gate is sweet, i thought the samething about the shifter but it is a non-issue when in drive. I prop my hand on it to make adjustments, it cannot move without pressing the release.

By all means let her choose or you will lose.

I agree that the Outback should be a contender. I took a serious look at the Outback before I purchased my Escape. The things that swayed me was price and the '13 Escape had many more standard feature upgrades. To option them out equally, the Outback was quite a bit more. Also, the Subaru dealership was not willing to budge too far on the price like the Ford dealership was.

Unless one of her girlfriends gets a Flex, then suddenly it won't be too big and she'll want one.

Trust me on this one........

Not happening. She has plenty of friends with medium/large CUV/SUV's and while she likes their size when riding shotgun, she hates to be the one behind the wheel. She's never been the reason for an accident or ran into anything, but she truly is not the best driver of larger vehicles.

If she likes the legacy maybe she would go for the Outback. Sits higher, same interior but with the SUV/wagon cargo area. We have a 2012 OB nice ride, very comfortable seats, dated in the tech features but you say all she wants is Bluetooth and a rear view camera the OB has that. Be sure and do your research with potential issues over on the OB forum. A long test drive to see how you like the steering is recomended some folks have issues with a wandering sensation. The Escape is nice ride but a little stiffer than the OB, Es power lift gate is sweet, i thought the samething about the shifter but it is a non-issue when in drive. I prop my hand on it to make adjustments, it cannot move without pressing the release. By all means let her choose or you will lose.

We went that route of looking at the Outback when looking at the Legacy. She simply does not like station wagons, even though I tell her that is all the CUV's practically are, just with a slight lift. No luck, it has to be more of a CUV style, less station wagon or sedan. So she has ruled out the Outback, even though it's like you said, a slightly lifted Legacy with a covered cargo area.

Thanks for the suggestion though, as I do personally like both the Legacy and Outback.

Just in case you were not aware Nissan introduced a new revised Rogue last week, it is probably not on the lots yet.

http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/2014-rogue/colors-photos/#_exterior

To answer your question "why buy An Escape?"

In no particular order- 2.0 power, no problem merging, a quiet ride compared to some, I find the voice recognition works well examples- call xyz cell, Sirius- Coffee House, USB play Chris Botti and I have more to learn. Seat comfort is average, power lift gate is very nice, cool ambient lighting can change colors, all windows are one touch up or down, with cloth seats you probably can't get it but push button start and keyless entry but will spoil you in a hurry, good climate controls and heating cooling capability, rear ac some models, turn signal lane change feature quick touch to right or left will generate 3? Turn signal flashes,

I'm sure there is more.

Useful stuff

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerVideoPage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Escape

Just in case you were not aware Nissan introduced a new revised Rogue last week, it is probably not on the lots yet.

http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/2014-rogue/colors-photos/#_exterior

To answer your question "why buy An Escape?"

In no particular order- 2.0 power, no problem merging, a quiet ride compared to some, I find the voice recognition works well examples- call xyz cell, Sirius- Coffee House, USB play Chris Botti and I have more to learn. Seat comfort is average, power lift gate is very nice, cool ambient lighting can change colors, all windows are one touch up or down, with cloth seats you probably can't get it but push button start and keyless entry but will spoil you in a hurry, good climate controls and heating cooling capability, rear ac some models, turn signal lane change feature quick touch to right or left will generate 3? Turn signal flashes,

I'm sure there is more.

Useful stuff

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerVideoPage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Escape

You are on point. I researched the hell out of this class. Features are great. Ford dealers pricing was very good. My last tank full was 28 mpg. Looked at Subaru hard, but couldn't get past the styling. Edited by Escapism

How about the Forrester? I hate to say this, but how about the (gulp) a Hyundai Santa Fe? My sis and bro in law just got a fully loaded one and once again, I hate to admit it, it's pretty nice.

Looked at Forrester, she isn't too fond of the style and again still too much of a station wagon look in her opinion.

Even though I believe they've come a long way, the wife refuses to purchase a Kia or Hyundai. But do admit, I like the Santa Fe Sport.

Just in case you were not aware Nissan introduced a new revised Rogue last week, it is probably not on the lots yet. http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/2014-rogue/colors-photos/#_exterior To answer your question "why buy An Escape?" In no particular order- 2.0 power, no problem merging, a quiet ride compared to some, I find the voice recognition works well examples- call xyz cell, Sirius- Coffee House, USB play Chris Botti and I have more to learn. Seat comfort is average, power lift gate is very nice, cool ambient lighting can change colors, all windows are one touch up or down, with cloth seats you probably can't get it but push button start and keyless entry but will spoil you in a hurry, good climate controls and heating cooling capability, rear ac some models, turn signal lane change feature quick touch to right or left will generate 3? Turn signal flashes, I'm sure there is more. Useful stuff https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerVideoPage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Escape

Oh dang, now you done it. I was hearing rumors of an all new Rouge, but had not seen any pics. Now that you provided this, I would have to say this new Rogue will be part of the equation, depending on when it hits lots and whether the wife is willing to wait. Then again, I may automatically rule it out, as I kind of refuse to purchase a new design until it's in the 3rd model year. Prefer to have all (or majority) the hiccups and kinks worked out before dropping coin on one.

As for style, I believe this would be right up her alley. That's a very nice update, IMHO, and without seeing it on the lots and just by pics, I might have to say that looks to be one of if not the most appealing small CUV I've ever seen. The fact it also offers a 3rd row, which I'm sure will be tiny and for only itsy bitsy kids, would be a selling point for the wife. Interior looks really nice, but prefer the round air vents (similar to my 06 F150) in the current Rouge better. And not sure the wife would like how the gear selector has been moved up so close to the dash (like the Escape) even though this does not appear to block any controls.

We are agreed, as she is, that the EB2.0L provides tremendous power for the size. Just worried about mpgs, as those we know locally haven't gotten the desired mpg even when staying out of the go pedal. Unfortunately the wife isn't into many tech gadgets. The power lift gate, forgot about that, will add that to my list. Ambient lighting and one touch windows, not sure that'd add any value to her opinion, but duly noted. Not sure if she'd like the push button, but sure most vehicles will have the key fob to unlock the doors.

Thanks for the info to build up the Escape with, but dang you on the new Rogue, just going to draw out the process.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

Rouge looks to be a "built to a price point" to under cut the competition type of vehicle.

Similar to what Dacia did with the Duster.

Also IMO Rouge looks like a mix and mash of design lines, and the tail lamps make me think Buick for some reason.

Unsure what you are trying to mean by built for a price point to undercut competition. Nissan has always offered low end and high end models of their vehicles to meet all price points and provide the majority of amenities offered in other vehicles.

Mix/Mash of designs, interesting. My thoughts were the opposite, as IMO, it looks more cohesive and design elements appears to flow better than the many of the small CUV's on the market today. You can really see many of the same design elements across the Nissan lineup now, mostly in the profile/fender/shoulder designs. This looks more similar to a mini-Pathfinder now than the older models looking more mini-Murano. But will say this actually looks better than the new Pathfinder, which is okay and looks much better in person, but the Pathfider still has areas I dislike, such as the taillamps.

Sorry to have added more to the mix, lol. I had one of the first Rogues in my area. Nice ride, some reported cvt issues and Nissan extended the warranty. Nothing bad to say about it, traded it after a year or so for a used Honda Pilot that I traded after 3 years for my Escape. The new Rogue looks quiet a bit better equipped. My old buddies over on the Rogue forum have some good info.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/rogue-forum.html

Some are saying on the lots early November.

Edited by Ticmxman

Okay, the wife is in the market for a new vehicle. Her only requirements are small CUV or mid-size sedan, AWD, light tan/grey interior, cloth seats (she hates leather) and 20+ mpgs city (rarely does she drive on the highway). She's not into all the techie stuff, but does want Bluetooth and possibly a back-up camera if available. She'd also prefer higher seating, so more than likely going the CUV route.

Subaru Legacy - Best ride of the group (most likely due to the sedan element). Likes the feel of the CVT. Exterior style is liked most of the group (most likely due to the sedan element). Likes the layout and overall look of the interior, except for the shiny silver plastic trim and the stereo head-unit looking outdated. 1st on her list.

V8-X, I hope weekend car shopping has been productive and enjoyable for you and your wife. I agree the Subaru Legacy is an excellent choice. For MY 2014, you can get a base model with a package that includes 17" alloy wheels and fog lamps for only $300. That brings the MSRP to $22,390, a bargain for an all wheel drive vehicle of this size. Check out www.cars101.com for detailed consumer-oriented information about new Subarus.

Regarding the Escape, fordmantpw and akirby (stunt doubles! :)) summed it up best.

Edited by aneekr

Thanks fellas, totally appreciate your opinion.

I'm with you two, as this is her vehicle and she needs to be happy with her choice, being she has to drive it every day. Being a Ford fan, I'm simply trying to keep her options open and get her into a Ford if she likes. So was simply trying to provide her thoughts on why the Escape may be the route to go, whether or not she chose the Escape or not. My aunt has a 2010 Escape and has loved it since day one, but of course that's the old body style.

How about an Explorer? I love my new Explorer.