Ford winning b/c it listened to enthusiasts....some.

Why did Ford go with the European Mondeo? Because it was easier.

Why did Ford go with European Focus? Because it was easier.

Why did Ford go with the Kuga over a new platform for the Escape? Because it was easier.

These decisions were not made because they were uber-Europe-awesome-O. They were made because the timeframe in which those programs evolved, it just made a lot more sense.

I don't know if it was cheaper in every case, but it made more sense to do it to consoladate things long term, which would be cheaper down the road.

It was cheaper from a "fixed cost" standpoint (engineering costs), possibly not from a "variable cost" (parts costs) because those vehicles were developed after US engineering shrunk be about 33%, It was the only way to get fresh vehicles out during that time frame. Don't take these remarks as negative. So far, those vehicle have done well in the US market space.

Ford has had, and continues to have, "issues" with EU designed component manufacturing in NA (remember the issue with Focus dashboards ? ) I don't understand why.

There is still not a lot of "love" between EU and US engineers at the lowest level. One reason is likely the lack of direct support for EU designed vehicle from EU during launches of these vehicles in the US. Right or wrong, the feeling is "they designed it, but we have to make it right (buildable) !" The latest example of this is the full size Transit which has had several major slips during its design-to-US-production time.

I am glad that Ford has taken the the time to make it right and not "paint it Blue and ship it through !"

• Like 1

It was cheaper from a "fixed cost" standpoint (engineering costs), possibly not from a "variable cost" (parts costs) because those vehicles were developed after US engineering shrunk be about 33%, It was the only way to get fresh vehicles out during that time frame. Don't take these remarks as negative. So far, those vehicle have done well in the US market space.

Ford has had, and continues to have, "issues" with EU designed component manufacturing in NA (remember the issue with Focus dashboards ? ) I don't understand why.

There is still not a lot of "love" between EU and US engineers at the lowest level. One reason is likely the lack of direct support for EU designed vehicle from EU during launches of these vehicles in the US. Right or wrong, the feeling is "they designed it, but we have to make it right (buildable) !" The latest example of this is the full size Transit which has had several major slips during its design-to-US-production time.

I am glad that Ford has taken the the time to make it right and not "paint it Blue and ship it through !"

These are all issues that you just have to work through a few times before you identify all the gaps and convince everyone of what needs to be fixed and how.

It will be interesting to see how the MKC launch is handled and if they've learned anything.

It will be interesting to see how the MKC launch is handled and if they've learned anything.

Given the longer lead time Escape has had prior to the MKC launch (compared to the Fusion preceding the MKZ)it should go much smoother. Might still be some hiccups dealing with unique components, but most of the overall engineering/assembly problems likely won't affect it.

"they designed it, but we have to make it right (buildable) !" The latest example of this is the full size Transit which has had several major slips during its design-to-US-production time.

Fortunately, it seems that this time around the 'make it right' changes will be pushed back through to EU, and the platforms will be upgraded with those improvements retained.

The bottom line is that every single one of the EU designed vehicles have done very well for Ford NA. Today's Focus/Fiesta ATP's were pure fantasy 15 years ago. As fuel prices have risen in NA, smaller vehicle content/prices have as well, and this has fortuitously coincided with F/Mullaly's global product decisions.

• Like 1

Try a Gibson Citation?

56e97a14-9bcb-40bb-a497-326d30796b81.jpg

Yes, please. I'd love a big ol' Gibson jazz-axe, but can't afford the price of entry...well, can't justify it.

The Jalopnik article has elements of truth wrapped in their usual rhetoric. Truth is, most of us wanted the "Euro" Focus a full generation earlier, and wanted Sierras and Scorpios and screaming Cosworth motors instead of Pinto mills that stayed around too long.

Both Ford and GM were dumb enough to develop too many separate vehicles, and most of the dynamic chassis tuning and smaller engine tech stayed overseas. It was annoying as hell.

Eventually, more chassis commonality was economically inevitable, as was higher performance in a market that's been in a horsepower war for more than a decade, now. Gearhead that I am, I'm kinda glad it's leveled off as it looked like a typical V6 option on a family car would be topping 330 hp by now.

Ford listened to enthusiasts, and will continue to do so because the market demands it...and because a lot of R&D comes from pushing performance envelopes. Jalopnik is likely among the last sites Ford gives a damn about. I admit that the "NPOCP" bits are the only ones I read regularly.

• Like 1

Focus/Fiesta ST models can't be real profit generators, as they just don't sell many, but the ATP's on the mass market ones are sure beating the C170 predecessor's pants off.

I don't think they make much money, but they also are Halo products of their nameplate...but the most important thing is that they don't lose money. As long as you break even on them, you can still develop them down the road (as long as the name plate overall is profitable)

I think the article is a bit of cowsh!t, because enthusiasts can SAY they want something, but an auto company will only take a risk if they believe it will pay off. Thus, enthusiasts have to ACTUALLY BUY what they said they wanted!

Having said that, if Ford were to bring over the Mondeo Wagon and call it a Fusion Estate (or something like that), available in the "S" trim level with the 2.5L 4-cyl, I'd totally trade in my Focus 5-door and buy it! But don't just offer it in Titanium trim, effectively pricing it out of most buyers' reach, including all kinds of crap that many buyers don't want, see it not sell, and then offer that as an example as to why they shouldn't offer a wagon. I HATE that.

I think the article is a bit of cowsh!t, because enthusiasts can SAY they want something, but an auto company will only take a risk if they believe it will pay off. Thus, enthusiasts have to ACTUALLY BUY what they said they wanted!

Having said that, if Ford were to bring over the Mondeo Wagon and call it a Fusion Estate (or something like that), available in the "S" trim level with the 2.5L 4-cyl, I'd totally trade in my Focus 5-door and buy it! But don't just offer it in Titanium trim, effectively pricing it out of most buyers' reach, including all kinds of crap that many buyers don't want, see it not sell, and then offer that as an example as to why they shouldn't offer a wagon. I HATE that.

Ford doesn't sell a whole lot of retail models in "S" trim as it is. The chances of them bringing over a new body style and offering it in such a trim is unlikely. If they bring it over, they will offer it with the product mix that is most popular on the sedan, which already skews toward the higher trim levels. It's what people are buying. With the volume expected to be low, there would be little reason to offer it in the least popular trim level.

Edited by NickF1011