GM to keep selling Impala Limited to 2016!

silvrsvt

Would you suggest that GM should have changed the name of the new Impala then or just call the old one Impala Classic (Malibu Classic anyone?)? Foolishness!

I would suggest that they stop selling fleet queens altogether! But if you're going to do it then it would make more sense to use a different name to avoid confusion and to separate the sales data.

I would suggest that they stop selling fleet queens altogether! But if you're going to do it then it would make more sense to use a different name to avoid confusion and to separate the sales data.

GM knows what the real numbers are, so the only confusion is to pundits like us who get the public sales data. It's quite possible that they had long-term fleet contracts that would have been more expensive to opt out of than to just keep the gears turning on the old stampings. Plus they can still limit the new model to more retail sales, which, whether or not they are combined with the "old" Impala in sales numbers, should help maintain its resale value.

• Like 1

GM knows what the real numbers are, so the only confusion is to pundits like us who get the public sales data. It's quite possible that they had long-term fleet contracts that would have been more expensive to opt out of than to just keep the gears turning on the old stampings. Plus they can still limit the new model to more retail sales, which, whether or not they are combined with the "old" Impala in sales numbers, should help maintain its resale value.

"Hey - let's go look at the new Impala. I hear it's really nice!"

"Are you kidding - I had one of those POS rentals last week. No way I'd consider buying one."

"Hey - let's go look at the new Impala. I hear it's really nice!"

"Are you kidding - I had one of those POS rentals last week. No way I'd consider buying one."

From what I've seen around the airport, the new ones are the ones going to rental fleets. I see the old designs going more to filling municipal and government contracts.

And come on. Nobody who rents the old Impala is going to confuse it with the new one, even if they have the same name. Do all automakers buy back all of the previous generations of vehicles from rental agencies when they release a new model? No. When my 2011 Edge was in the body shop after being rear-ended, I got a 2010 Edge rental. If that 2010 was my only reference for what an Edge was, I wouldn't have bought one by any stretch. But you know, people do research.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

From what I've seen around the airport, the new ones are the ones going to rental fleets. I see the old designs going more to filling municipal and government contracts.

And come on. Nobody who rents the old Impala is going to confuse it with the new one, even if they have the same name. Do all automakers buy back all of the previous generations of vehicles from rental agencies when they release a new model? No. When my 2011 Edge was in the body shop after being rear-ended, I got a 2010 Edge rental. If that 2010 was my only reference for what an Edge was, I wouldn't have bought one by any stretch. But you know, people do research.

If you were an average car renter who didn't know there were 2 Impalas and the one you rented was underwhelming, what would cause you to go look to see that there was a new one?

I don't even remember the original question. But I don't think it's smart to have 2 different Impalas especially when the new one appears to be significantly better than the old one and very competitive.

If you were an average car renter who didn't know there were 2 Impalas and the one you rented was underwhelming, what would cause you to go look to see that there was a new one?

I don't even remember the original question. But I don't think it's smart to have 2 different Impalas especially when the new one appears to be significantly better than the old one and very competitive.

If you are considering buying one the opinion of a one-time renter isn't going to dissuade you from checking it out yourself.

• Like 1

If you are considering buying one the opinion of a one-time renter isn't going to dissuade you from checking it out yourself.

I'm not talking about someone else's opinion - I'm saying if YOU rented an Impala and didn't like it you probably wouldn't go look to see there was a new one. I know I wouldn't unless I already knew there were two different versions.

I'm not talking about someone else's opinion - I'm saying if YOU rented an Impala and didn't like it you probably wouldn't go look to see there was a new one. I know I wouldn't unless I already knew there were two different versions.

Why would you assume that a car you are renting is the newest model? Like I said, I had a 2010 Edge rental after the 2011 had been released. If I was dumb enough to assume that rental was the new one I probably wouldn't own an Edge now because that one was far worse than the new one.

• Like 1

Why would you assume that a car you are renting is the newest model? Like I said, I had a 2010 Edge rental after the 2011 had been released. If I was dumb enough to assume that rental was the new one I probably wouldn't own an Edge now because that one was far worse than the new one.

I give up. You win. It's totally good for GM to build 2 different Impalas and dump one into fleets.

Edited by akirby

It's not ideal, but I don't think it's nearly as damaging to the new one as you are making it out to be.

But it certainly can't be good for the new one either. I just think it would be better to give it a different name or stop the fleet queen sales altogether.

But it certainly can't be good for the new one either. I just think it would be better to give it a different name or stop the fleet queen sales altogether.

Well, technically it does have a different name: Impala Limited vs Impala. And the Impala Limited isn't even on the Chevrolet retail site.

Edited by NickF1011

Yes, but Nick, you actually have a clue. Most folks don't.

• Like 1

Most people expect rental cars to be new, or at least fairly new. Plus, you cannot assume that the average car buyer possess as much knowledge about cars and the automobile industry as you and rest of us on this site do. For most people, their knowledge of a car is limited to the fact that it has four wheels, an engine that requires gasoline and is made by a big corporation.

If you mention "Impala," they may remember that it is a Chevrolet, but if you showed them a mint 2011 Impala and told them it was the all-new 2013 model, they would not know the difference.

I remember a conversation with a co-worker in 1994 who bought a brand-new base Firebird. I asked her why she choose a Firebird, and her response was, "I wanted a sporty car, and the Camaro and Firebird looked exactly the same, but the Pontiac dealer gave me a better deal than the Chevrolet dealer."

I doubt that most of us would have said that a 1994 Camaro and Firebird looked "exactly the same." The differences would immediately jump out to us, and most of us would have a strong preference for one or the other. But lots of people simply don't pay that much attention to cars.

Edited by grbeck

I liked the Camaro, but thought that the Firebird looked overdone and somewhat silly. The main problems were that both had uncomfortable interiors and lousy build quality.

The bulge in the front passenger side floor of the cars, necessary to clear the catalytic converter, was particularly ridiculous.

• Like 1

I think part of the issue might be getting customers used to the fact that it's not the same old cheap Impala. Ford had similarly large barriers to overcome when the Taurus was re-introduced. They were so large, in fact, that it was launched with a different name, Five Hundred!

The Taurus Limited and Impala LTZ are very close in price, I think the Taurus is cheaper by $200 bucks or so.

Ford has much larger rebates on the Taurus compared to the Impala. However, Impala has started some competitive leases on this car recently. Still, the Impala is much more expensive than the previous model. I think that's why Chevy lovers choose the Malibu when, initially, they were looking at the Impala (After Hearing Consumer Reports Trumpets Blowing About the Superior Impala). Ha! Ha!

Edited by bobbyd

Ford has much larger rebates on the Taurus compared to the Impala. However, Impala has started some competitive leases on this car recently. Still, the Impala is much more expensive than the previous model. I think that's why Chevy lovers choose the Malibu when, initially, they were looking at the Impala (After Hearing Consumer Reports Trumpets Blowing About the Superior Impala). Ha! Ha!

If the current, pathetic sales numbers for Malibu are AFTER a bump from Impala defectors... Good grief.

• 4 weeks later...

And come on. Nobody who rents the old Impala is going to confuse it with the new one, even if they have the same name.

NOBODY? I take it your job doesn't involve day-to-day working with the public. People are very, very stupid. And Impala is an Impala is an Impala to the average consumer. Keep in mind what we argue with peple that INSIST Lincoln MUST have a RWD vehicle because BMW and MD have them: That huge #'s of BMW buyers don't even KNOW it's RWD and another huge # don't care. People. Are. Dumb.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 1

What? The better question is why would you assume the one you're renting ISN'T a new model? Just as much as you insist people are super smart and all research everything they do, I can tell you that people know rental agencies buy new cars, rent them for a particular period and then sell them off. You don't get a rental that's 5 years old with 75000 miles on it. It's a year old with 5-10000 miles on it. So if I rented a car, got an Impala and it was the old one, and it's garbage, why in the world would I think "I bet there's a NEW Impala that's waaaay better, so let's go look"?

NOBODY? I take it your job doesn't involve day-to-day working with the public. People are very, very stupid. And Impala is an Impala is an Impala to the average consumer. Keep in mind what we argue with peple that INSIST Lincoln MUST have a RWD vehicle because BMW and MD have them: That huge #'s of BMW buyers don't even KNOW it's RWD and another huge # don't care. People. Are. Dumb.

So I take it this kind of opinions is repeated in Ford boardrooms?.

Not an opinion, it's a fact.

The only reason GM is continuing with Classic Impala is because GM knows the moment it uses the '14 Imppala for fleet sales,

any any potential elevation in Chevrolet brand is toast. But here's the thing, selling the Classic Impala says more about how

GM views its fleet customers and their business, that completely overshadows any advantage that strategy gives.

Re: GM and RWD,

Cadillac ATS seems to be stuck at 2,800 sales a month - about the same as MKZ but the inventory has ballooned to 17,000

The problem isn't with the cars mechanical specs, dimensions or appointments, it's the fact that people who buy BMW

and other luxury brands want to be seen in them, they wear their cars like fashion accessories and statements.

Why pay near BMW 3 series price for an imitator and miss out on the status and prestige of that BMW badge..

• Like 1