C&D review MKZ

Not a terrible review. At least they didn't spend 3 paragraphs talking about how Lincoln is doomed.

Strange that they didn't mention Lincoln Ride Control and any effect it might have had on handling. Did they even use the sport setting?

The Regal 2.0L turbo does perform better than the Ford 2.0L EB but it doesn't have a V6 option or electronic suspension or adaptive LED headlamps, etc. I guess they were only comparing the drivetrain.

Lincoln needs the new 2.3L EB to distance itself from the Ford 2.0L EB. And a 350 hp option (2.7L EB?) would be really nice. And more gears. I suspect we may see all 3 next year starting with the MKC.

The first time I saw this article show up in my RSS feed:

It’s hard not to root for Lincoln in its struggle to become a bona fide luxury brand, but it’s also hard to find compelling reasons to do so. The MKZ, poster car for the Lincoln Motor Company’s renaissance program, is a case in point. In test after test, the MKZ has come across as a fancified Ford Fusion but not upgraded enough to justify the price premium, in this case some five grand more than a Fusion 2.0T AWD in Titanium trim.

... I stopped reading after that paragraph.

I gave it another chance this time, and two things stuck out to me:

• They admit that they run cars hard in their testing. I appreciate the transparency.
  • They say that the V6 is the way to go. I haven't driven either, but if I were to shop this car, I'd go for the V6. Why? Because V6.
  • Like 1

Not a terrible review. At least they didn't spend 3 paragraphs talking about how Lincoln is doomed.

Strange that they didn't mention Lincoln Ride Control and any effect it might have had on handling. Did they even use the sport setting?

The Regal 2.0L turbo does perform better than the Ford 2.0L EB but it doesn't have a V6 option or electronic suspension or adaptive LED headlamps, etc. I guess they were only comparing the drivetrain.

Lincoln needs the new 2.3L EB to distance itself from the Ford 2.0L EB. And a 350 hp option (2.7L EB?) would be really nice. And more gears. I suspect we may see all 3 next year starting with the MKC.

I've posted elsewhere here about MKZ reviews, and how they are an automotive Rorschach test of the reviewer. I'm in my 30's age-wise and just placed an order on an MKZ, and absolutely feel that it's worth the premium over the Fusion and that reviewers are just in an echo chamber of reviewer conventional wisdom. And that's after also test driving an ATS, CTS-V, ES, and Verano Turbo. Why is it worth the premium? Very simply, here's why:

• If you love the look of the MKZ in and out and think it's one of the most unique looking vehicles on the road (as I do) , and you think the Fusion is just nice and OK (as I do), it's absolutely worth the money right there. End of review...
  • If you aren't impressed by the look in and out, and find the Fusion's styling preferable (as it is very different), then you probably don't think it's worth the premium. End of review... As an example, I think the Toyota Avalon is much better looking in and out than the ES and if I wanted one of those, I'd probably go Avalon...
  • Reviewers seem to be ignoring all the unique elements, like the V6, adjustable suspension, panoramic roof, etc or don't think they are worth anything...
  • I think reviewers are comparing it against the wrong vehicles. It's not a sports sedan, and sports sedan buyers probably shouldn't look at it at all. Thus, the IS, ATS, 3-series comments are really off the mark. It's like comparing it to the Suburban because they're the same price, apples and oranges...

Regarding the Regal, I don't feel it's a convincing near lux model. I looked at it and it feels about 15 years behind the MKZ in styling inside and out. I didn't drive it, but I can believe it might be a better driver, considering the Verano Turbo was actually quite impressive overall.

That said, I still think Ford should do the following relatively quick fixes for the MKZ:

• Banish the Ford control stalks for the wiper/turn signals and door switches. Similarly, different graphics and more options for the MFT/MLT and hybrid instrument screens...
  • More "sense of occasion" with the push button transmission
  • Change the material flanking the central console from that hard grey plastic which does honestly take the dash feel down a grade...
  • I'm all for relaxed luxury as a goal, but the Verano is just as super quiet and smooth (maybe a tad more so) but feels far more dialed in and communicative as a driver. That's actually the car I think they should target for ride/handling mix... That platform absolutely has the capacity to feel better than it does in current tuning...
  • Similarly, across the range, 0-60 needs to be competitive. Again, it's not a sports sedan, but you've got to be market competitive there or reviews will destroy you...
  • I still think the entire range is overpriced by about $1500 to $2000...

I wanted to go American, and did, but I also thought about the Q50 hybrid as well. Seeing some new ones on the road, though, I frankly don't think that looks like a $50+K car and not nearly as special looking as the MKZ.

Edited by Iiari

I completely agree with you on needing the 2.3T. Its a lot of metal to move with just the 2.0T and this is Lincoln after all. The top dogs should get the top stuff. I am under the impression the 2.0 is adequate and thats about it. I would not accept that in a Lincoln. They could and should do better.

• Like 2

perhaps the 2.3 EB is enough engine to replace both the 2,0 EB and 3.7 V6.

I wonder if Ford is missing the point with hybrid - guilt free motoring.

What about adding to the hybrid range with a 3.5 DI hybrid for a bit more performance...

That could have wider application in heavier vehicles like Taurus, Explorer and PIs...

perhaps the 2.3 EB is enough engine to replace both the 2,0 EB and 3.7 V6.

I wonder if Ford is missing the point with hybrid - guilt free motoring.

What about adding to the hybrid range with a 3.5 DI hybrid for a bit more performance...

That could have wider application in heavier vehicles like Taurus, Explorer and PIs...

I think it is enough to replace both, provided there is a higher end option (2.7LEB?) as well. There should be a hybrid but I'm not sure if it will be for max mpg or more performance oriented like other luxury hybrids. Maybe they could use a N/A 2.3L instead of the 2.0L for the hybrid.

I think it is enough to replace both, provided there is a higher end option (2.7LEB?) as well. There should be a hybrid but I'm not sure if it will be for max mpg or more performance oriented like other luxury hybrids. Maybe they could use a N/A 2.3L instead of the 2.0L for the hybrid.

How about a hybrid for each? A 2.0L for Green Label and a 2.0 (or 2.3) L EB for Red Label? Maybe not, just throwing out possibilities.

• Like 1

How about a hybrid for each? A 2.0L for Green Label and a 2.0 (or 2.3) L EB for Red Label? Maybe not, just throwing out possibilities.

That might work, too, but it would depend on whether you could get enough volume on each to make it worthwhile to have two. Previous performance hybrids haven't worked as well as top mpg hybrids.

• Like 1

That might work, too, but it would depend on whether you could get enough volume on each to make it worthwhile to have two. Previous performance hybrids haven't worked as well as top mpg hybrids.

True. I'm wondering if Lincoln will move toward different hybrids from their Ford counterparts.

True. I'm wondering if Lincoln will move toward different hybrids from their Ford counterparts.

Given the popularity of the current MKZ hybrid and knowing how focused Ford is on maximizing investments, I think it's safe to say they won't go too far from that formula (max mpg). But I could see a slight bump from 2.0L to 2.3L just to give it a bit of a difference without sacrificing too many mpg.

Given the popularity of the current MKZ hybrid and knowing how focused Ford is on maximizing investments, I think it's safe to say they won't go too far from that formula (max mpg). But I could see a slight bump from 2.0L to 2.3L just to give it a bit of a difference without sacrificing too many mpg.

I think that would be a great idea, especially with Infiniti throwing down the gauntlet with the Q50 hybrid which has a lot of power and pretty decent (but not MKZ Hybrid) MPG.

I'm in my 30's age-wise and just placed an order on an MKZ, and absolutely feel that it's worth the premium over the Fusion and that reviewers are just in an echo chamber of reviewer conventional wisdom. And that's after also test driving an ATS, CTS-V, ES, and Verano Turbo. Why is it worth the premium? Very simply, here's why:

I have a very simple reason why it is worth the premium to me. I DON"T LIKE THE FUSION AND WAS NEVER IN THE MARKET FOR ONE TO BEGIN WITH. I don't want to compare one or drive one or sit in one. It was never on my radar as a choice. WHY MUST THEY TRY TO FORCE THIS CHOICE ON ME? Just because they are both under the Ford umbrella? It's ridiculous!

• Like 2

I'm in my 30's age-wise and just placed an order on an MKZ, and absolutely feel that it's worth the premium over the Fusion and that reviewers are just in an echo chamber of reviewer conventional wisdom. And that's after also test driving an ATS, CTS-V, ES, and Verano Turbo. Why is it worth the premium? Very simply, here's why:

I have a very simple reason why it is worth the premium to me. I DON"T LIKE THE FUSION AND WAS NEVER IN THE MARKET FOR ONE TO BEGIN WITH. I don't want to compare one or drive one or sit in one. It was never on my radar as a choice. WHY MUST THEY TRY TO FORCE THIS CHOICE ON ME? Just because they are both under the Ford umbrella? It's ridiculous!

A big thumbs up on following through with your choice.:)

• Like 1

"All of our testers agree the 2.3L is the engine the Fusion deserves. If Fordlincolnmotors ever does this, we see no reason to step up to the higher priced Fusion trim MKZ."

I predict we see this quote in Motortrend/C&D whenever the 2.3L hits the MKZ.

Edited by woodrowwilson