BREAKING: Mary Barra named to new GM CEO

PREMiERdrum

DETROIT (AP) - A person briefed on the matter says General Motors' board has named product development chief Mary Barry as the company's next CEO.

The person didn't want to be identified because a formal announcement hasn't been made. An announcement was expected later Tuesday.

Barra currently is senior vice president for global product development. She's in charge of design, engineering and quality of all of GM's vehicles across the globe. She's also in charge of purchasing and had previously headed the company's human resources operations.

GM says it will name Mary Barra as its first ever female CEO.

Barra is currently the company's global head of product development. She first jointed GM at age 18, according to Forbes.

She will succeed Dan Akerson, who was appointed by the Obama administration in 2009 to help shepherd the automaker through its bankruptcy. Yesterday, Treasury announced it had sold its last stake in the company for a $10.5 billion loss.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Talk about a team-building, "we're in this together" tone to set...

FORTUNE -- Mary Barra has one directive for her employees: "The simple thing I say to them is, No more crappy cars, and that resonates."

When a moment on your highlight reel is "changing the dress code"...

Before taking on her current role, Barra was vice president of global human resources. It was a critical time for the company as it came out of bankruptcy. "I wanted to drive a new culture," she says.

The bankruptcy gave the company a chance to reset and do things differently. Barra significantly cut the number of HR reports and paperwork that needed to be filled out, and she relaxed the dress code. "That was probably the most interesting change and biggest learning I had into the culture," she said. Previously the dress code had been 10 pages long. The company was entrusting its employees with million-dollar budgets, but it didn't believe they could dress themselves for work without detailed instructions. She changed the policy simply to dress appropriately. "It became a window into the change we needed to make at General Motors," she said.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/10/16/mary-barra-gm/

Talk about a team-building, "we're in this together" tone to set...

Before taking on her current role, Barra was vice president of global human resources. It was a critical time for the company as it came out of bankruptcy. "I wanted to drive a new culture," she says.

The bankruptcy gave the company a chance to reset and do things differently. Barra significantly cut the number of HR reports and paperwork that needed to be filled out, and she relaxed the dress code. "That was probably the most interesting change and biggest learning I had into the culture," she said. Previously the dress code had been 10 pages long. The company was entrusting its employees with million-dollar budgets, but it didn't believe they could dress themselves for work without detailed instructions. She changed the policy simply to dress appropriately. "It became a window into the change we needed to make at General Motors," she said.

When a moment on your highlight reel is "changing the dress code"...

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/10/16/mary-barra-gm/

If you think about it....the 10 pages of dress code is a microcosm of the old GM....her approach to it is a fundamental shift to what is needed at GM World Headquarters...

• Like 1

My wife's birthday is 12/18. From the moment we started dating it was made clear to me that there would be NO one-gift-for-both and NO wrapping birthday presents in christmas paper. Period. The tough part is coming up with enough gifts for both at the same time of the year (and keeping them straight when wrapping them). Can't blame them though.

My wife's birthday is 12/18. From the moment we started dating it was made clear to me that there would be NO one-gift-for-both and NO wrapping birthday presents in christmas paper. Period. The tough part is coming up with enough gifts for both at the same time of the year (and keeping them straight when wrapping them). Can't blame them though.

Wrapping paper? I'm a big fan of the "gift bag".

• Like 1

Our youngest daughter's birthday is 1/12. With adults, gift cards work well for gifts, but try thinking of enough things to get a small child who already has enough stuff passed down from her older siblings. But, that's my wife's job. All I have to do is pay the credit card bill when it gets here.

I have the same trouble with my nephews. It's particularly difficult since I don't live with any of them so I have no idea what they might already have. Combine that with brothers who aren't always the most forthcoming with gift ideas and it's always a crap shoot.