Ford 1.0L EcoBoost to Reach More US Models

Ford 1.0L EcoBoost to Reach More US Models

LINK

Ford has big plans for its smallest EcoBoost engine that will include a wider proliferation in North America.

Bending around the brand’s iron curtain policy of not commenting on future products, Ford powertrain spokesman Paul Seredynski hinted that the company will offer its turbocharged three-cylinder engine to U.S. customers in more than the Fiesta sedan and hatchback.

While he wouldn’t specify which models are slated for the smaller engine, he said ”you can make some assumptions” based on cars shared with the European market and packaged with larger 1.6-liter EcoBoost engines in that market. “We have big plans for this engine,” he added.

In Europe, Ford powers the Mondeo – essentially a Fusion – with the mini mill among others. A three-cylinder Fusion seems unlikely for North America considering how much of a decrease in horsepower that would represent. The conventional Fusion uses a 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine and has 240 hp or roughly double that of the 1.0-liter three-banger. On the other hand, the Focus would actually see a marginal torque gain over the 2.0-liter four-cylinder it currently uses.

Ford is also bullish on the growth of its utility vehicle sales both in North America and globally. The brand said it expects global utility vehicle sales to grow at roughly double the rate of the overall industry. A big part of that growth for Ford will rest on its Fiesta-based EcoSport model bound for in 62 countries by 2017. That plan excludes North America, but previous reports indicate that Ford might sell its little crossover here in the future.

So, could we see it in Focus, C-Max, Escape or maybe a power train change for hybrids?

Edited by jpd80

I do wonder what the potential would be to use the 1.0L EB as the hybrid engine. Would seem to make sense that it would be more efficient, but idk.

I would like to see it in Focus (I'd have bought it in 2011 if it was in Focus without a second thought), and I'd like to see the Grand C-Max brought over here like it was initially announced. That could be well served with a 1.0L, 1.6L, and 2.0L EB lineup.

For now the base engine is a 1.6 NA I-4...until the new Mondeo arrives...

Yes I know, but the article is written in a way that one would think the 1.0EB is being offered in the Mondeo now.

Not even the new Mondeo in China has been offered with the 1.0EB.

Ford Europe new Mondeo is still a year away from being a reality.

Edited by MKII

I believe this will be a mistake. Just not enough power. Ford has been crucified for offering the 2 EB in the Explorer. You may get by with it in the Focus but that is where it ends imo and who would pay more for less power? I sure would not.

I agree, while Europeans might tolerate a new 1.0 EB Mondeo, an American 1.0 EB Fusion would go over like a lead balloon

I doubt you could put it in anything bigger than Fiesta, Focus, maybe Transit Connect, I wouldn't like to try C-Max or Escape

because the last thing you want to do is over sell Ecoboost and disappoint buyers. America is different to Europe where

it's seen as a cheap alternative to diesel, in the US people have come to expect it to be more torquey than NA engines.

Still, in Fiesta the 1.0 EB is a good performer, the economy rivals that of the compact Cruze diesel with a much lower price.

Off topic,

where 2.0 EB falls down in Explorer, I think the 2.3 EB would be a success, that little bit extra oomph makes all the difference.

Similarly, a 1.2 or 1.3 I-4 Ecoboost would have broader appeal in US vehicles that Ford has targeted with the 1.0 EB...

Edited by jpd80

Several sites reported on the upcoming availability of the 1.0 litre in the Fiesta over a year ago.

Checking out the Ford Canada and Ford U.S. vehicle sites, there has as yet to be any indication that this engine is currently available in the Fiesta.

It's great that the engine availability will be expanded, but what is going on with the Fiesta?

Frank

I agree, while Europeans might tolerate a new 1.0 EB Mondeo, an American 1.0 EB Fusion would go over like a lead balloon

I doubt you could put it in anything bigger than Fiesta, Focus, maybe Transit Connect, I wouldn't like to try C-Max or Escape

because the last thing you want to do is over sell Ecoboost and disappoint buyers. America is different to Europe where

it's seen as a cheap alternative to diesel, in the US people have come to expect it to be more torquey than NA engines.

Still, in Fiesta the 1.0 EB is a good performer and the economy rivals that of the compact Cruze diesel with a lower price.

Off topic,

where 2.0 EB falls down in Explorer, I think the 2.3 EB would be a success, that little bit extra oomph makes all the difference.

Similarly, a 1.2 or 1.3 I-4 Ecoboost would have broader appeal in US vehicles that Ford has targeted with the 1.0 EB...

If Ford is serious about putting the tiny 1LEB in other vehicles it has to make you scratch your head about the 2.3EB going in the F series. The 2.3EB is going to answer a lot of prayers for sure but I dont know about the F series. And where is the Nano V6 that has been talked a bout and rumored forever?

I believe this will be a mistake. Just not enough power. Ford has been crucified for offering the 2 EB in the Explorer. You may get by with it in the Focus but that is where it ends imo and who would pay more for less power? I sure would not.

I was interested in how this engine would do in an Edge and a local dealer actually had one (2.0L /FWD model)...it actually did very well and I would have bought it, but the dealership was not going to give me anywhere near what I needed for my 2012 Fusion SEL with waaaay too many miles so I didn't get it...but I really wanted to buy it....The motor was THAT impressive in Edge....

• Like 1

Having driven the 1.0L 5-speed, it is amazing in the Fiesta. I can see it in a Focus with the stick as well, anything bigger I don't think it would work well. The 1.6L in the TC seems like it would be labored under a full load but fine for delivery, public buyers might like the 2.0L for the wagon TC. The handling of the TC is amazing.

Several sites reported on the upcoming availability of the 1.0 litre in the Fiesta over a year ago.

Checking out the Ford Canada and Ford U.S. vehicle sites, there has as yet to be any indication that this engine is currently available in the Fiesta.

It's great that the engine availability will be expanded, but what is going on with the Fiesta?

Frank

The North America Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost has been available for order since October. There have been a few delivered already in both USA and Canada.

Here is one that an owner in Arizona just received

fiesta.jpg

As you can see , Ford North America is marketing the 1.0EB Fiesta as a Eco model (SFE badged), steel wheels and covers, no fog lights.

Pretty much a base SE trim, and 5 speed manual only.

20131207_082230_zps0016d684.jpg

20131207_082339_zps4433041c.jpg

This engine pic is from an owner in Montreal who just receive it last week.

Edited by MKII

If Ford is serious about putting the tiny 1LEB in other vehicles it has to make you scratch your head about the 2.3EB going in the F series. The 2.3EB is going to answer a lot of prayers for sure but I dont know about the F series.

I have not heard anything whatsoever about 2.3 EB in F150 apart from speculation from myself and others.

If you think about it, why would Ford be replacing the 3.7 in F150 with another engine when it's barely 5% of all sales?

The main focus must surely be on improving fuel economy across as many F150s as possible, therefore the focus will be on 5.0 V8 and Ecoboost V6.

And where is the Nano V6 that has been talked a bout and rumored forever?

Patience grasshopper.

On topic,The point with Ford info leaks is to pose more questions than it answers, get people talking.

Other markets are getting an "Automatic" trans version of 1.0 EB, surely this will be big news when it's available in the US...

Edited by jpd80

So far the 1.0 EB 100hp is the only one with the Powershift, which is odd as the the torque numbers are the same for both the 100hp and 125hp 1.0EB.

Except that the 125hp allows slightly higher torque values with the overboost feature.

Edited by MKII

So far the 1.0 EB 100hp is the only one with the Powershift, which is odd as the the torque numbers are the same for both the 100hp and 125hp 1.0EB.

Except that the 125hp has allows slightly higher torque values with the overboost feature.

I don't understand why FoE does that - two power levels on the same engine, it's as though they are being stingy and holding back the power.

Thye do the same with our current old Mondeo, 2.0 Ecoboost in 200 hp and 240 hp forms.....quite silly really when the focus is on diesels anyway

Edited by jpd80

The 2.3L is NOT going in the F-150.

You are most likely correct. But, with all of the talk of the lighter frame ect on the lower end F series it got me to thinking about it again that it could be a possibility. That, and I think Ford will pull out all of the stops to have something to advertise fuel mileage wise even if it does not live up to expectations in the real world. I know I will get killed for that last comment but I still dont believe turbo engines deliver FE wise what is advertised compared to a NA counterpart.

Still, in Fiesta the 1.0 EB is a good performer, the economy rivals that of the compact Cruze diesel with a much lower price.

Off topic,

My son loves his 2.0 Explorer

• Like 1

You are most likely correct. But, with all of the talk of the lighter frame ect on the lower end F series it got me to thinking about it again that it could be a possibility. That, and I think Ford will pull out all of the stops to have something to advertise fuel mileage wise even if it does not live up to expectations in the real world. I know I will get killed for that last comment but I still dont believe turbo engines deliver FE wise what is advertised compared to a NA counterpart.

I know the powertrain options (well as of a month ago) for the next F-150, the 2.3L isn't one of the 4 of them.

• Like 1

I know the powertrain options (well as of a month ago) for the next F-150, the 2.3L isn't one of the 4 of them.

Exactly, the 2.3 EB makes no sense in F150 because it plays to the wrong end of the market, the 5 percentile group.

Increasing efficiency for the 90 percentile of F150 buyers (5.0 and EB 35) is where the real action will be.

I was comparing the 2002 Explorer with the V6 RWD and the Ecoboost I4 in the new Gen Explorer, and they both have the same power to weight ratio and even with real world reporting on the EPA website, the Ecoboost I4 still gets nearly 25% better MPG (17 vs 21 MPG) then the last gen Explorer, even though it weighs about 400lbs more.

I just think peoples expectations are too high. My old man complains about the MPG on the 2L EB Escape they own...He can get 32 MPG if he keeps it around 65 MPG going to my house, but it goes down to 26-28 if he goes faster, which I think is pretty damn good considering the amount of HP and Torque that engine does. My Fiances' 2010 V6 tops out at 28 doing the same thing, if your lucky.