Top 30 best-selling new cars of 2013 -- charts

Everyone knows the top three, which haven't changed in years -- F-Series, Silverado, Camry. What about farther down the list?

Edited by DC Car Examiner
  • Like 1

Good work, Brady. Thanks for this.

Interesting that they put the Grand Cherokee in the mid-size class with the Edge and the Explorer in the full-size class. I thought the GC was a full-size SUV?

I wouldn't even call Explorer full-size, to be honest. Here's how I'd break it down...

Midsize SUV - Explorer, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, etc.

Fullsize SUV - Expedition, Sequoia, Tahoe, etc.

I tried to squeeze the Durango in, but Mopar likes to straddle size classes with that thing,,,

A lot of good work there Brady, I really enjoy your data presentations.

We can only wonder what would have been with MKZ in 2013, four very poor months and still ending up with just over 32,000 sales.

That to me says it could have placed much further up the ranks with another 2,000/mth it would have meant 40,000 sales for the year.

Edited by jpd80

Interesting that they put the Grand Cherokee in the mid-size class with the Edge and the Explorer in the full-size class. I thought the GC was a full-size SUV?

Good work, Brady. Thanks for this.

I wouldn't even call Explorer full-size, to be honest. Here's how I'd break it down...

Midsize SUV - Explorer, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, etc.

Fullsize SUV - Expedition, Sequoia, Tahoe, etc.

I tried to squeeze the Durango in, but Mopar likes to straddle size classes with that thing,,,

The current Explorer is quite large, some seven inches longer than the Grand Cherokee. The way I handle vehicles that straddle classes is by listing them in multiple places -- for instance, the Honda Pilot for being sized like a Grand Cherokee but generally competing with much larger three-row models like the Durango, Explorer, or Traverse; or the Chevy Equinox for being GM's entry-level SUV despite being the size of an Edge.

The other thing I do in these charts is to break out the full-size crossovers from the full-size SUVs, giving each their own chart. I've thought about doing the same in the smaller classes, but there just *aren't* that many traditional smaller SUVs left anymore.

Of course, so much of this is just judgment calls. Which similar cars should be grouped together? What's in what class? Everyone is probably going to have their own way of doing it, and certainly there are more valid ways than mine. But, gotta pick just one.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Let's talk about the models themselves...

Of the ones that show up on the top-30 list, the Focus is the only Ford that sold fewer units YOY.

Of other brands:

Hyundai - Sonata

Chevrolet - Malibu, Impala

Volkswagen - Jetta

By class:

Subcompact - Hyundai Accent, Mini Cooper, Fiat 500

Compact - Focus, Toyota Prius (not sure which one; as a line?), VW Jetta, Mazda3

Midsize - Chevy Malibu, Chrysler 200, VW Passat

Fullsize - Chevy Impala, Chrysler 300, Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Genesis

GM was down as a whole, so I'm not surprised they moved fewer cars. Chrysler 300 is moving further up in price away from the Charger, I think.

Niche/boutique cars (Cooper, 500) are down.

VW is floundering.

There is a market for JEEPS. That doesn't mean Jeep buyers will buy Fords. And the only reason the Raptor is alive is because it's built on the F150 platform. There is no shared platform available for a Bronco.

The Troller, it is Ford's Jeep. I would suspect that it will be folded into the Ranger/Territory when it gets redone.

There is a market for JEEPS. That doesn't mean Jeep buyers will buy Fords. And the only reason the Raptor is alive is because it's built on the F150 platform. There is no shared platform available for a Bronco.

Actually, there is. It's called F-150.

Ford did it once in the 80/90s, they can do it again now.

And this:

132.jpg

Becomes this:

ford_bronco_svt_raptor_concept_by_mvtpho

Or as Jason mentioned, Troller and Ranger are other future options

They did stop buying 2 door coupes and many companies are killing their 2 door coupes. Mustang is the exception. So is Jeep. You don't see other companies building new 2 door coupes or Jeep Wrangler clones and you won't see Ford building a 2 door Bronco for the same reason.

Put a shell on an extended cab Raptor or any F150 for that fact with some tall tires and you have 95% of a Bronco anyway.

Everyone knows the top three, which haven't changed in years -- F-Series, Silverado, Camry. What about farther down the list?

Sales charts and discussions of the Top 30 of 2013: http://www.examiner.com/article/america-s-most-popular-cars-the-top-30-best-selling-vehicles-of-2013

See also: Top-10 best-sellers by class

http://www.examiner.com/article/top-10-best-selling-cars-of-2013-by-class

Thanks as always, Brady. Two things come to mind when I looked at your by-class charts:

1. Why did you put Maxima in entry level luxury car?

2. Where is Lincoln MKX?

They did stop buying 2 door coupes and many companies are killing their 2 door coupes. Mustang is the exception. So is Jeep. You don't see other companies building new 2 door coupes or Jeep Wrangler clones and you won't see Ford building a 2 door Bronco for the same reason.

I wonder what the sales numbers are for 4 door wranglers vs 2 door ones...

I wonder what the sales numbers are for 4 door wranglers vs 2 door ones...

Pretty good I bet - much higher than I would have predicted. Just like 4 door pickups have become the norm and you almost can't find a 2 door pickup any more.

Cars.com shows about 7K of each in dealer stock nationwide - 2 door and 4 door.

Edited by akirby

155k Jeep Wranglers???

And yet we can't get a propper Bronco......

"Sigh" :cry:

1. Could not agree more- I wish we had a proper Bronco! Throw in another 30K+ FJ's, 40K+ Xterras and 50k+ 4Runners with the Wrangler and it is hard to argue that there is no opportunity here...

2. It is apparent from the second half of the year sales that Escape sales suffered from numerous recalls - quality glitches. Probably cost it the class sales crown.