Tremor to be discontinued, Raptor next?

From today's Automotive News:

"DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will discontinue its F-150 Tremor sport truck after just one model year. Doug Scott, Ford truck marketing manager, said Ford would not renew the Tremor when the all-new aluminum F-150 goes into production in the fourth quarter this year at Ford's Kansas City truck plant. The Tremor is a short-wheelbase, regular-cab pavement burner powered by a 365-hp, turbocharged EcoBoost engine. The Tremor went on sale in the fourth quarter last year as an on-road counterpart to the Raptor, Ford's over-the-top off-road performance truck. The Raptor's future is also uncertain now that Ford has announced its redesigned 2015 F-150. Ford did not show a 2015 version of the Raptor this week at the Detroit auto show. One source at Ford's Dearborn truck plant told Automotive News the Raptor was not included in the 2015 production schedule."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20140114/OEM04/140119780/ford-to-drop-f-150-tremor-from-truck-lineup#ixzz2qQ4n7KgJ

I figure there'll be a short gap between the current Raptor and the next Ford sport truck...and I have to wonder how well the Tremor did. I don't think I've seen one except on dealership lots yet.

I was thinking the same thing.

To me the Tremor is too impractical to most to sell much

"The Raptor's future is also uncertain now that Ford has announced its redesigned 2015 F-150.

Ford did not show a 2015 version of the Raptor this week at the Detroit auto show.

Scott, speaking at the Detroit auto show, said Ford did not have anything to say about the Raptor at this time."

Just because they didn't show it and don't have anything to say at this time, the media wants us to think the

Raptor is on the verge of being discontinued now? Nobody really thought it would be relased this year.

• Like 1

I didn't expect the Tremor to stick around. Honestly, I think it's priced too high for what it is, and didn't look for it to sell well. But, it kept the F150 in the news a bit, and has probably served it's purpose well. All of the parts were off the shelf, so it's not like it cost a lot to produce it.

I look for the Raptor to return since it has been such a hot seller. I would look for it in the '16 MY, though, not '15. Ford doesn't need the extra headache while bringing the Al truck online, and the '15 will be hot enough as-is that they don't need the Raptor to bring in extra sales.

I'm thinking maybe a Raptor in '16 and a new Lightning in '17?

• Like 2

I'm thinking maybe a Raptor in '16 and a new Lightning in '17?

I don' t think you'll ever see a Lighting truck again, both Ford and Ram have made comments how no matter what you do to a sport truck it will still get beat by a car, and the closer you get in performance to a car, the less truck it can be. That was kinda the thinking behind the Raptor, let a truck be a truck and do what it can do better than what any car could do.

I don' t think you'll ever see a Lighting truck again, both Ford and Ram have made comments how no matter what you do to a sport truck it will still get beat by a car, and the closer you get in performance to a car, the less truck it can be. That was kinda the thinking behind the Raptor, let a truck be a truck and do what it can do better than what any car could do.

Can't say I disagree. Just wishful thinking on my part as it would be cool to see another Lightning, though I would never be in the market for one.

Tremor was an exercise in packaging... standard cab + 3.5 Ecoboost + short bed + graphic package thrown in to justify the up charge. There wasn't any special changes so it would be easy enough for Ford to make that exact combo available again. Although I imagine they will strictly control such combo availability because 2017 CAFE is based on "footprint", which means SWB standard car pickup trucks are extremely CAFE negative.

I don't think Raptor is going away at all. Sure, it will take a break in 2015 since the 6.2 V8 is being phased out. That just means SVT is buying time until 5.0 Ecoboost is ready from the Mustang GT500 program ;) Raptor will be back at some point after that.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

I don't think Raptor is going away at all. Sure, it will take a break in 2015 since the 6.2 V8 is being phased out. That just means SVT is buying time until 5.0 Ecoboost is ready from the Mustang GT500 program ;) Raptor will be back at some point after that.

Does this mean Raptor won't come back until CY 2016 (2015 for SVT Mustang)?

Does this mean Raptor won't come back until CY 2016 (2015 for SVT Mustang)?

Hmm. Wouldn't that make 2015 the first model year without any SVT products in the lineup since it launched? Cobra ran to 2004. Lightning was still around in 2000 the year the Cobra wasn't. GT was out in 05 and 06. GT500 returned in 07.

Edited by NickF1011

Tremor was an exercise in packaging... standard cab + 3.5 Ecoboost + short bed + graphic package thrown in to justify the up charge. There wasn't any special changes so it would be easy enough for Ford to make that exact combo available again. Although I imagine they will strictly control such combo availability because 2017 CAFE is based on "footprint", which means SWB standard car pickup trucks are extremely CAFE negative.

Don't forget the 4:10 ratio rear gears with limited slip....not normally available in that configuration...

Hmm. Wouldn't that make 2015 the first model year without any SVT products in the lineup since it launched? Cobra ran to 2004. Lightning was still around in 2000 the year the Cobra wasn't. GT was out in 05 and 06. GT500 returned in 07.

Why do you think there will be no Shelby product in 15?

The Ford GT was not technically an SVT product.

Why do you think there will be no Shelby product in 15?

The Ford GT was not technically an SVT product.

In the 2015 model year, it seems unlikely there will be. The next Shelby probably won't debut at the same time as the 2015 Mustang.

And while the GT may not have been entirely SVT, they did play a large role in its development.