How long till Ford sends a referral check?

Why do people continually confuse Ford with dealerships? Just because the sign says Ford that doesn't mean the dealer is Ford.

Like it or not, that's how people think and Ford needs to remember that when interacting with customers. To the customer, there is no difference.

Certainly they should know, but if all customers knew everything, these forums would be pretty empty. Ford needs to act on the assumption that the customer does not know the difference and move forward from there.

What can they possibly do beyond what they're already doing? Franchise laws have their hands pretty much tied when it comes to influencing dealer behavior.

Should they start putting a disclaimer on all their ads that the dealers are independent businesses and they have very little control over them?

Customers need to be able to separate Ford from the dealer just like they don't blame Sony for something that Best Buy does.

What can they possibly do beyond what they're already doing? Franchise laws have their hands pretty much tied when it comes to influencing dealer behavior.

Should they start putting a disclaimer on all their ads that the dealers are independent businesses and they have very little control over them?

Customers need to be able to separate Ford from the dealer just like they don't blame Sony for something that Best Buy does.

They could start by not instantly pointing the finger at the dealer when someone calls Ford Customer Service. Take a little time to actually explain to the customer what the differences are between Ford and the dealership and who is responsible for what. Not saying they don't do this to some extent already, but it seems obvious in some cases they aren't going far enough.

They could start by not instantly pointing the finger at the dealer when someone calls Ford Customer Service. Take a little time to actually explain to the customer what the differences are between Ford and the dealership and who is responsible for what. Not saying they don't do this to some extent already, but it seems obvious in some cases they aren't going far enough.

I agree they could do a lot more with customer service especially when it comes to resolving recurring or long term problems. I'd like to see them buy more vehicles back with no questions asked rather than forcing the customer to go the lemon law route. That can be done without the dealer.

I agree they could do a lot more with customer service especially when it comes to resolving recurring or long term problems. I'd like to see them buy more vehicles back with no questions asked rather than forcing the customer to go the lemon law route. That can be done without the dealer.

That's a difficult line to straddle though. They wouldn't want to establish a precedent that could be used by other disgruntled owners to force Ford to buy back their vehicles when it's not necessarily justified.

I asked because it seemed a thing Ford the company would do for moving cars. Had I known it was the dealer specific thing I'd ask them directly.

But as luck would have it, the salesman called me just a few minutes ago inquiring about a Focus my g/f is interested in so I asked him (he sold the car to my friend). He thought I was kidding when I brought it up yesterday. So he'll check into it for me.

That's a difficult line to straddle though. They wouldn't want to establish a precedent that could be used by other disgruntled owners to force Ford to buy back their vehicles when it's not necessarily justified.

Not just a buy back - a vehicle swap. That wouldn't help someone who wanted to go buy another brand. And it would still have to be justified - multiple repair attempts. Ford already gets involved in these issues most of the time. I would just like to see a standard policy internally that would allow the regional manager to authorize a vehicle swap for unhappy customers (one at least). This would go a long way to add customer satisfaction and sidestep dealers who can't fix vehicles properly.

They do it today - but it's rare. They can take the vehicles back, repair them at the factory and sell them to dealerships for loaners or used cars. Without resorting to lemon laws.

I asked because it seemed a thing Ford the company would do for moving cars. Had I known it was the dealer specific thing I'd ask them directly.

But as luck would have it, the salesman called me just a few minutes ago inquiring about a Focus my g/f is interested in so I asked him (he sold the car to my friend). He thought I was kidding when I brought it up yesterday. So he'll check into it for me.

Didn't mean to sound nasty. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people have a bad dealership experience and blame Ford.

Didn't take it as such. Surprised at the tangent the thread went off in.

You haven't been here very long, have you?

Threads without a tangent are rare. We even have a mascot (he's a gent, and he's tan, therefore he's a tan-gent).....

30thanniversarycarouselhopeball2ecx2bsht

• Like 1

That's not from Ford, it's from the dealer. Call the dealer and see what's up.

which ( at least in california ) is illegal, I used to have a system where one referral was an oil change, next a Detail next both etc etc ....I was told to refrain as it crossed legal guidelines..."Bird -dogs " are a no no....yet I scratch my head when they haul people in with "prizes"....hmmmm

Edited by Deanh

I have some experience with this sort of situation in my work life, and I can tell you that the customers don't give two flips that there's a difference between Ford and the dealership, particularly when they have a problem. You can explain it 'til you're blue in the face, and you might as well be trying to explain general relativity to your cat; to them, it's completely irrelevant, they just want the damned problem fixed,

which ( at least in california ) is illegal, I used to have a system where one referral was an oil change, next a Detail next both etc etc ....I was told to refrain as it crossed legal guidelines..."Bird -dogs " are a no no....yet I scratch my head when they haul people in with "prizes"....hmmmm

Seriously? That's illegal? Referral cash? Why is it illegal, because Cali doesn't get their share in taxes?

Seriously? That's illegal? Referral cash? Why is it illegal, because Cali doesn't get their share in taxes?

if from the dealer yes....co-ersion? bribery?....ironic, because Im quite sure some dealers offer free oil changes to customers that purchase from THEIR store...which in my mind is exactly the same....

I have some experience with this sort of situation in my work life, and I can tell you that the customers don't give two flips that there's a difference between Ford and the dealership, particularly when they have a problem. You can explain it 'til you're blue in the face, and you might as well be trying to explain general relativity to your cat; to them, it's completely irrelevant, they just want the damned problem fixed,

But that's my point - if you don't understand that a dealer is an independent business then you won't be able to make the right decisions to get your problems fixed such as going to a different dealer. Too many people stick with one dealer thinking that Ford is the problem when in some cases it's just the dealer. It's not fair to Ford and it doesn't help the customer get their problem fixed. What makes it even worse is that Ford can't control this bad dealer behavior.

Who am I kidding? People are stupid and don't care.