LIVE: Chrysler announces new models as part of 5 year plan

And why is the next Charger being shown as a "new model" instead of a refresh, which it clearly is?

Because that makes it slightly easier to lie about Dodge's future.

Also, the Durango is set to get ANOTHER MCE in 2017, when the Grand Wagoneer comes online? Yeah, right.

Also, SRT Journey? This is a joke, right?

Also, the Durango is set to get ANOTHER MCE in 2017, when the Grand Wagoneer comes online? Yeah, right.

That does make me wonder though, what the heck is going on with the Explorer? Sure, its sales are still strong now, but it's past due for a refresh. Makes me wonder if Ford is falling back into its old ways on some vehicles and just letting them ride while the getting is still good. Or have they cancelled the MCE and are just going to ride it out to get its replacement (and Lincoln sibling) out sooner to consolidate platforms? I don't believe I've seen any spy shots indicating anything either way.

Sorry, back to topic!

• Like 1

That does make me wonder though, what the heck is going on with the Explorer? Sure, its sales are still strong now, but it's past due for a refresh. Makes me wonder if Ford is falling back into its old ways on some vehicles and just letting them ride while the getting is still good. Or have they cancelled the MCE and are just going to ride it out to get its replacement (and Lincoln sibling) out sooner to consolidate platforms? I don't believe I've seen any spy shots indicating anything either way.

Sorry, back to topic!

AFAIK the MCE should still be coming next year? I think it only has a 2 year lifespan before the new model. It's been a while since I've heard anything on the Explorer program.

The timing's a bit off on the Explorer. It and the Lincoln equivalent will be the second vehicles on CD4.2 or whatever they're calling the CUV variant that's underpinning the Edge and MKX. It means a longer than usual product run on the current platform, but that shouldn't hold going forward since combined volumes should pay for a steady upgrade cycle.

A couple of observations:

• B-segment Dodge won't arrive until 2018... but new Fiat Punto is scheduled for 2016 - this is likely a hedge against the fact that by 2018, there won't be a Dodge.
  • Chrysler gets a new midsize CUV in 2016, same time as new Journey and Cherokee facelift - Um yea... 3 midsize CUVs launch in 2016? I don't think so. One of them is probably not happening and I'll let you guess which one.
  • Chrysler gets a fullsize CUV, same time as Jeep Grand Cherokee/Wagoneer and another Durango refresh - rinse and repeat what I said about the midsize CUV.
  • Dodge "returning to its roots" would mean it goes back to selling trucks, not pseudo performance models. But I digress...
  • How many "do overs" does Sergio get on Alfa before it gets taken away from him?
  • After 500X, there is another Fiat niche model scheduled for North America... probably some sort of 500 coupe like Mini coupe.
  • Midsize Fiat (Ram) pickup = ?
Edited by bzcat

Sorry, back to topic!

Um the Explorer didn't really hit the market till early 2011...I remember seeing the first models in December/January 2011...that was only 3 years ago or so. I'd expect a refresh for MY '16 with maybe a new model in CY '18 or so.

The one thing that got me with these presentations is calling the Cherokee a D segment SUV? WTF? Its a C class at best...its not even as big as the Equinox or Edge.

I won't get into the analysis of the rebranding of FCA, but I did want to point out something kind of interesting. Notice on the Jeep slides that they point out the 75th Anniversary of Jeep, but for Dodge there is no mention of Dodge's 100th Anniversary for 2014. I don't know if it was simply overlooked or left off on purpose, but it is interesting nonetheless.

The one thing that got me with these presentations is calling the Cherokee a D segment SUV? WTF? Its a C class at best...its not even as big as the Equinox or Edge.

Cherokee kind of splits the difference between Edge and Escape and there will be a new "C segment" SUV to replace the Patriot and Compass soon which will slot in between Renegade and Cherokee.

But to your point, this is an example of using European vehicle size nomenclature to describe non-European vehicles... it doesn't always make sense.

Ford Edge

Wheelbase 111.2 in (2,824 mm)

Length 184.2 in (4,679 mm)

Width 76.0 in (1,930 mm)

Height 67.0 in (1,702 mm)

Ford Escape

Wheelbase 105.9 in (2,690 mm)

Length 178.1 in (4,524 mm)

Width 72.4 in (1,839 mm)

Height 66.3 in (1,684 mm)

Jeep Cherokee

Wheelbase 106 in (2,692 mm)

Length 182 in (4,623 mm)

Width 73.2 in (1,859 mm) (Sport, Latitude, and Limited models) or 74.9 in (1,902 mm) (Trailhawk model only)

Height 66.2–67.8 in (1,681–1,722 mm)

Edited by bzcat

A little bummed about the Caravan's death and no mid-size for Dodge,

I read that the 6.4 is no longer a SRT only motor and the SRT 300 is being dropped. I wonder if a "special" 300 is in the works with 392 power.

Kill Dodge and throwing six hundred engineers at Alfa Romeo?

The sad part about all this is that Pete DeLorenzo's head probably exploded "Scanners" style halfway through the Fiat presentation, and now they'll have to have a closed casket funeral for him.

Hell, they will just need a big baggie.

I'm not seeing the wisdom of euthanizing a brand that was selling almost a million units a year until the recession, and still moves over 500,000 vehicles annually (even after its biggest seller was taken away). Meanwhile, the company is resurrecting a brand that doesn't have a terrific reputation on its home continent, and left this country with its tail between its legs.

I'm hoping that Fiat-Chrysler leadership really knows what it's doing.

Edited by grbeck

I'm not seeing the wisdom of euthanizing a brand that was selling almost a million units a year until the recession, and still moves over 500,000 vehicles annually (even after its biggest seller was taken away). Meanwhile, the company is resurrecting a brand that doesn't have a terrific reputation on its home continent, and left this country with its tail between its legs.

I'm hoping that Fiat-Chrysler leadership really knows what it's doing.

Well, let's get a reality check. Dodge is a fleet sale brand, like Pontiac before it was killed.

Last year, 31% of Dodge went straight to rental fleets, and another 11% to non-rental fleets. On some models it is a lot higher (e.g. Avenger 58%; Caravan 63%). And keep in mind that all Dodge is passenger vehicles... Ram vans and trucks are excluded so the % of retail mix is terrible for Dodge.

So there is really no point keeping it around if all it is going to do is erode retail profit margin on similar (or identical) Chrysler products.

The idea of a separate performance brand is ok in theory. But the problem is there really isn't enough volume to justify it as a stand alone brand even if it has good products. Pontiac was similar but with terrible products to boot.

Um the Explorer didn't really hit the market till early 2011...I remember seeing the first models in December/January 2011...that was only 3 years ago or so. I'd expect a refresh for MY '16 with maybe a new model in CY '18 or so.

New Explorer went on sale as a 2011 in the latter half of 2010, so it's soon heading into its 5th model year unchanged since then.

Please do, though. I loved watching the one you posted. My heart was racing just watching it from here! :)

Ok - here's one at the same track in a Ferrari F430 Scuderia being driven by one of the pros. The mustang is the pace car. That Scuderia had a racing exhaust and was loud as hell.

• Like 1