Chrysler moving US headquarters to London

Bryan1

LINK

Fiat's home is currently in Turin, Italy, while Chrysler is headquartered in Auburn Hills, outside of Detroit.....

Choosing London as a headquarters makes sense for several reasons, said John Wolkonowicz, an independent auto analyst. London is a financial capital and centrally located among Fiat Chrysler’s far-flung operations.

It also avoids the baggage of choosing either Fiat’s hometown of Turin, Italy, or Michigan, he said.

“If you put it in Detroit, you make Fiat people feel bad and if it’s in Turin, you make Chrysler people feel bad,” he said. “This way it’s neutral ground.”

So will they still run those deep voice "we are American" feel good commercials?

I guess they can still run them, but use somebody with a heavy English accent instead of Clint Eastwood or whoever does them now.

Edited by Hydro

So will they still run those deep voice "we are American" feel good commercials?

I guess they can still run them, but use somebody with a heavy English accent instead of Clint Eastwood or whoever does them now.

Kevin Yon did the latest one for Chrysler. Never heard of him before Googling it just now.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110208/BUSINESS01/102080380/Chrysler-Super-Bowl-ad-How-all-came-together

Sam Elliott is the one with the really deep voice doing the RAM voiceovers.

Sam-Elliott.jpg

Does Marchionne realize that Ford & GM recruiters will be all over this?

Nobody is leaving the US. It's only a shell office going to London. Marchionne, his staff and some other functions. Chrysler remains in Auburn Hills. It's all for tax purposes (or should I say, tax avoidance).

Nobody is leaving the US. It's only a shell office going to London. Marchionne, his staff and some other functions. Chrysler remains in Auburn Hills. It's all for tax purposes (or should I say, tax avoidance).

- I doubt that FCA is going to be running a skeleton operation in London. Marchionne's a control freak. Maybe he honestly believes that it's just going to be a handful of people, but the longer he's there, the more he's going to want his direct reports to either be in the same physical location or working on the same schedule.

- Ford & GM recruiters won't be saying, "Hey, this way you don't have to move to London", they just need to say, "Hey, how about you work for a company where decisions are made in the same time zone."

The U.K. is to tax avoidance as gasoline is to fireproofing.

• Like 1

The U.K. is to tax avoidance as gasoline is to fireproofing.

Marchionne is probably looking at it from an Italian perspective...from what I understand, if you compare it to Italy, Great Britain certainly looks like a tax haven.

Edited by grbeck

Chrysler is not moving to London nor Fiat. The "parent" company is moving there for tax purposes or Chrysler will run out of Auburn Hills and Fiat out of Turin. Who knows?, FCA may move to Manhattan after a few years.

There may have facilities here in the US, but the heaquarters will be elsewhere. And they just changed the sign out in front of the Chrysler buildings to say FCA. So it seems like Chrysler is going away.

Fiat acquired 100% of Chrysler and changed the name and logo and now has a new headquarters in London, so it seems like FCA will be the company now.

"The new FCA logo was created by the Italian branding company Robilant Associati,[9][10] ending the use of the Fiat SpA logo and Chrysler pentastar logo for group branding"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles

Slowly they will be getting rid of the Chrysler company and you'll be buying from FCA. and Chrysler will just be one of the brand names. They already got rid of Dodge with the Ram.

Edited by Bryan1

Well, it was either Fiat or death. Most likely if they had to liquidate, Ford may have bought the Jeep brand, and just kept the Wrangler, cut the others. GM was in no position. Chrysler and Dodge would have joined DeSoto/Plymouth in cemetary. Maybe the Ram truck tooling would have went to Hyundai?

Would you have liked the Chinese to do so? They got SAAB and Volvo.

Point fingers all day, but Fiat stepped up and got them going again.

Well, it was either Fiat or death. Most likely if they had to liquidate, Ford may have bought the Jeep brand, and just kept the Wrangler, cut the others. GM was in no position. Chrysler and Dodge would have joined DeSoto/Plymouth in cemetary. Maybe the Ram truck tooling would have went to Hyundai?

Would you have liked the Chinese to do so? They got SAAB and Volvo.

Point fingers all day, but Fiat stepped up and got them going again.

You are correct. Chrysler would have been dead.

If my memory serves me correctly I think Nissan was after the Ram trucks and Hyundai was looking at Jeep and maybe the minivan, but only Fiat was willing to take the whole thing.

There may have facilities here in the US, but the heaquarters will be elsewhere. And they just changed the sign out in front of the Chrysler buildings to say FCA. So it seems like Chrysler is going away.

Fiat acquired 100% of Chrysler and changed the name and logo and now has a new headquarters in London, so it seems like FCA will be the company now.

"The new FCA logo was created by the Italian branding company Robilant Associati,[9][10] ending the use of the Fiat SpA logo and Chrysler pentastar logo for group branding"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles

Slowly they will be getting rid of the Chrysler company and you'll be buying from FCA. and Chrysler will just be one of the brand names. They already got rid of Dodge with the Ram.

Nope, because FCA change some signs don't mean anything and Dodge is still available in the future . If that's the case Fiat is shutting down as well. Chrysler group its still its entity though it will get some orders from London.