Richard Petty Racing Might Leave Ford To Join Toyota

Today's news has rumors of Petty Enterprises jumping to Toyota. Just like the Truck Series, Toyota will eventually have a significant percentage of Sprint Cup Cars flying the Foreign flag. Ford might lose Edwards too, like Kenseth last year....it's obvious Ford can't keep up with Chevy and Toyota. I watched the All Star Race and it's clear Ford is having trouble.

Only a few die-hard fans. I think most newer NASCAR fans root for drivers or teams and could care less whether they're driving Chevy or Ford replicas.

I think you meant 'couldn't care less.' Unfortunately, I have been a Ford fan for over 50 yrs and always enjoyed the American Car companies racing each other. Since France Jr brought in the Japanese Toyota's, the patriotism and true American Spirit is gone. I predict in the next few years it will be mostly Toyota's with big sponsors support like Fed Ex and Home Depot running the circuit.

I think you meant 'couldn't care less.' Unfortunately, I have been a Ford fan for over 50 yrs and always enjoyed the American Car companies racing each other. Since France Jr brought in the Japanese Toyota's, the patriotism and true American Spirit is gone. I predict in the next few years it will be mostly Toyota's with big sponsors support like Fed Ex and Home Depot running the circuit.

The American car companies haven't raced each other in years. There's not one Ford, Chevy or Dodge on those tracks.

• Like 1

In the first NASCAR road race in 1954 in New Jersey, almost half of the starting field were foreign cars. Jag and MG both won races.

The American car companies haven't raced each other in years. There's not one Ford, Chevy or Dodge on those tracks.

There is product placement and corporate logos everywhere. It may not be noticed when it's there all the time, but if Ford pulls out of sponsorship/involvement, their will be eyeballs seeing GM, Toyota and the other makes....but no one will be thinking of Ford. The old adage was that NASCAR was a proving ground for new technology and product development that leads to innovation in retail auto sales. Whether that is/was true......Ford would not be able make that assertion.

NASCAR fans are the most loyal fans, as far as I have ever known. There may not be as many as NBA or NFL fans, but there is little doubt they spend their money on their driver and their sponsors. Not so much for the sports teams.

There is product placement and corporate logos everywhere. It may not be noticed when it's there all the time, but if Ford pulls out of sponsorship/involvement, their will be eyeballs seeing GM, Toyota and the other makes....but no one will be thinking of Ford. The old adage was that NASCAR was a proving ground for new technology and product development that leads to innovation in retail auto sales. Whether that is/was true......Ford would not be able make that assertion.

NASCAR fans are the most loyal fans, as far as I have ever known. There may not be as many as NBA or NFL fans, but there is little doubt they spend their money on their driver and their sponsors. Not so much for the sports teams.

Do you feel think that the tube frame rear wheel drive stock car is selling the front wheel drive Fusion? Are they going to stop buying Mustangs or F-150's because of it?

I think it would be a shock/couple days of gnashing of teeth in the media and then....all would be forgotten. the "new" nascar would move on without ford. I love to see fords competing, but they're just sticker cars now anyway so I guess who cares. Damn shame from what it used to be in the heyday though....

I'm a Ford fan. When there's a Ford racing, like NASCAR, SportsCar, etc., I go to the tracks, I watch live on TV when I can, DVR what I can't and I keep up with them on apps & websites. When there are no Fords racing in series, like IndyCar, F1, etc., then I rarely watch or pay attention unless it's the Indy 500. Ford being involved in NASCAR and other forms of motorsports is more important than you think. I don't think Richard Petty is leaving Ford, he's just trying to leverage the best deal that he can. But, if Toyota, Kia, VW, Dodge or whoever gives him a better deal, more power to him.

I know NASCAR fans who are more Ford loyal than some Ford employees.

NASCAR fan are a unique crowd. Without Ford Racing, they would still survive, but as I did, when Toyota began racing, I quit NASCAR and all related to it. I've saved thousands in cars, shirts, posters, tickets, beer, pretzels, hot dogs and hours standing in line for autographs................and again, to get rid of the beer.

The point was NASCAR used to race the same cars you could go buy at the dealership. That hasn't been true for the last 3+ decades. The only thing Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Toyota is the engine block and even that isn't the same as production vehicles. They all use Ford rear ends.

You're right about NASCAR fans (and Ford NASCAR fans) being extremely loyal. Which means they're going to buy Fords no matter what. It's not like they're going to switch from Ford to Chevy or Toyota just because Ford drops out.

If there was a big opportunity to grab new buyers then Ford would be pouring big money into sponsorship. There isn't and they aren't.

• Like 1

I'm a Ford fan. When there's a Ford racing, like NASCAR, SportsCar, etc., I go to the tracks, I watch live on TV when I can, DVR what I can't and I keep up with them on apps & websites. When there are no Fords racing in series, like IndyCar, F1, etc., then I rarely watch or pay attention unless it's the Indy 500. Ford being involved in NASCAR and other forms of motorsports is more important than you think. I don't think Richard Petty is leaving Ford, he's just trying to leverage the best deal that he can. But, if Toyota, Kia, VW, Dodge or whoever gives him a better deal, more power to him.

It sounds to me like Ford is drawing you into those sports as opposed to those sports drawing you to Ford. :)

• Like 1

Meh, I know plenty of Carl Edwards fans that have never owned a Ford in their life and continue to buy non-Fords.

Bingo. It's all about the drivers and the teams, not the cars. The cars are interchangeable as we've found out the last few years with so many teams switching brands and mfrs pulling out.

EXACTLY! And that is my point, people follow drivers, I could care less who is behind the wheel, i want to see a ford take the checkered. But as my neighbor did, she was driving a chev and was a tony stewart fan. Tony switched to toyota and she bought a (she called red, looked orangish to me) toyota. Tony switched back and the following year her lease was due so she bought a chev again.

Anyway, love to see ford compete but wherever they feel it's got roi is what I support. (even if I do cringe when i see ford skating and ford tennis etc)

EXACTLY! And that is my point, people follow drivers, I could care less who is behind the wheel, i want to see a ford take the checkered. But as my neighbor did, she was driving a chev and was a tony stewart fan. Tony switched to toyota and she bought a (she called red, looked orangish to me) toyota. Tony switched back and the following year her lease was due so she bought a chev again.

Anyway, love to see ford compete but wherever they feel it's got roi is what I support. (even if I do cringe when i see ford skating and ford tennis etc)

Point taken however, Some loyal Ford followers were upset when Kenseth moved to the Japanese team....I personally was upset when Jarrett left Ford to help the Toyota teams. Some do follow drivers, but some don't , especially when all their memorabilia purchases are WORTHLESS after that long standing driver jumps to the opponent. I am a Forever Ford loyalist and have some expensive Dale Jarrett purchases that are worthless. Do you think drivers like Dale Jr would ever go Japanese....not. I'm just saying.

Why would those Dale Jarrett purchases be worthless? They are worth just as much as they used to be to anyone who likes Dale Jarrett since it is Dale Jarrett merchandise, and would be just as valuable to a Ford collector since they are Ford-related. That's like saying that Joe Montana 49ers memorabilia isn't worth as much because he played awhile for the Chiefs.

Why would those Dale Jarrett purchases be worthless? They are worth just as much as they used to be to anyone who likes Dale Jarrett since it is Dale Jarrett merchandise, and would be just as valuable to a Ford collector since they are Ford-related. That's like saying that Joe Montana 49ers memorabilia isn't worth as much because he played awhile for the Chiefs.

Looks like my long answer to your question was lost. Briefly, in my world of friends who follow NASCAR, we are Ford loyalists and we follow brand not driver. Just like Montana playing all those years with San Fran and then going to KC. You have to acknowledge that anyone wearing a Montana shirt at a Chief's game in San Fran after he joined KC will hear the negative comments. They follow the team...not the player. Same with most NASCAR followers. Once Kenseth left Ford for the Japanese Toyota team.....his Ford Dewalt shirts are worthless....Anyway, it's all about different opinions. I cheer Carl Edwards because he represents my team..but would not hesitate to boo him if he left for a Chevy or Japanese Toyota.

Looks like my long answer to your question was lost. Briefly, in my world of friends who follow NASCAR, we are Ford loyalists and we follow brand not driver. Just like Montana playing all those years with San Fran and then going to KC. You have to acknowledge that anyone wearing a Montana shirt at a Chief's game in San Fran after he joined KC will hear the negative comments. They follow the team...not the player. Same with most NASCAR followers. Once Kenseth left Ford for the Japanese Toyota team.....his Ford Dewalt shirts are worthless....Anyway, it's all about different opinions. I cheer Carl Edwards because he represents my team..but would not hesitate to boo him if he left for a Chevy or Japanese Toyota.

What does any of that have to do with selling new Ford vehicles?

Look - it's perfectly fine and understandable to say "I'm a Ford fan and I'd like to see Ford involved in my favorite sport.".

It's an entirely different proposition to say that Ford should be investing money in these sports to sell vehicles and garner profits.