Propane Fueled School Bus

And then there were two:

http://media.navistar.com/index.php?s=43&item698

Notice Navistar comments about current propane engines that are underpowered and lack torque at lower r.p.m.'s.? That's a dig against the Ford V-10 it you ask me.

Regardless, their Powertrain Solutions 8.8L puts out some very impressive numbers.

Edited by 7Mary3

And then there were two:

http://media.navistar.com/index.php?s=43&item=689

Notice Navistar comments about current propane engines that are underpowered and lack torque at lower r.p.m.'s.? That's a dig against the Ford V-10 it you ask me.

Regardless, their Powertrain Solutions 8.8L puts out some very impressive numbers.

7M-I think you are missing an attachment? I see nothing regarding school buses or propane power as an option

The PSI 8.8 liter looks like a V8 to me. It is not a Navistar block. I think it is a derivative or extension of the out of production GM 8.1 liter V8 block. PSI has an 8.1 liter that looks as if is a straight 6 - a completely different engine.

I did not see any pictures of the motor....assumed it was a straight six....even a V8 in that size would have some rather large pistons...would love to read about it some more...

Technically speaking, there's nothing technically insurmountable stopping Ford from taking the existing mod v-10 block and doing to it what they did to the coyote or 5.8 l block and turning it into a 7.4l engine. Its also not technically far fetched for them to adapt the dohc setup from the 4 valve 5.4l engines and make only the intake cam variable and drive the balance shaft from the exhaust cam. Doing both of those things would result in a taller and broader torque curve that is more competitive than the existing engine. If that setup is suitable for the 5.0l in the F-150, it should work here too.

Just my 1.5 cents

I think it would be tough to get the 6.8L over 7.5L without sacrificing strength and reliability, particularly in a medium duty truck/school bus application. Can't bore it much more before the cylinder walls and coolant flow between cylinders become compromised, can't stroke it too much because there isn't much room in the crankcase to swing a bigger crank. Rod ratio gets pretty bad too. This is a different ball game than a high performance car engine, the duty cycle is much more punishing. 7.5L is still short of 8.8L and I don't see how you would get the V-10 to there unless you made it a V-12. Good idea about a VVT intake cam. Would like to see proper cam bearings and a more robust timing chain/tensioner for heavy duty service as well.

Is the Lima tooling still around??? There's the answer!

Did someone mention large cylinders?

1191626986_rta96c_cyldeck.jpg

9 cylinders?

Anyone with more practical understanding of firing order & balancing know how a 9 cylinder engine would work? You'd fire once every 80 degrees, which seems to mean that no two pistons would ever be simultaneously at TDC & BDC. Would you just fire them sequentially from front to back?

Edit: Oh, wait. I guess there's 10.

Edited by RichardJensen

Is the Lima tooling still around??? There's the answer!

I believe I suggested that a while ago -but with state of art ignition, injection etc. I think there were a few responses as to why that would not work-other than production equipment all gone. How about it guys??? (Too lazy/busy to research xxx posts :) )

Non synchromesh manual transmissions may seem difficult to those who only drive automatics, but like any skill, shifting them can be learned. You just have to concentrate on driving, not the personal electronic devices.

I was thinking more of the fun of double-clutching to shift a transmission with only four speeds on a vehicle of that size, and with that much inertia to overcome over and over again in traffic. Especially if first was really short and you'd have to keep shifting to second once you hit 5 or 10 mph.

Edited by RichardJensen

Jon Kasse is making massive hp and tq with the Boss heads he designed/built/offer for sale. Imagine if Ford made a twin cam, direct inj one at say 545 CU IN or so...even 521 or 514 is easy to do. Leave it at 8-9:1 comp for the lugging without detonation and it would have CRAZY numbers at diesel rpm's.

We had a few 8.1 GM's in cut away cube vans here, they'd roast the dually's at will, but nosed over around 38-4000rpm. Full throttle would roast the tires, taper off then bark into 2nd and then quickly taper off again, bang into 3rd then taper off and felt "all done" around 110kph at 4000rpm. Wicked weight transfer when you hammered it LOL!

umm...I heard..yeah that's it, I heard that... ;)

As far as I know, the casting and machining lines are long gone.

Thx- probably your answer months ago that I had in the back of my mind. didn't know if it was Ford SOP to scrap EVERYTHING. I do believe there are Ford tractor components still being built in the third world using old ford tooling- or so I thoiught I read on one of the tractor sites.